GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

So you want to do a track event, eh? Start here.

Meat

rack rack 'em
Car(s)
2007 GTI [DSG]
do what?

sully

Ready to race!
If we host a track event for the Forum host it at Palm Beach International Raceway....................They just re did the track it is sick

cmdrfire

FIA World Rally Car Champion
also some clubs require long sleeve shirts, and pants ( no shorts)
i would reccomend wearing natural fibers

I'd also recommend that no logos etc on the clothes - I knew a guy who went racing (back when I was doing Formula Ford) with a big "Jordan" logo on the back of his teeshirt he wore underneath his racing suit. His car caught on fire, he got out okay but the area with the "Jordan" logo melted onto his skin... very painful, and now he's a life member to the non-existent Eddie Jordan fanclub.

A decent pair of nomex racing gloves is something I'd suggest as well, whenever I track my car I'm wearing them.

Meat

rack rack 'em
Car(s)
2007 GTI [DSG]
If we host a track event for the Forum host it at Palm Beach International Raceway....................They just re did the track it is sick

Nobody is planning a GolfMKV track day as far as I know.

I'd also recommend that no logos etc on the clothes - I knew a guy who went racing (back when I was doing Formula Ford) with a big "Jordan" logo on the back of his teeshirt he wore underneath his racing suit. His car caught on fire, he got out okay but the area with the "Jordan" logo melted onto his skin... very painful, and now he's a life member to the non-existent Eddie Jordan fanclub.

A decent pair of nomex racing gloves is something I'd suggest as well, whenever I track my car I'm wearing them.

If you're going to be wearing a fire suit it's always a good idea to wear properly rated underwear, but a suit is not necessary for HPDE's (thanks for the tip though). Gloves are a nice thing to have, but again they are not necessary.

LeesburgMKV

gold n' black
Car(s)
2008 VW GTI
Awesome! sticky this asap

mike2727

Ready to race!
Great write up, I would add HOD (Hookedondriving.com) they also organize events, and you get about 2 hours of track time per day

Although you did mention it, I would highly recommend at least higher boiling point brake fluid (ATE Blue, Motul RBF etc) and better than stock pads, to not spoil the day with overheated brakes.

Mike

Meat

rack rack 'em
Car(s)
2007 GTI [DSG]
Great write up, I would add HOD (Hookedondriving.com) they also organize events, and you get about 2 hours of track time per day

Although you did mention it, I would highly recommend at least higher boiling point brake fluid (ATE Blue, Motul RBF etc) and better than stock pads, to not spoil the day with overheated brakes.

Mike

I added them to the list. Thanks for reminding me, I said I was going to do a section on brakes but I forgot to add it. I'll do it now.

MKV_R32_2900

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MKV R32
This is what I needed. I've been to plenty of track days, but never tracked my car. Great Write up!!!

ETADRAFT

Wannabe Racer
Car(s)
08 GTI
Great Idea!
I have 1 addition to the list: Sports Car Driving Association (SCDA1.com) They run in the northeast region (NJ, NY, NH, CT)

EDIT: Most clubs are going to be requiring SA2005 helmets this year. Check with your club before going.

Last edited:

Frank Rizzo

Trailingthrottleoversteer
If you are located in southern or central California I highly recommend Speed Ventures (http://www.speedventures.com).

This year alone, I've been to Buttonwillow twice, Cal Speedway, and Laguna Seca (see pic below). Next up is the ROval at Cal speedway...that means we run the infield road course and get out on the banked oval Nascar track for half a lap and drop back down into the road course.

First class operation and it is broken down by skill levels from beginner to expert so you are running in groups of equal skill levels. Last weekend there were a couple of R8's and Gt-R's there. They usually have instructors for some one-on-one training for an additional cost.

You will need a SA2005 helmet or newer.
You have to have a tow point available on the vehicle (I screw in the factory tow hook).

Lots of good info on their website including a sample tech sheet and a "what to bring" checklist.

Laguna Seca Corkscrew: