GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

SIMPLE DIY cam follower check. DUMMY PROOF

gtiboy87

GTI ON CRACK!!
Car(s)
2007 mkv gti
I wonder why APR wouldn't design, manufacture, and sell a suitable replacement/improved part rather than just spend the not inconsiderable time developing the HPFP.

It would be simply good business to alert every Flash customer about the issue, and more so every HPFP customer, and sell them an improved cam follower.

Well, the factory cam follower is designed from the same material as the cam. If it were to maybe be stronger, i would think that eventually the cam lobe would wear more and you would need to replace the cams. Which, would be RETARTED. 1300$ in stock cams psssshhhh ha ha

GTIWV

WV VW
i would go as far and say to check it every oil change. every 10k is more than sufficient. i believe that it should be changed every 20-25k miles. i just changed mine at 26k, about 5k of that with the apr hpfp, and i got flashed at about 10k miles

Stranded in Daytona

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
06 2 door TR GTI
Well, the factory cam follower is designed from the same material as the cam. If it were to maybe be stronger, i would think that eventually the cam lobe would wear more and you would need to replace the cams. Which, would be RETARTED. 1300$ in stock cams psssshhhh ha ha

ahem...retarted=retarded...retard

gtiboy87

GTI ON CRACK!!
Car(s)
2007 mkv gti
hahaaaa as long as it doesnt look like an alien :biggrin:

well lol

Golfmkv might turn into a dating site as well :thumbsup:

2.0FSbri

2500 miles/month
Car(s)
2006 GTi
I just had a HELL of a time with this. The DIY is absolutely stellar, but it's no good for 2006 models with all metal tubing. The so-called "banjo" fitting (in place of the rubber hose in this DIY) requires a hard-to-find 8mm, 12-point "triple square" driver. BUT... even with the tool, there is no room for motion with the wrench. I couldn't brake it loose, let alone get it off. There's a write-up on golfmk5.net involving the triple-square fitting, but he makes it look way easier than it is. Pain in the ass... and I still don't know if I need a new cam follower... but I am on my second cam and fuel pump as a result of this very problem.

I'm just paying NGP to swap it out on Monday. $140. The piece is $80... and after this ordeal, they're WELCOME to an hour's labor.

PS. After getting it all back together, my check engine light came on.... My luck with this car is incredible.

gtiboy87

GTI ON CRACK!!
Car(s)
2007 mkv gti
Ahh if you go to NGP just tell dave you know sam with the apr stg3 car..... i have given them plenty of business!

johno

Volkswagen Autoliebhaber
Car(s)
R32
anyone with a stock gti had an issue with the cam follower. is getting it checked at 36000km too early?

cheers

2.0FSbri

2500 miles/month
Car(s)
2006 GTi
anyone with a stock gti had an issue with the cam follower. is getting it checked at 36000km too early?

I highly recommend monitoring it closely after 30K. My car was bone stock for the first 80K and at 60K (just barely under warranty) I had to replace the cam and high pressure fuel pump.

Dredknut

DSG Fart Fanatic
Car(s)
2007 GTI

cheers

75000km on stock software, this is what my cam follower looked like:

I'd check it at 30k, I almost guarantee you're going to see some wear.