GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY: Diverter Valve Change - tips

dbgti

Say whaaa?
couldnt find it searching.. where exactly is the dv located?
K so this is the front of the car ^ To the right is the passenger front tire

Back and to the right is the oil pan

Get under the car (Use jackstands or ramps with the rear wheels chalked)
With your body pointing toward the rear of the car and just inwards of the passenger wheel (and the rock shield off) put your face just before the oil pan.
Then look up into the 6"x6" gap, stick your hand about halfway up and you should see/feel the wire connector.

vath

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 GTI
does this just happen to FSi engines? I have a TSI that every once in a while will experience the symptoms of bad DV when I'm running my APR tune. Without the tune the car seems to run normal, but last night I down shifted to 5th to pass on the highway and stepped on it and the car had some hesitation, felt almost like a misfire or something, but didnt throw a code. Seem like a DV problem to you guys? Thanks!

How many miles on the car? Mine started to misfire under hard acceleration 2500rpm and up, so I gave it a 40,000 mile tune up, coilpacks, plugs NGK PFR7Q gapped to .028" and torqued to 21 ft-lbs and my car is back to normal.... I did replace the DV with the 'D' revision, buy there was nothing wrong with my old 'G' DV after inspection. The misfires when away after the spark plug and coil pack swap.

CEODFW

Upgrade!
Car(s)
2009 BM MkV GTI
does this just happen to FSi engines? I have a TSI that every once in a while will experience the symptoms of bad DV when I'm running my APR tune. Without the tune the car seems to run normal, but last night I down shifted to 5th to pass on the highway and stepped on it and the car had some hesitation, felt almost like a misfire or something, but didnt throw a code. Seem like a DV problem to you guys? Thanks!

I have the same EXACT issue and thrilled I'm not the only one! I (un?)fortunately threw a CEL tonight on my way home from work. Perhaps I held the throttle down too much through the "hesitation" and the computer finally noticed there is a problem. Boost gauge was finally installed today and the hesitation, for me, occurs when I spike/max out at approx 20 PSI.
I don't have a VAG-COM, so I'll be hitting up an autozone for a CEL code.

Personally, I'm hoping it's a bad DV. (this DIY is MONEY)
I'll let you know what I find out from Autozone.
In the mean time, anyone else have any further insight into this, seemingly rare issue?
Is it the DV? Coil Packs? Spark Plugs? PCV?
TIA :bow:

Car(s)
2008 GTI
The DV is really quite simple, it's just three Allen bolts. Nabbed mine from MJM Autohaus for $65 shipped I believe.

Mosess

Forgot my old password
Yes the previous descriptions of the location are correct. Passenger side, in front of the oil pan.

I only included one picture / required tools to show the best way to get the 3rd bolt. The first time I tried this I had the wrong tools and spent an hour trying to get this bolt off.

The other two are remarkably easy.

Also it's helpful to open the hood in order to let some extra light in.

Car(s)
2008 GTI
All three bolts are incredibly easy. As long as you have the right tools. 1/4 drive ratchet and a selection of extensions with Allen bits and I tore it right off. Done it twice now.

WickedLou9

I'm a geek
Car(s)
2008 GTI
I have the same EXACT issue and thrilled I'm not the only one! I (un?)fortunately threw a CEL tonight on my way home from work. Perhaps I held the throttle down too much through the "hesitation" and the computer finally noticed there is a problem. Boost gauge was finally installed today and the hesitation, for me, occurs when I spike/max out at approx 20 PSI.
I don't have a VAG-COM, so I'll be hitting up an autozone for a CEL code.

Personally, I'm hoping it's a bad DV. (this DIY is MONEY)
I'll let you know what I find out from Autozone.
In the mean time, anyone else have any further insight into this, seemingly rare issue?
Is it the DV? Coil Packs? Spark Plugs? PCV?
TIA :bow:

if you are hitting 20 psi it's not the DV. With a blown DV you won't be able to make more than 6 or 7 psi. The rest just vents out the intake. What you describe sounds more like mis firing. usually you get a blinking CEL when that happens. I had the same issue on mine around 60k miles. replaced plugs and coil packs, problem solved.