GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

bad news

Rabbit GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
a GTI.
EMB145Driver said:
I might let my son have mine. He'll be of legal driving age in 10 years. Then again, I might just keep it for me.

just keep it for yourself...this is one of those cars you want to keep for a long time, i believe these will have the same type of following that the MkII's have right now in 15-20 years.

Teknophreak

Rally Car Champion
GTI lover all over again said:
How can you teach someone responsibility and accountability if you hand over a car like a GTI to a kid, sorry son, but at 16 you are still just a kid, not old enough to vote.

I have made my children purchase and pay for their own vehicles, :eek:

yup, no free hand out here dude:thumbsup:

You appreciate what you earn!:headbang:

Anyone that would give a 16 yo a GTI is just plain stupid. That's borderline child endangerment. I understand the OP though. Remember how long 2 or 3 years seemed when you were a kid? Go to school, get a good education(degree), get a good job, THEN get a nice ride.

heftylefty

golfmkv elitist -_-
smp85 said:
lol probably like 10 grand...

j/k dude, good for you that you are 18 and making your own payments :headbang:

haha its cool. my parents put a 5K down payment on it. but i have a 5 year monthly payment on it so it'll be a while till its paid off. hopefully in a little over 2 years it'll be paid off.

i already had to get a new tire for it..damn street speed pracautions fucked me over and popped a hole in my sidewall. 225 and it got me a new tire...definetely set me back a month for a chip.

HydroGTI

Drag Race Newbie
drbubble33 said:
as much as i want the MKv my parents wont help shed the money out for it. they say its too expensive and insurance costs too much for it. kinda sucks. now imma end up getting a scion or a honda or something economobile status. scion xB or the Honda Fit. ehh. i wish i got a job earlier to make up that extra dough. shiiiiitttt.

do you currently own a car?

RJS5689

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
2006 MKV GTI
Teknophreak said:
Anyone that would give a 16 yo a GTI is just plain stupid. That's borderline child endangerment. I understand the OP though. Remember how long 2 or 3 years seemed when you were a kid? Go to school, get a good education(degree), get a good job, THEN get a nice ride.
actually its not "plain stupid" nor is it "close to child endangrement" that has to be quite possibly the most STUPID, asinine thing i have EVER heard. If people have money FUCK IT let them get their kids what tehy want, where is it YOUR place to tell someone how to parent? If the kid wnats to appriciate it, he/she will, if they dont want to, fine then you have a spoild brat. I love my GTI more than ANYTHING in the world, and it was given to me by my parents. I show nothing but the upmost respect for it, and i appriciate it MORE THAN ANYTHING, so i dont see where you can come across and tell other people who have money how to parents their chirldern, and how they will have no respect, because it is just plain wrong. If you ahve ever read where i live, you know the cars people drive, and you know the new Mercs, Lexus, BMWs ETC that kids drive. Lemme say something, alot of them dont appriciate them, and alot of them do. You refer to getting an education first? i think going to one of the top 25 scools in the country constitutes getting a good education, when your schools AVG sat score on the 1600 scale was OVER 1200, i think your getting a good education.Im really sick of people on this board making asinine coments twored the people who are fortunate to have nice cars at a young age, and i know im not the only one here, because i have seen comments like this made before.

steve-d

Go Kart Champion
newtogolf said:
in the UK, drivers in their teens can only dream of driving a new GTI. the pricing is just way out of bounds for entry level driving.

young drivers mostly end up with old ford fiestas, nissan micras, renault clios, peugeut 106s. the stupid ones will try to mod these cars in order to race them.

this is the first car ive owned, being payed for by myself. because its my money i take good care of it and drive it responsibly.

i wouldve loved a GTI but its just way beyond my reach financially, despite my salary being quite reasonable.

