GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY: Diverter Valve Change - tips

adamgti

Trust me, I'm an engineer
Car(s)
07 CW GTI 4 dr
I really think i need to upgrade my dv simply because these orange rubber ones are notorious for breaking and leaking. My question is should i get the upgraded VW OEM piston DV? i found one shop just US$69.99 + shipping
http://www.bold-sport.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=91

or the forge DV??
and for those of you who say forge please explain why because the forge is almost 200 dollars more than the OEM one.

:bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow:

You'd be fine with OEM D

Tr!tan!um

Schnellen geher!
Car(s)
2008 GTI, white
Bump for a good DIY thread, and thanks GAICUser for posting the comparo pics of the rev-D vs old DVs - now I know what to look for...

edit: the previous owner added a forge DV... yay!

Last edited:

ChattMkv

Level 80 Procrasturbator
Car(s)
2007 VW GTI
Used this today to swap out my stock DV which turned out to be a Revision C to a new Revision D. Would have taken 45 minutes but my friend dropped one of the screws when trying to reassemble and it took us over an hour to finally find the screw that had somehow bounced in under the giant metal undercarriage plate. Finally used an air compressor to blow the screw out and got everything screwed in tight after using Locktite on each screw. Started up the car and it definitely sounds a little crisper than the old valve did and a small bit louder (which I like). Big thanks to the OP.

josein06gli

GLI OWNER
Car(s)
VW Jetta GLI

ChattMkv

Level 80 Procrasturbator
Car(s)
2007 VW GTI
Fixed...

Sent using Tapatalk

Haha, yeah well we didn't have a 1/4 inch drive either so we regrettably made due with a smaller one and it just took longer. Also I'm slow. :rolleyes:

maotsetung

maotsetung ftw!
Silly question. Where exactly is the DV valve? I got a AWE and want to put the OEM one in. I can do it I just dont know where it is (dont judge me)
Thanks

Its under the car, passenger side where the turbo is. Hard to get to without a lift but definitely doable. Or if you want you can just jack the passenger front, remove wheel and liner and do it from there.

thanks,
- mao

Kwiksilver07

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
07 3dr reflex silver
Trick for getting the clip off. Small flat head and slip it in at the base of the dv, not by the wires. Slide the driver down toward the ground not up toward the turbo. Took me 25 min to figure this out. Frankly I felt mentally handicapped. 3 bolts are easy with a 1/4 driver and small extension. Took me 45 min to replace. Took me 15 to do the CF. Jeez I felt like a tard. My "C" wasn't busted but I replaced it with the D. Valve feels more robust.

vath

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 GTI
just did mine and it's easy to get the electrical plug off it you push the plug toward the valve before you try to pull back on the clip release tab.... very simple.
1. Push plug towards valve and hold
2. Pull back on tad with flat head screw driver and hold
3. Pull plug away from valve...

Qwoz

Roflcopter pilot
Car(s)
08 GTI
Did mine via this DIY about 6 months ago and totally forgot to say thanks! Replaced mine with a rev D and haven't had any problems.

gnarlycore

does this just happen to FSi engines? I have a TSI that every once in a while will experience the symptoms of bad DV when I'm running my APR tune. Without the tune the car seems to run normal, but last night I down shifted to 5th to pass on the highway and stepped on it and the car had some hesitation, felt almost like a misfire or something, but didnt throw a code. Seem like a DV problem to you guys? Thanks!