GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY - Euro OEM Shark-Fin Antenna Swap

ewoo

Rally Car Newbie
AM non-existent on a stock HU ?

Actually, my AM was working before the install. My AM is STILL working with the sharkfin--except the signals are much weaker. So, if you listen to certain AM signals that a strong, you'll be fine. Otherwise, you're screwed. :)

AM in the US is really crappy--so I don't listen to it.

AM stations in other parts of the world are more technologically advanced (like in Japan). They broadcast stereo in their AM stations.

Good luck.

zither99

amateur auto-x'er
I did this mod today, but for some reason AM still didn't work with the shark fin antenna, even in the radio service menu, ANT 1 was off with the fin antenna, with the stock it was ON. I think it's defective, gonna have to contact tm tuning.

ewoo

Rally Car Newbie
I did this mod today, but for some reason AM still didn't work with the shark fin antenna, even in the radio service menu, ANT 1 was off with the fin antenna, with the stock it was ON. I think it's defective, gonna have to contact tm tuning.

Hmmm... How do you get into the service menu? I can check on mine. I wouldn't be surprised if the AM didn't work. The antenna I got from TM Tuning wasn't really made for AM/FM reception.

zither99

amateur auto-x'er
Hmmm... How do you get into the service menu? I can check on mine. I wouldn't be surprised if the AM didn't work. The antenna I got from TM Tuning wasn't really made for AM/FM reception.

press and hold the right knob, first you will go into the regular settings menu, then it will go back to the radio, and then it will go into the service menu

FastMatt

Car(s)
2000 Volkswagen Golf
What is the US Spec part number for the Euro Shark Fin?

Would the steps be the same for the 2007 Rabbit 4-doors? I don't like the whip-antenna on the Rabbits and would love to put the shark fin on.

Thanks for the DIY Tutorial!

vwGTI5

Passed Driver's Ed
Poor AM Reception

Hi ,

I also did this mod last week. Fm is good and Am also poor. When I first contacted TM Tuning (Damian) instructed stripping the ends down to the copper core and joining the ends with an alligator clip then wrapping/insulating the connection. Have you tried this?

zither99

amateur auto-x'er
Hi ,

I also did this mod last week. Fm is good and Am also poor. When I first contacted TM Tuning (Damian) instructed stripping the ends down to the copper core and joining the ends with an alligator clip then wrapping/insulating the connection. Have you tried this?

No I haven't, but I dont even have poor reception, it's completely gone, in the service menu the antenna is off completely.