GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY stereo removal with pix

Mary and Phil

Passed Driver's Ed
sorry to resurrect this thread from the dead - but how do you remove that little "sun sensor" on the top portion of the top-most vent?

i played around with it a little today but didnt get how to pop it out...

what IS that sensor for? and why remove it?
is it that little bump on the dash?

Kricket

v-dubber, once again...
i dont want to remove it permanently - but you need to take that out in order to get to the vent - which has to come out in order to install a new stereo...

Mary and Phil

Passed Driver's Ed
Ba-DOOM!

i dont want to remove it permanently - but you need to take that out in order to get to the vent - which has to come out in order to install a new stereo...

okie. :clap: why a new radio? is the new one more powerful? o_O

and i still need to know what that sensor is for. ^^;

Tater Salad

Go Kart Champion
From what I've heard, that little black box is the sunlight sensor (somebody will probably have to confirm it).
As far as getting it out, i just pulled on it with some pliers and it popped right out.

Tater Salad

Go Kart Champion
Its for the automatic headlights. whenever the sensor doesn't detect any sunlight, the VW switches to nightime and turns the lights on without you having to turn the switch over.

Mary and Phil

Passed Driver's Ed
ato-lights

Its for the automatic headlights. whenever the sensor doesn't detect any sunlight, the VW switches to nightime and turns the lights on without you having to turn the switch over.

i didn;t know it had auto lights! must be in a package huh? i have a package 0 car. i suppose i need a switch it on.

Tater Salad

Go Kart Champion
Yeah, the one I had on my car had 3 switches, you could only choose between OFF (daytime running lights on) Automatic (which is the middle position) or ON.

tito12384

This is my user title
Just another quick note, don't forget to reconnect the airbag light if you disconnect it (I know this is in other threads, but I figured it would go well here). Reconnect the light before reconnecting the battery. Failure to do so will cause your airbag system light to go on, which then has to be turned off by the dealer (it cost me $60 for this).

Lima

Vorsprung durch technik
This is how I did it on my RHD GTI with RCD500 headunit.

:thumbsup:

I followed a couple of other DIYs found on the net, but figured seeing an Aussie version of this might be of use to some people as well. For a bit of background it might pay to read the other DIYs if you find any gaps of information in my write up:
4string on VWvortex
KuniD on uk-mkivs.net

Tools required
You'll need some sort of plastic card or prong to pry open some of the bits and pieces. I used an old credit card. You will also need a Torx20 screw and ratchet attachment.

Step 1
Start by removing the panel around the top mounted dash vent dial (already removed in this pic). I just pried it up with an old credit card and managed to carefully remove the clip. Then, as you can see, started to gently force the vent cover with a small screwdriver. Once you have all the clips unhooked and the cover is free, remove the A/C sensor wire.

Step 2
There is a torx screw at the top of the next panel for removing (indicated by white circle). Haha, be careful not to drop the screw into the dash below! Damn, I missed a photo of removing this piece. Once you've got a clip or two released you can pull this one out with a reasonable amount of force. But if you bust any clips, it's not my fault okay! The second image was taken after the panel was removed and you then need to unscrew the two torx screws in frame to prepare for the next piece to be removed.

Step 3
Once the two torx screws are removed, start by working on the clips at the back (closest to windscreen) then moving towards you. After the three clips at the back are freed, gently pull this piece upwards. I found the toughest clips were the ones right at the bottom, closest to the top of the headunit.

Step 4
Time to disconnect the hazard light switch. If you've read the other DIYs in the first post you'll notice some include a warning about an air bag sensor wire on this panel. As you can see Australian spec cars do not have this wire and removing the hazard light switch is your only concern. It can be a bit tricky with one person, but if I can do it anyone can. You need to push open the little blue sliding clip (seen through triangle on pic below) before the hazard switch can be freed.

Step 5
Removing the panel surrounding the headunit and HVAC controls. Remove the torx screws at the top of this panel (as shown below). Then carefully force open the clips down the side and between the HU and HVAC dials. This panel is the one that feels the flimsiest and therefore the one most likely to be prone to breaking, so do be careful.

Step 6
Almost done! Now, remove the four screws around the HU. Once that's done you can carefully remove the HU.

Included on the unit is a schematic of the wiring chassis that plugs into the back of the headunit, shown in pictures with a couple of crappy mobile phone pics.

Finished. :)

Putting it all back together is a damn sight easier than being so careful not to bust any of the plastic clips during removal. I'm a real gumby at this sort of stuff and it probably took me 45 minutes to remove the headunit. If you're halfway competent you could probably do it in 15 minutes. Haha! Putting it all back together takes under 10 minutes and is pretty simple. Just reverse your steps and you are now free to line up the panels carefully then just bash them back into place.

Note: All the torx screws removed are identical, so there is no need to remember which screw came from which hole.

:burnrubber:

TEABAG

GTI Bunny hopper
Car(s)
2007 GTI MKV CW 2.0T
Awesome job dude!

AndorGLI

18 and i'll still take U!
Car(s)
VW MKV GLI
nice

srbsta

Banned
Car(s)
2006 Volkswagen GTI
hey has someone got a pic of the RCD500 rear end i want to see what connections it has