GOLFMKV

DIY stereo removal with pix

tranceporter

F**K YOU CAM FOLLOWERS
Car(s)
'08 BMP GTI
cool

Luccia

Very nice guide, came invaluable for installing an xcarlink i pod adapter in my mkv golf S.

One thing to add, non-gti's dont have the top vent .. instead they have an odment tray. To remove this you need to take the rubber mat out of the top, unscrew the two screws that are revealed then get a thing metal implement (i use teaspoon handles) and push them down the windscreen side of the tray at either side to release two spring clips, the odment tray should then come free.

After that you can follow this guide exactly.

treloskostas

Hi all,

I would like to thank everyone for the coolest DIY guide on the web about removing the stereo unit but I would like to make a question on a very silly thing. Do I have to remove the power supply from the battery before doing anything? If YES is there a possibility something goes wrong after putting all together and connecting back the power supply from the battery????

Please help me on that silly question. How safe is to work with the battery on and will it harm anything if I don't disconnect it before working?

Thank you very much again for everything!!!!

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
disconnect the battery before disassembly

Hi all,

I would like to thank everyone for the coolest DIY guide on the web about removing the stereo unit but I would like to make a question on a very silly thing. Do I have to remove the power supply from the battery before doing anything? If YES is there a possibility something goes wrong after putting all together and connecting back the power supply from the battery????

Please help me on that silly question. How safe is to work with the battery on and will it harm anything if I don't disconnect it before working?

Thank you very much again for everything!!!!

You SHOULD disconnect ground terminal from the battery. If you do not, when you disconnect safety related pieces like the dash airbag indicator, you will generate fault codes in the system which will trigger dash warning lights. At the very least, you will need a VAG-COM to clear those errors. By removing power and hooking everything back up before you restore power, you can avoid this.

After reconnecting the battery it is normal for a few things to appear to have gone wrong, but they are corrected without tools. A power steering fault may appear, but simply start the engine and drive a few feet, stop and turn the wheel from lock to lock, and usually it will be fine by then - clears the error light and leaves no code behind. The windows will lose auto up and down, but simply manually holding the button and cycling each window so it can re-learn its limits will cure that. The main engine computer stores the radio code in non-volatile memory, so when you restore power and turn on the audio system, it will very quickly enter the radio security code request for you :cool:

treloskostas

Thank you very much but I don't really understand when you say to disconnect the ground terminal. Do you have any photo to help me? I thought that the battery only has (+) and (-) poles and by just removing the two cord from these poles should do the thing. Is there anything else to unplug? Your answer though was very helpful. If you could please explain a bit about the ground terminal...?

Thank you

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
Thank you very much but I don't really understand when you say to disconnect the ground terminal. Do you have any photo to help me? I thought that the battery only has (+) and (-) poles and by just removing the two cord from these poles should do the thing. Is there anything else to unplug? Your answer though was very helpful. If you could please explain a bit about the ground terminal...?

Thank you

Ground terminal is an American term for the — connection on the battery. No need to disconnect them both, just the negative terminal will do.

TRIX ARE 4 KIDS

Ready to race!
Car(s)
07' RABBIT
hey guys,
trying to help as much as i can. here is to how you can remove your stereo.
it was suppose to diy ipod adaptor install, but the one we bought from mp3yourcar.com does not work they way they claim it should. so here are the instructions. DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK AND I'M NOT LIABLE FOR DAMAGES THAT YOU CAUSE TO YOUR CAR.

tools needed:
torx-hex and flat head screwdrivers
towel to put between your screwdriver and your car.
10mm socket

1. DISCONNECT YOUR CAR BATTERY using the 10mm socket. remove the tab right in front of the center top vent to remove the vent cover.

2. after removing the vent you are able to remove the torx-hex screw holding the vent switch and door.

3. with the vent switch and door removed you will uncover the two screws holding the top part of your center dash together. you are now able to remove the top partion of the your center dash including the center vents.

4. after the top part is remove there are two screws holding the bottom part of you center dash. remove those and you'll be able to pop the bottom of your center dash out using your flat head screw driver. BE SURE TO USE YOUR TOWEL ON THE HEAD OF YOU FLAT HEAD SCREWDRIVER. so you won't scratch your car.

5. last step is the removal of the four screws holding your stereo together. remove those and BAM you are done. putting the stereo back is just the reverse order.
Man really good diy . now tell me me will u sale me ur stereo?