GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

R32 KW SHS HPA suspension installed and road impressions

WhiteJames

Fun Nazi
Car(s)
VW Golf GTI MKV
I'm recommending the HPA KW SHS coilover kit & small size H&R anti-roll bars for the best sorted sports/comfort street suspension setup. They really are very good. The separate slow speed compression & high speed compression dampening offers a reasonable ride in town, but easily copes with the hard hits in the RNP. Noise levels are far superior to any other aftermarket suspension system I have encountered. I reckon, with the 200kg of less weight in the GTI, this coilover kit would be perfect for the GTI for a daily street commuter. I'm glad that you a wrapped with them. The addition of H&R anti roll bars on your R32 will take the handling to a another level again.

Cheers
WJ

G-rig

Go Kart Champion
I'm recommending the HPA KW SHS coilover kit & small size H&R anti-roll bars for the best sorted sports/comfort street suspension setup.

They do seems like a comfortable setup.

Just wondering what is meant by 'small size H&R'? Are they the same as the Front: 24mm, Rear: 26mm that I got and what is the advantage (besides weight)?

-jakrbt-

.:R32 OG
They do seems like a comfortable setup.

Just wondering what is meant by 'small size H&R'? Are they the same as the Front: 24mm, Rear: 26mm that I got and what is the advantage (besides weight)?

Seems to me that the larger 26mm could add a little more stiffness because it's thicker material. In this case, it could possibly add too much, so maybe the 24mm is the perfect balance??

Blitzen

Professional .....
Think by small he referred to the choices for a GTI. The R32 has only one set of H&R swaybars available.

-jakrbt-

Think by small he referred to the choices for a GTI. The R32 has only one set of H&R swaybars available.

Really? Wasn't aware of that. But still, the 26mm could be too stiff. Did you decide whether or not you're ordering up the SHS kit or not? Today's the last day for the sale.....

Blitzen

Professional .....
Small GTI > front 26mm rear 22mm
Big GTI > front 28mm rear 24mm

I will probably not do the sway bars (but if I would plan on it the front one is probably best installed with the coilovers as you need an alignment afterwards).

Still on the edge about the HPA SHS ..... Englishtown is just around the corner from me so I could if I like .... (not that I have any time)

Blitzen

Professional .....
Just ordered them ..... Soon I will know if they are better than Stock Springs and Koni FSD ..... Hope they are :bow: .... WhiteJames I hope you know what you did to me :lol: ... Helping me spend all that money ....

-jakrbt-

Just ordered them ..... Soon I will know if they are better than Stock Springs and Koni FSD ..... Hope they are :bow: .... WhiteJames I hope you know what you did to me :lol: ... Helping me spend all that money ....

Congrats! I've ridden in an R with the SHS coilovers and front/rear sways. I was duly impressed at the handling capabilities, especially over stock. Can't wait 'till mine get here.....:happyanim:

Blitzen

Professional .....
:barf:Roads here in NJ are so crappy that I better try without sway bars first

BTW what size are the stock bars anyway?

Jester_Fu

My Name is Angela.
Car(s)
Daytona Grey TT RS
I don't believe you need the sways with the SHS kit for road use. They will reduce more body roll and sharpen the steering up slightly, but IMO, the Haldex is more effective at doing that in a wider range of conditions. Perhaps that's why HPA don't really push sways with the kit but do recommend fitting the Gen II Haldex kit.

I've got the SHS + Haldex Gen II and the car is sharp, fast and an absolute pleasure to drive under all road conditions (well, i haven't tried it in snow!). The sways would improve it if i was heading more for a road/competion crossed car... but i can not see any need for sways with the current setup. In fact, i think they'd compromise road holding and comfrot in rougher conditions - as WJ has witnessed when he followed me through Kuringai National park and found he was lifting slightly where my car held flat through the off camber up hill section after the river crossing.

G-rig

Go Kart Champion
Larger sways probably aren't totally necessary on the streets but I've never had any complaints with the H&R SPC that Jig and I have got on our R32's (Front: 24mm, Rear: 26mm). Comfort may not be as good in terms of one side wheel bumps and on rough bumpy roads, but no worse than someone who is lowered too much.

As previsously discussed & in WJ's reviews, haldex and sway bars have different affects on handling, but i would (and did) get the Haldex Gen II upgrade first. You can really feel the sway bars on hard/big curves & it kind of completes the suspension 'tune'.

p.s. the SHS should be good, good value (better if you're in the US).

I think you'd need something a bit more agressive than these with the HPA turbo kit though, and definitely need better sways and brakes too. apmitchell went to a more agressive setup than the KW V3's and I probably would want soemthing harder than progressive coilovers with all the extra power.

WhiteJames

Fun Nazi
Car(s)
VW Golf GTI MKV
The small set of H&R bars do stiffen up the chassis a fair degree. The one wheel bump ride comfort is reduced; but ...

On my trip up to Queensland, I headed from Newcastle up the New England Highway through towns such as Singleton, Mussellbrook, Tamworth, and Tenterfrield.

On these interior country roadways, the KW V3 on almost full soft settings (@ 12% from full soft) were too firm. The ride was bearable, but not comfortable. Add more passengers, and the ride only becomes firmer, esp in the rear spring progressive spring rate.

In this regard, its the compression & rebound rate & much higher spring rate that detract from the ride, more so than the small set of H&R sways bars. The 18 inch huff wheels have to take about 25% of the blame in addition to firmer suspension.

On the other hand;

The drive from Byron Bay to Gold Coast on Pacific Highway (Route - 1), which resembles the European style smooth 100-110kph freeway, the KW V3 were fantastic. Still a tad firm, but very well suited to this type of environment (autobahn/autostrada). 180 degree freeway slipways has the GTI sitting nice and flat, and the limit of adhesion is so high and chassis so neutral. Same for the smooth tight twisties ... just so composed, secure and solid.

Traversing average to poor B-grade roadways from Sydney to Queensland consisted of about 70% driven on the interior trip (New England Hwy) and 30% on smooth roadways ... I guess its 70% in favour of the sports comfort HPA KW SHS coilover kit for NSW roadways ... and 30% in favour of the KW V3 for smooth freeways (or maybe 75%/25% on second thought).

That's why I'm advocating the HPA KW SHS coilover kit for local conditions ... esp B-Grade roadways. If you do any competition or club days, then KW V3 are liveable, but not as comfortable.

I may add this & more to my long distance drive review of KW V3 when time permits.

Queensland roadways are so much better than what NSW has to offer, which is a real shame for us southerners.

Cheers
WJ