GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

SIMPLE DIY cam follower check. DUMMY PROOF

julito04

I plead the fif.
Car(s)
08 WRX Limited
Yea, we can prob do it this weekend. we can do his and mine at the same time.

JP2008

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI
Stupid ?? but where would you put oil back in? You dont take a liter and just start pouring right? Basically just a dab of oil on your finger, smear it around the top on the cam follower and I am good right?

gtiboy87

GTI ON CRACK!!
Car(s)
2007 mkv gti
Yes, just take some fresh oil and smear the cam follower in it when putting cam follower back into car. You do the same thing for a new cam follower as well.

NOW this might be a stupid question but what does OP mean lol

gtiboy87

GTI ON CRACK!!
Car(s)
2007 mkv gti
Don't forget one step which can save your fuel pump from self-destructing.

When all is re-assembled, turn the ignition on 3 or 4 times for 10 seconds or so, to allow the fuel pump to fill with fuel BEFORE cranking the engine and hence activating the pump plunger.

The pump only has petrol/gasolene as its lubricant, and needs to run in a bath of the stuff to prevent excessive wear. The tolerances inside these pumps are in microns, doesn't take much metal to metal to destroy that.

Thanks to Lucas from Eurospeed for that information.

AHHH DAMNN yea i knew that! I will be adding that into the DIY right now at the end!!! Thanks for the reminder. I wouldnt want to have a rally of DUBBERS come to my place and beg for justice of a hanging :thumbsup:

piston

Options
Yes, just take some fresh oil and smear the cam follower in it when putting cam follower back into car. You do the same thing for a new cam follower as well.

NOW this might be a stupid question but what does OP mean lol
OP = Original Post.

As for the oil//lube on the new CF, mine came oiled in the little container it came in.

gtiboy87

GTI ON CRACK!!
Car(s)
2007 mkv gti
Anyone else think the OP's cam lobe looks kinda on the bad side?

I answered this question before......Um i think the camera i used made every single tiny scratch come out like BAM!!!! and it makes the cam look like its all pitted and maked the edges look like they are worn rounded. I felt the camlobe, no signs of pitting or deep scratches..... BUT I might take my head off to make sure they r ok.

BY the way people i just went to a dealer here in AZ (im not from here, only here till march) and bought a new cam follower. I was looking into the aftermarket cam follower, but found no benefits to use it and the cost is 90 bucks! Dealer charged me 70 bucks total. I know SUCH a waste of money on a part that costs 2 cents and is made shitty!! BUT i dont want to have to spend 2500$ on a new HPFP and new cams and whatever else may go bad....

julito04

I plead the fif.
Car(s)
08 WRX Limited
I thought that it was recommended to put some moly on there when installing a new follower. or something like that.

piston

Options
I thought that it was recommended to put some moly on there when installing a new follower. or something like that.
After several hundred/thousand cam revolutions, any lube on the CF will most likely be worn off.
The CF also comes with the DLC.
So the real important thing is to have some good oil since that will be the main lubricant for the CF.

gtiboy87

GTI ON CRACK!!
Car(s)
2007 mkv gti
Yes, camfollower falt surface area that rides along the camshaft lobe is made of equal material to lobe. The flat surface provides slickness when riding along lobe. Oil helps to lubricate the two metals (the follower and camshaftlobe) during the cam revolution process, also helps to cut down on metal to metal contact and friction...... You do NOT want the follower to be running against the lobe raw (metal to metal) this would cause extreme wear and possibly metal shavings in your top end lol. Yes, the valve train already has some oil flowing throughout, BUT it is still important to put fresh oil on the follower when replacing back into motor, or simply putting the old one back in as well.

DuBB SWaGG

GTI 3yr Veteran
Car(s)
GTI MkV
GREAT DIY... THANKS :thumbsup:

gtiboy87

GTI ON CRACK!!
Car(s)
2007 mkv gti
YEAS SIR!!!! This will take you roughly 15 minutes to do. My DIY is VERY detailed, so it looks like its a lot more than what it realy is LOL. Once you have done this once it will literally take you no longer than 7 minutes to do.

sirsycott

Vagcom In OC = Me
off topic but what intake is that on the OP's car?

MKV808

Ready to race!
I need to do this very soon..but i got a banjo bolt or whatever and thats probably keeping me from doing this by myself.

DuBB SWaGG

GTI 3yr Veteran
Car(s)
GTI MkV
Im in the middle of releasing pressure of the fuel pump (inhales deep.... love the smell of gasoline :biggrin:) About a drop came out.... but i havent drove the car all day today. Is that right?

ard

Ready to race!
I need to do this very soon..but i got a banjo bolt or whatever and thats probably keeping me from doing this by myself.

just to let you know... the banjo bolt is an M8 triple square. you can get it off with an appropriately sized allen key but you'll strip it a little