Votes: 12 32.4%
  • C6

Votes: 25 67.6%

• Total voters

PetrolHead

When's the next track day
Car(s)
MKVI GTI
Wow... I'd write more but I'm phone handicapped.

18k on a car you don't like as much as the c6gs is still 18k spent wrong... Its cheaper for a reason...

C5s are not where its at... Sorry

Disagree.

Sure, I don't like the C5 as much, but it's less than half the price. I would hope I didn't like it as much considering the cost. But honestly, I'd say I like it 90% as much considering that I can drive it ZFG and have no car payment. It was really quite a bit of fun to drive, and the C6 wasn't THAT much of an improvement, IMO. The value per enjoyment is off the charts with the C5, and when I decide to sell it in a year (let's be honest), it won't depreciate nearly as much as a GS would, and I could buy a GS or something else then.

It's the right choice at the right time, I think.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
All 03s are 50ths, you are correct.

I do have sway bars here, those are in good shape with the good end links and bushings. It's the exhaust and brakes that are questionable. You could probably fix the exhaust to be functionally 100% though and iirc the scratches on the tips are on the bottom.

I'll take a closer look at everything later, it has been in my basement for 6 months so kind of fuzzy.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

PetrolHead

Car(s)
MKVI GTI
All 03s are 50ths, you are correct.

I do have sway bars here, those are in good shape with the good end links and bushings. It's the exhaust and brakes that are questionable. You could probably fix the exhaust to be functionally 100% though and iirc the scratches on the tips are on the bottom.

I'll take a closer look at everything later, it has been in my basement for 6 months so kind of fuzzy.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Cool. Is there an improvement in C6 Z51 bars vs. C5 Z06 bars that you know of?

Let me know if you want to part with any of it, and how much if you're able to bring it out during t-day.

PetrolHead

Car(s)
MKVI GTI
Actually, the more that I think about the C5 vs C6 and liking which better, I actually came away from the C5 more connected. Like in my initial review, there's something about the C5 that's really enjoyable...like a bunch of parts that just happen to work together in a way that's a ton of fun, even though it shouldn't. Hard to explain, but it really feels like the right decision.

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
The 50th thing is such a joke, but it really does enhance value. Keep it nice, and it probably won't depreciate much. My car has a 50th front badge and a 50th badge on the gauge cluster. All 03's must have gotten that. I'm 80% of the way to your car, and I don't have to deal with any beige. :laugh:

It's definitely a joke. I like that my car is loaded feature wise though and it could help my value. The beige is a slight bummer but I really don't give a fuck.

Actually, the more that I think about the C5 vs C6 and liking which better, I actually came away from the C5 more connected. Like in my initial review, there's something about the C5 that's really enjoyable...like a bunch of parts that just happen to work together in a way that's a ton of fun, even though it shouldn't. Hard to explain, but it really feels like the right decision.

Sometimes going with your gut is the right thing to do.

Doesn't hurt that your gut points you towards a $20k cheaper car that won't depreciate.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
I like the red/tan and mag wheels.

I'm sick and tired of the coolguy internet trend these days to paint everything matte gray and walk around with your head down depressed about everything while never wearing or doing anything that expresses anything at all - except of course for calling people tasteless for having any taste at all, that is fully expected and encouraged!

Colors are OK. Gloss is OK.

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
Some purists would hate this, but fuck it, it's golfmk6, home of the hack and slash......

You have Speedline Magnesium wheels. They are lightweight and high quality Italian wheels. I would not replace them with some heavy wheel, I would just powder coat them if you don't like the stock color.

They were a $3k upgrade for most of the years of the C5, but you'll only get about $1200 for them used if they are perfect. I've seen them go for $600-$1200 depending on condition.

I honestly didn't know much about them, thanks for the info. I like the color actually, and they're in perfect shape, I'll probably keep them, I just also really like
the look of multi spoke wheels on C5s, like what max had on his... but if they're light I'll probably just throw some real tires on and call it a day.

I'm sick and tired of the coolguy internet trend these days to paint everything matte gray and walk around with your head down depressed about everything while never wearing or doing anything that expresses anything at all - except of course for calling people tasteless for having any taste at all, that is fully expected and encouraged!

I love my exterior color, and the tan works with it, but I'd still prefer a black or gray interior.

And I agree about colors, I wish more automakers would sell cars in neat colors, I remember buying the GTI and being bummed that it was basically gray scale or red... I dig what you did with your car.

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
I see Maximus Darkcloudius has stopped in to rain on the C5 Targa parade.

Chris wants a fun car that's track capable and not stupid expensive. I think the C5 hits all the numbers properly, and where it doesn't hit them directly, it can be modded with reasonably-priced parts to bring it in line with the desired performance figures.

PetrolHead

Car(s)
MKVI GTI

I can't stand matte paint finishes and wraps. I also really prefer colors, and had SG not been so striking on the C5, I would have continued looking for EB (which is still one of my top colors ever). Gotta take what you can get though, and I consider myself fortunate to have found such a neat gray.

I draw the line at beige or light colored interiors. I can't stand them. Gotta be black or maybe chocolate brown. Some tans are ok, but it depends on the car.

I love my exterior color, and the tan works with it, but I'd still prefer a black or gray interior.

And I agree about colors, I wish more automakers would sell cars in neat colors, I remember buying the GTI and being bummed that it was basically gray scale or red... I dig what you did with your car.

The GTI color palate is one of the worst in existence. So drab and boring.

I see Maximus Darkcloudius has stopped in to rain on the C5 Targa parade.

Chris wants a fun car that's track capable and not stupid expensive. I think the C5 hits all the numbers properly, and where it doesn't hit them directly, it can be modded with reasonably-priced parts to bring it in line with the desired performance figures.

Right.

The funny thing is, if you look back in my thread, when I first mentioned the idea of getting a vette, he thought getting a C6 was one of the dumbest ideas ever. Nomatter what you do, he'll tell you it's wrong. :clap:

Anyway, yes...your take on the C5 is the same as mine. It's going to be a great car for what I want me thinks.

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
Right.

The funny thing is, if you look back in my thread, when I first mentioned the idea of getting a vette, he thought getting a C6 was one of the dumbest ideas ever. Nomatter what you do, he'll tell you it's wrong. :clap:

Anyway, yes...your take on the C5 is the same as mine. It's going to be a great car for what I want me thinks.

And that's why Max is the worst forum member.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
Maximus Darkcloudius

:clap:

Spiral gray actually looks good, especially with the curves of the C5. That color has some dynamics/depth to it that make it not boring. I bet it's really sharp at night too.

The silver that came on my car, on the other hand, was rental car boring.

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
:clap:

Spiral gray actually looks good, especially with the curves of the C5. That color has some dynamics/depth to it that make it not boring. I bet it's really sharp at night too.

The silver that came on my car, on the other hand, was rental car boring.

Trufus.

Dem ramz, doe, on Spiral Gray.