GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY - Euro OEM Shark-Fin Antenna Swap

VRmk3tomk5

mk5's are gay
Car(s)
99 B5 passat wagon
The regular antenna (bee-sting type) has a square anchor on the bottom too. However, if you've got satellite radio, you're gonna need to keep you fin antenna!

im selling my stock sirius b/c i have xm

ewoo

Rally Car Newbie
press and hold the right knob, first you will go into the regular settings menu, then it will go back to the radio, and then it will go into the service menu

OK. So my service menu is reporting:

ANT1: OFF
ANT2: ON

I'm assuming that this means the radio is using the antenna built into the rear windshield and that there's no reception on the main (fin) antenna. My assumption may be wrong of course...

Anyway, I get pretty strong "STEREO" signal on FM and "WEAK" signal on AM--as reported by the Service Menu on the Head Unit.

Hope that helps.

zither99

amateur auto-x'er
thanks for the update ewoo, I get the same thing, but I get no am signal at all. I thought your ANT1 will be ON but just weak signal. I contacted tmtuning earlier and they said it should be enabled with vag-com somehow (I dont know how) and that it may not be connected right (i hooked it up just like the stock antenna). I checked with vag-com and there is a fault code, "broken circuit", as if the antenna is not connected. I dont really care about AM, although it would be nice if it worked

I thought your ANT1 was definitely on and just had weak signal, and mine was defective. But I guess these antenna's are just like this, oh well, i like the look of it better anyways.

ewoo

Rally Car Newbie
thanks for the update ewoo, I get the same thing, but I get no am signal at all. I thought your ANT1 will be ON but just weak signal. I contacted tmtuning earlier and they said it should be enabled with vag-com somehow (I dont know how) and that it may not be connected right (i hooked it up just like the stock antenna). I checked with vag-com and there is a fault code, "broken circuit", as if the antenna is not connected. I dont really care about AM, although it would be nice if it worked

I thought your ANT1 was definitely on and just had weak signal, and mine was defective. But I guess these antenna's are just like this, oh well, i like the look of it better anyways.

I see. I've got a VAG-COM too. I do recall a fault code like that. I'm not too concerned either. It'd be nice to be able to make it work though.

vwGTI5

Passed Driver's Ed

Hi,

Could the dealer set it for the am band to work?

vwGTI5

Passed Driver's Ed
No. If you need the antenna to work again, you'd need to put back the original one that your GTI came with.

Hi,

Guess I'll have to live without proper AM also... I was going to go through hassle of opening up and trying TM Tuning's suggestion of using an alligator clip this weekend. Looks like it won't make any diffference. Dealer's closed for Easter weekend and I couldn't check with them. Appreciate your prompt reply. Thanks again.