I live in the UK and was 19 when I bought my MK5 GTI, yes it was a lot of money but I worked hard during college and have a really good job, and now have my GTI. I am now 20.

nomad

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
novaboy16 said:
Fuck the Mk4....go rock a MK2 or mk1...You can work on them your own, they are peppy, fun to learn on, and don't cost as much...They might be ugly...but dubs always are...it will make you appreciate owning a newer one...

Me I have had about 5 mk2s and have loved every single one of them,even if some of them did leave me on the side of the road every now and then, but that is what it is all about...I know VWs roots...and the mk4, mk3s never had it...if you really want to know what a dub love is all about...go rock a mk1...show yourself how hardcore you really are

i agree with this, go with older cars and bring them up. renders a proper appriciation for a vechicle. more than you can imagine.

nomad

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
steve-d said:
I live in the UK and was 19 when I bought my MK5 GTI, yes it was a lot of money but I worked hard during college and have a really good job, and now have my GTI. I am now 20.

i agree completely, i worked my ass off since i was 14 till i turned 17 and got my first car, a honda crx si with 160k on it, i loved that car so much. i joined the army when i turned 18 ill be 20 in october and ill be picking up my mkV gti ;) word.

:smoking:

newtogolf

FIA World Rally Car Champion
steve-d said:

id say your an exception though. you must be earning a fortune cos most 20yr olds these days are at uni not even earning a penny and struggling on their overdrafts. its only until theyre about 24 when they are earning enough money to be able to buy nice things.

most people in their teens who are gona have a 20k car have got parents who are loaded and have never done a days work.

in the states it seems a lot different. cars seem to be very affordable and little problem money wise. thats why most teenagers can drive around in a GTI.

trick000

FIA World Rally Car Champion
RJS5689 said:
actually its not "plain stupid" nor is it "close to child endangrement" that has to be quite possibly the most STUPID, asinine thing i have EVER heard. If people have money FUCK IT let them get their kids what tehy want, where is it YOUR place to tell someone how to parent? If the kid wnats to appriciate it, he/she will, if they dont want to, fine then you have a spoild brat. I love my GTI more than ANYTHING in the world, and it was given to me by my parents. I show nothing but the upmost respect for it, and i appriciate it MORE THAN ANYTHING, so i dont see where you can come across and tell other people who have money how to parents their chirldern, and how they will have no respect, because it is just plain wrong. If you ahve ever read where i live, you know the cars people drive, and you know the new Mercs, Lexus, BMWs ETC that kids drive. Lemme say something, alot of them dont appriciate them, and alot of them do. You refer to getting an education first? i think going to one of the top 25 scools in the country constitutes getting a good education, when your schools AVG sat score on the 1600 scale was OVER 1200, i think your getting a good education.Im really sick of people on this board making asinine coments twored the people who are fortunate to have nice cars at a young age, and i know im not the only one here, because i have seen comments like this made before.

I know I'm being mean but if you brag about going to a top 25 school, please spell your words correctly and make use of paragraphs. Thanks.

Feed the fire! :evil:

plac

GTI Master
if you have to go with Scion at least go with a TC. That Xb is the most ghetto car I've ever laid eyes on . I think it has 90hp.

ligirl

Passed Driver's Ed
Must agree with those who say "Do it on your Own"
Having my own 17yr old who just got his 1st car this week with money he
has been saving since he was 15 --- has taught him responsibility and
he will take pride in what he has worked so hard for. If you come from
money or not - Character, Responsibility are qualities kids do not have
today - because so much is handed to them.

You will thank your parents one day!

Last edited:

RJS5689

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
2006 MKV GTI
trick000 said:
I know I'm being mean but if you brag about going to a top 25 school, please spell your words correctly and make use of paragraphs. Thanks.

Feed the fire! :evil:
haha nah i know, i was typing that in a hurry. I was tryign to bang it out before i had to be AT WORK, where i make my OWN SPENDING MONEY.

trevor

Southeast Forum Dictator
Car(s)
Subaru WRX STI
If you're going to spend ~15k on a car get a used car, please.