GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

kevvve's e30 BUILDTHREAD

kevvve

TÜ MÄDR3
Version 2 of my build has already started and I decided to keep another buildthread to keep track of this one.

It began when I cracked the oilpan on my 1st e30. It sat for a couple months before I had time to replace the pan but when I did I noticed that it needed some TLC. Some tie rods, control arms and brakes were long due. I budgeted about $1k for overhauling these aspects. But while browsing the "cars for sale section" I came across an e30 for sale with m50nv that was broken down cleaned and freshened up, something that I had planned for the m52 I had picked up. A lot of the maintenance I planned to do on my original e30 was taken care of. It came with practically everything I needed to put back together and more. The "more" I saw as an opportunity to sell and make back some of what I have spent. And I figured I'd sell my original e30 with the coils and wheels the new one came with to offset the cost. Financially, starting over made more sense to me. So after planning out the logistics and weighing the pros and cons of doing this I pulled the trigger. Moved into a garage less than a mile from my apartment where I'd store both e30 and work on getting the swap done with the new one. Onto some photos:

I made my deposit, reserved my uhaul and trailer.

The day my lady and I along with my good friend made the 6 hour drive to pick up the e30.

Picked up the e30.

Drove the e30 home.

Unloaded the e30. Unpacking the e30 felt like Christmas. All these parts waiting to go back in or be sold off felt great to go through.

Since I have gotten it home I have been engulfed in searching for parts and learning everything there is to know about these cars to complete this swap. I have never done a swap before so I have been relying on a lot of build threads and what not to answer many of my questions. Ill try to keep this updated as much as possible for myself to track my progress. Onto some more photos.

Everyone loves new parts

ebay buy 944 booster cleaned up and hit with some rustoleum. MC cleaned up up. Shitty seam sealer FTL.

Been keeping tabs of what i have spent and where I have gotten it. The list doesnt include shipping costs.

grey bars = purchased

kevvve

TÜ MÄDR3
More parts arrived today. Scored 4 filters, thermostat and housing for $60.

more and more parts

Handy tool to rebuild the m50

Progress has been delayed due to looking for another garage. Hopefully I could find something soon.

Purchased from TheGoodGuy z3 1.9 ssk.

Started working on the block tonight. Got the crank in with fresh main bearings. Caps were torqued down to 20 NM +50°. Clearances were also check with some plastigauge. Everything looked to be within specs.

Monday I'll be moving out of this garage and into a new one hopefully after that I can get more work done and the engine together.

bon qui qui

Go Kart Champion
I think I may need new fans for mine, temp gauge kinda moves around a lot :lol: or perhaps a new thermostat, idk.