GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY: Diverter Valve Change - tips

TwentyonePSI

Crody
Car(s)
FSI
Cool story bro. Sorry that whoever posted this DIY was wrong and I didnt want the same thing that happened to me to happen to someone else.

Yup, you're the only one to notice in the 3 1/2 years this DIY has been here that VW uses SAE bolts.

We've all been lost until you and your inside info from VW became available. Thank you, you've saved us.

LateAPXR

Ready to race!
Here's a tip that I don't think has been mentioned yet.

DON'T drop the damn bolts by accident into the subframe. You'll never find them.

I was laying under the car (feet pointing towards the front end of course) and when taking the last bolt off it dropped and I saw it fall down and straight out of my peripheral vision. Never hit the ground, didn't fall into my hoodie's hood...it just went...somewhere.

They're cheap bolts, $0.40 at the dealership parts department IIRC, but it's definitely a huge pain in the ass trying to find the bolt in the subframe and then to get a ride over to the dealership.

ChattMkv

Level 80 Procrasturbator
Car(s)
2007 VW GTI
Here's a tip that I don't think has been mentioned yet.

DON'T drop the damn bolts by accident into the subframe. You'll never find them.

I was laying under the car (feet pointing towards the front end of course) and when taking the last bolt off it dropped and I saw it fall down and straight out of my peripheral vision. Never hit the ground, didn't fall into my hoodie's hood...it just went...somewhere.

They're cheap bolts, $0.40 at the dealership parts department IIRC, but it's definitely a huge pain in the ass trying to find the bolt in the subframe and then to get a ride over to the dealership.

Been there. Know that feel. I found mine with a magnet-on-a-stick luckily though.

george_kitchukov

Just replaced my stock dv with this one http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_V--2.0T/Search/Diverter/ES263879/

The install was quick and easy just using a set of 12,000lb rhino ramps.

Just wanted to pitch in and say yes this can be done without too much issue using an allen wrench and a shaft from a screw driver ( as Travis MKV said).
Also when un-doing the electrical plug, i found the easiest way was to push the whole clip together ( just like you would as if you were putting it back together) then insert a standard screw driver into the square box looking thingy on the top of the clip, and just twisting the blade a little bit, you will head a slight click you then just simply pull the unit apart.
Also make sure when removing your origional dv that the yellow o-ring ( the big one that goes around the outer most part of the unit ) comes off. Mine stayed on the car when I took it off and I almost missed it when I put the new one back on.

GREAT DIY mose6161!!!
Thanks

are you happy with this dv...does it hold high boost

Mantus

Passed Driver's Ed
Got my DV installed today with help from this DIY. Thanks a lot. I also dropped a bolt into the subframe, and managed to get it out with a magnet.

ChattMkv

Level 80 Procrasturbator
Car(s)
2007 VW GTI
Got my DV installed today with help from this DIY. Thanks a lot. I also dropped a bolt into the subframe, and managed to get it out with a magnet.

Welcome to an elite club my friend. :lol:

jss20stx

I replaced the DV today after the dealer noted that there was oil leakage. As I removed the three bolts holding the old DV on I noticed that they were barely finger tight and removed with little effort. After I installed the new DV I examined the old one and found no tears anywhere to indicate any issues. Could the one old have simply been loose causing the oil leak?

bch12

Thank you, saved me a lot of time trying to figure it out on my own. Really love the VW community.

Last edited: