GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Painting Lowers - Little Different Prep

agpatel

Touring Car Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI MkV
Looks great! I would like to do my lowers, but can't justify the $$. If only my dad had a paint shop...

It looks like your rear lower bumper is not pushed all the way into the clips properly.

It should be pushes in correctly, I took off the whole rear bumper to attach the lower and upper bumper and all the clips showed through the back. What part exactly does not look correct to you and I may have to check it out again.

Dad does not have a paint shop but works for SEM Products, he works in the lab and in r&d, but they make automotive adhesives, interior paints, and some custom finishes. They just have a new paint booth in their new building for training and classes.

agpatel

Touring Car Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI MkV
Looks amazing bud. Good job all around. I too want to do my lowers, but taking them on and off is the main thing holding me back. I don't want to have the skirts end up fitting incorrectly when I put them back on.

Also, where did you get those sick tail lights? They look amazing! :wink:

You cant really put the sides back on wrong as they will ride on a rail so they can only really go on the right way.

Sam_Shake

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'06 GTI
do u think it will crack in the winter cuz the plastic gets hard or gets soft under the sun?

agpatel

Touring Car Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI MkV
Should not be a problem as the paint is flexible. On a test panel, piece of sheet metal that had the same number of primer, base coat and clear coats on it it bent 100*+ without cracking around a small radius. There have been many people who have painted their lowers and gone through a few cycle of hot/cold and have not had any issues.

agpatel

Touring Car Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI MkV
So I got the tape last night and put on the skirts this afternoon. Just one question for everyone you think I should extend the black stripe onto the side skirt or keep it as it is. I kind of like it this way but may take some vinyl and see how it would looks with it extended. What do you guys think? Also what do most people do with the skirt part that goes into the front wheel well that is colored. I tried to put it behind the wheel liner but didn't look right, was thinking of using black vinyl to cover up the red end cap.

Here is the tape that was used: 3m 06386 - 0.25" wide and 45 mil thick

The skirts installed:

agpatel

Touring Car Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI MkV
Where did you get the GTI graphics?>

Got it offline from somewhere but they do not make it with the GTI cutout as VW told them they can use that font. I had to get it remade a year ago and just had a vinyl shop make it for me.

btek

loveVAG
Car(s)
08 GTI MKV
you get a little paint happy eh? looks good.

agpatel

Touring Car Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI MkV
you get a little paint happy eh? looks good.

Thanks, I think it came out looking pretty good as well.

You talking about the over spray in the booth, yeah umm....should of painted further back in the both and put the stands a little higher to avoid that, oops. Good thing is the tiles are non-stick and the paint just pealed up.

darcness

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI CW
Hey looks nice!

Did you have to order the tape online or could you get it at like an Autozone or somethin?

You can get it at AutoZone. Get the green stuff, it's better for painting. That's what I use on my tail lights and it gives a nice clean line 99% of the time.

polskiGTI

Ready to race!
sorry didn't mean the tape to paint haha I meant that tape to put back on the side skirts! Will keep that in mind when I eventually do my taillights thO thanks!

I'm getting my side skirts and bumper painted and the shop wants like thirty bucks to install everything which is crazy so I'm trying to find the tape and do it myself!