GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Painting Lowers - Little Different Prep

agpatel

Touring Car Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI MkV
damn you did a damn good job but is it me or is your rear just way off?

If you are talking about the color it is not off, same paint as was used on all the other parts. The pics on the bumper did not come out the best and may of had some shadow issues from the surrounding tree's. The pics from straight back you can see it is the same color the one pic that is close up on the left side it looks different because of different lighting I think. If you re talking about alignment, it is aligned correctly and secured as it should be.

All the paint was from the same batch so it is all the same color and matches the OEM paint perfectly.

agpatel

Touring Car Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI MkV
sorry didn't mean the tape to paint haha I meant that tape to put back on the side skirts! Will keep that in mind when I eventually do my taillights thO thanks!

I'm getting my side skirts and bumper painted and the shop wants like thirty bucks to install everything which is crazy so I'm trying to find the tape and do it myself!

The tape I got from one of my dads friends, they sell it for i think $11 I dont know exactly as he just gave it to us, but it was from a distributor that sells to body shops. The roll is pretty large and you dont need as much as I got, but you can find 1/4" 3M molding tape at auto stores, 1/2 in is more common and can be used if you cut it down. But, you can also try body shops and ask if you can buy it. You can also ask the shop you getting it painted from to put the tape on the skirts and you will do all the install its really easy and can do it yourself.

polskiGTI

Ready to race!
Hey agpatel I have a question for you...

Did you completely peel off all the old tape off the body?

The body shop did put some tape on there but I honestly don't know what kind and it didn't want to stick at all but that's just cause maybe I didn't peel the old tape off and those things are a bitch to install. Also, did you put it on the rail first then peel off the tape or vice versa? THANKS!!!

agpatel

Touring Car Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI MkV
Hey agpatel I have a question for you...

Did you completely peel off all the old tape off the body?

The body shop did put some tape on there but I honestly don't know what kind and it didn't want to stick at all but that's just cause maybe I didn't peel the old tape off and those things are a bitch to install. Also, did you put it on the rail first then peel off the tape or vice versa? THANKS!!!

Yes I took all the tape off the car body and the side skirts. Foam tape will stick to foam tape that is left on the body. The tape may be too thin, make sure its 45mil. I put the tape on the side skirt, crated a little tab from masking tape on the backing tape on the foam tape, red part, put the skirts on the car and screwed them in. then slowly pulled the backing off the tape as i pressed the side skirt against the body. It is almost impossible to put the skirts on with the backing of the tape already off, you wont be able to get it on the rail correctly.

Bigswish04

Passed Driver's Ed
I think 3M makes some very high adhesion double sided foam tape that would work really well. BTW those lowers look amazing painted. I need to get mine done ASAP where could one find some paint to do this themselves. I have a buddy who has a spray gun and what not so the tools are accessible just need to find some paint.

polskiGTI

Ready to race!
Yes I took all the tape off the car body and the side skirts. Foam tape will stick to foam tape that is left on the body. The tape may be too thin, make sure its 45mil. I put the tape on the side skirt, crated a little tab from masking tape on the backing tape on the foam tape, red part, put the skirts on the car and screwed them in. then slowly pulled the backing off the tape as i pressed the side skirt against the body. It is almost impossible to put the skirts on with the backing of the tape already off, you wont be able to get it on the rail correctly.

Do you think GOOGONE will take care of the tape on the body? And im guessing, just to make it a little clearer, you put the side skirt on the rail, screwed them in underneath the car, then pealed off the tape and pressed it together right? Cause yea me and a friend made the mistake of taking the backing off the tape and then decided to put them in which like you said, is daym near impossible to get in sitting correctly.

agpatel

Touring Car Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI MkV
Do you think GOOGONE will take care of the tape on the body? And im guessing, just to make it a little clearer, you put the side skirt on the rail, screwed them in underneath the car, then pealed off the tape and pressed it together right? Cause yea me and a friend made the mistake of taking the backing off the tape and then decided to put them in which like you said, is daym near impossible to get in sitting correctly.

You can use GooGone, but I would get 3M Adhesive Remover. You can find it at car stores like Napa. Put it on a towel and let it soak for 10-15 sec and it will rub right off. Yes that is correct put them on and pull the tape back, do not pull up or it will be harder to peel he backing off but try to peel the backing parrallel to the tape.

agpatel

Touring Car Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI MkV

Like I said if you are talking about the color it is a perfect match all around. All the paint is the same, the color may look different due to lighting conditions. If you are talking about alignment or fitment please elaborate as it is fitted properly to the best of my knowledge.