GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Make sure to check your oil level frequently!

gshabanov

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
07 GTI
Just wanted to chime in. I just purchased a used certified 07 GTI 6 speed manual. 30k miles now at 32k. After I read this thread. First thing is I checked my oil level and so did my co worker in his 07 A3 2.0 fsi with 6 speed manual.

My level was at half qrt on the dip stick and his was at Min.

I added Castrol 5w40 502 to mine and didnt notice any difference in driving.
For the next month I will monitor my oil levels.

However I am now considering when doing next oil change to switch to GC 0w30 502 or 504 euro oil
Just to see if any oil is used.

This was a great eye opener. Because I was one of those ignorant drivers :rolleyes: who thought that new cars do not burn oil.

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
^ Sounds like a PCV if you're loosing 1/2 a quart per 2k. When mine was bad, I was loosing it at the rate of 1 quart per 1000 miles.

stuck24

so?
Car(s)
GTI FSI
^ big difference b/w 1/2 qt per 2k and 1qt per 1000 miles.

At 1/2 qt per 2k, that isn't so bad at all... that is sort of what I'm used to. My dealer says that's normal; I have already had the PCV breather recall etc performed....

so what did the dealer do for you when they found such high consumption???

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
^ big difference b/w 1/2 qt per 2k and 1qt per 1000 miles.

At 1/2 qt per 2k, that isn't so bad at all... that is sort of what I'm used to. My dealer says that's normal; I have already had the PCV breather recall etc performed....

so what did the dealer do for you when they found such high consumption???

Yeah you're right. I use about 1/2 a quart per 3-3500 miles now. And now with the BSH Stg 1, hopefully nothing (I just installed it though, so too early to tell).

I was thinking something else as I was typing.

I usually take my car to City VW in Chicago and they warranteed it for me a couple times actually. It didn't always use that much oil even when the other ones were bad, but the one bad PCV did cause the engine to consume that much oil in that mileage period.

And I found the high consumption myself because I change my own oil the majority of the time.

Simmsled

Parking Garage > Tree
Car(s)
its not special.
My ex-girlfriend WOULD NOT check her oil because she was afraid it would be low... come to find out it had 9,000 miles on dino oil in her Jeep. EX-girlfriend.

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
^^^ What kinda oil were you/ are you using now??? brand and weight?

Pretty sure it was either the dealership Castrol 5w-40 from when they did change it once, but it was more likely Mobil 1 0w-40. That could have been why it was worse since 0w-40 is pretty damn thin. I use Motul 5w-40 8100 X-Cess now. Seems to be a lot better.

stuck24

so?
Car(s)
GTI FSI
^ oh ya... my local dealer uses 5w-30 which is a li'l thinner than M1 0w-40 when fully warmed up...

I thought about 5w-40 Pento or 0w-30 GC... I hear GC holds shear and doesn't burn off...

either way, consumption gets old.

DeepBlue

Ready to race!
I was just told that 600miles/1qrt is normal by the shop foreman and service manager.

I'm due back in a few hundred miles for my oil consumption test. Looks like i'm down about half qrt at 750 miles.

How do I get them to swap out my pcv just to get to latest rev? They say mine is fine.

stuck24

so?
Car(s)
GTI FSI
I was just told that 600miles/1qrt is normal by the shop foreman and service manager.

I'm due back in a few hundred miles for my oil consumption test. Looks like i'm down about half qrt at 750 miles.

How do I get them to swap out my pcv just to get to latest rev? They say mine is fine.

I suggest you drive hard for the next 200 miles. Redline every so often... let it use up as much oil as possible.... and then, maybe they may get serious about your issue.

the M1 0w-40 has been pretty good in my crankcase.... only used 1/4 quart in 2k miles. Not that that would solve your issues.

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1

1qt/600 miles is normal?! That's not anywhere near normal I don't think. Check to see if the manual has it specified. Maybe 1qt/1000 is normal, but even that's pretty high.

Slater

FaNaTTicK
Car(s)
08 GTI MKV
With VW do you not need to get an oil change every 3000 miles?

rs_hunter

Ich blute VW-Blau & weiße
With VW do you not need to get an oil change every 3000 miles?

No. To be totally honest, a 3K mile oil change is unnecessary in any vehicle these days. Current oil technology has come a long way from the days when the 3K mile recommendation had some technical basis.

VW2.0

1qrt per 600miles is normal per my dealer who proved it by showing me in my manual. Have a look.
I know...it does sound like much but who am I to argue with the manual. In the manual it does state that the oil usage would depend on driving conditions and weather.

ChouDawg

Null
Car(s)
2014 Subaru WRX
I've always been told to check the oil level after running the engine to operating temperatures then turning it off for about 30-seconds. Checking it on a cold engine would give you a much higher reading. There seems to be mixed thoughts on when exactly to check the level.

Also for oil ratings 10W-40 is not thicker then 0W-40 at operating temperature. Unless you're operating your car in sub-zero conditions -25 C or so the first number is irrelevant for most people in warmer climates. The second number is the operating viscosity at about 100 C