GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Let's see your PC's

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
Now that amazon has their holiday return policy active I feel comfortable starting to order stuff, so I took another look at the parts on my list. The lian-li aio I had on my list wasn't reviewed as well as I would have liked. There were complaints about failing pumps, bad software, and failing LEDs. Pumps may actually be failing because of the software. I saw multiple people saying the software wouldn't detect the pump at start up so it'd either not turn on at all or it'd be spinning at max rpms the entire time. I took that stuff off my list and replaced it with a deepcool aio. I'll save some money, still have a bunch of rgb, and still have fans that can be daisy chained together. Plus the deepcool aio doesn't need any software. I can just control it all through asus aura.

Then since I eliminated the need for extra software with the aio I decided that I'd do the same thing with the ram. I took the corsair ram off my list and replaced it with some teamgroup ram. The rgb on that can also be controlled with asus aura.

I joined /r/mffpc and the asus ap201 is all over the subreddit. Definitely seems to be the most popular m-atx case out there. I didn't know that before I picked it, but I know it'll be a good one now.

I won't have it built for a couple months, but these are the parts I'll be getting. I already have the GPU and PSU, but there's a chance I get a different PSU.

Looks like a pretty solid list. I would suggest picking up a new PSU that's ATX 3.0 since you're going with a 7900 XT.

Maybe AMD fixed things with the 7xxx gpus, but (maybe you remember from CSB thread) my 6800 XT didn't get along with my Corsair 850W and was causing all sorts of hard crash issues. Upgraded to THIS GUY and no problems since. Bonus about that particular PSU is that the plugs are on the side, which made cable routing and management SO much easier.

Potentially useful reference

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Looks like a pretty solid list. I would suggest picking up a new PSU that's ATX 3.0 since you're going with a 7900 XT.

Maybe AMD fixed things with the 7xxx gpus, but (maybe you remember from CSB thread) my 6800 XT didn't get along with my Corsair 850W and was causing all sorts of hard crash issues. Upgraded to THIS GUY and no problems since. Bonus about that particular PSU is that the plugs are on the side, which made cable routing and management SO much easier.
Yea, I thought about it right after I posted and I definitely want to get a new psu. I was gonna take the psu out of my current pc, but then I'd have to buy a new psu for that one as I want to bring it to work and make it my new work pc. I'll leave my old pc the way it is and just get a new psu for the new build. The only thing wrong with my current pc is the watercooling, so I'm gonna ditch that entire system and replace it with a cheap air cooler. Then I just need to put my 2070 back in and I'll have a pretty good work pc.

I didn't know about the atx 3.0 stuff though. I kinda remember your post, but I forgot. I'll look at some later today and figure that out.

I always use my old pc as my new work pc. lol
Right now my work pc has a 1060 with a i5-3570k. That stuffs like 11 years old at this point, but for it handles everything I do on it no problem.

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
My 2nd PC was originally my stream capture box, then I stopped streaming so it was gonna turn into my GF's gaming rig, then she was never really into that, so now it's just collecting dust under a desk.

... until something fucks up on my main rig and I still wanna get my gaming fix in 😂

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
That 7900 xt is in the pc right now with the psu I linked on the last page. I've had a couple minor problems, but I'm wondering if that's got anything to do with the issue you mentioned. It's been things like the 2nd monitor shutting off for no reason at random times, often when the pc isn't even being used. Going in the display settings and changing something would usually bring it back or disconnecting the hdmi from the monitor for a second and plug it back in would fix it. That only happens maybe once every few weeks so it hasn't bothered me.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
I got a server computer at work I need to work on too. The last few days it's been having this issue where the fans go to max rpms and stay there until you restart the pc. I'm not sure what's going on yet, but I have an idea where to start.

The last time this happened was when they sent us the computer back after a repair. When I took the side panel off the cpu cooler was hanging on by a single screw. I've got a feeling it's related to that. Could be something simple like I just need to check the thermal paste and remount the cooler, or it's just really dusty and needs a cleaning.

That's not really something I can work on when I've got an office full of people trying to work, so I need to stay late one day or come in during the weekend and...I don't want to.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
I got a server computer at work I need to work on too. The last few days it's been having this issue where the fans go to max rpms and stay there until you restart the pc. I'm not sure what's going on yet, but I have an idea where to start.

The last time this happened was when they sent us the computer back after a repair. When I took the side panel off the cpu cooler was hanging on by a single screw. I've got a feeling it's related to that. Could be something simple like I just need to check the thermal paste and remount the cooler, or it's just really dusty and needs a cleaning.

That's not really something I can work on when I've got an office full of people trying to work, so I need to stay late one day or come in during the weekend and...I don't want to.
Depending on the make/model, I've also seen this in some of our Dell AIOs. You may want to clear the CMOS, and check for BIOS updates. Forewarning, Dells like to play this stupid game when you drain flea power where they'll behave like they're struggling to boot up. Your power light will come on, then nothing. It's simply generating a new checksum, if you give it a little bit it'll cooperate.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
checksum of deez nuts!!!

lmao gottem

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
you're a goober lol

also @sterkrazzy I'm very curious what you come up with. If there were a thermal issue, it should be pretty apparent in HWMonitor or similar software to look at sensor temperatures.
I'm waiting for it to fix itself.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Damn, I'm feeling good about this one...

I woke up to a price alert around 5am this morning. Saw it was microcenter, said that sucks, and went back to bed. There's no microcenters near me. The next time I woke up I saw some comments about using a fake zipcode and having best buy price match it, so I figure I'd try it...

It fuckin worked. I got a 7800x3d for $300 shipped and that Avatar game coming out next month was also included for free.

Last edited:

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Nice. Better than the $400 I paid for my 7800X3D lol.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Nice. Better than the $400 I paid for my 7800X3D lol.
I would have had no problem paying that price too. At $300 + the free avatar game that's a killer deal though. I think that'll be my deal of the holiday this year.

I was expecting to pay $350 thinking that's what the black friday price was going to be, so I was gonna buy it the next time I saw one at $350. I couldn't believe it when I woke up to see it was $300 on microcenter. If I knew I could have gotten best buy to price match it I wouldn't have gone back to bed right after. Shit, I didn't even bother with best buy until I got to work.

Best buy asked for a zipcode so I gave them an Indianapolis zip since there's a best buy and microcenter in that same town. Then the invoice they sent me didn't even ask for a shipping address. They just shipped it to the billing address. I wasn't even sure they were going to ship it based on what I was seeing on the invoice. I wasn't going to be surprised if it ended up being a pick up order at the best buy with the zip code I gave them.

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
1000004107.jpg

Here's mine.

Ryzen 5800X
Team TForce 16GB 3200cl14
ASRock X570 Steel Legend
ASUS TUF 6800XT
Samsung NVME, ADATA SSD, WD Blue HDD

The GPU is the only bit of RGB I have, since even though it's in a TG case I've got it behind a monitor. Kinda like the stealth.