GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

So you want to do a track event, eh? Start here.

Meat

rack rack 'em
Car(s)
2007 GTI [DSG]
thanks, added that club to the list

PS- I dream of conquering the corkscrew one day

Frank Rizzo

Trailingthrottleoversteer
amazing picture. any still pictures of the car? curious about what wheels you're running.

x2.
Pics:
http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92373&highlight=karthorums

They are 18" VW karthorums with Hankook Ventus s-02's.
The tires have about 1800 miles on them but they are toast thanks to Laguna and Buttonwillow :biggrin: But it was a gooood 1800 miles.
I'm working on a set of VW Goals (17x7.5, 20#) and some Nitto NT-01's

It's worth pointing out that if you are going to do more than a couple of track/autocross events per year, you should consider dedicated track wheels/tires. I burned thru my stock Dunlop SP Maxx and the Hankook's in just one summer.

For the group:
1. What's your guy's opinion on 225/45/17's? I'm technically "downgrading sidewall height for a more track ready tire since the R32 has 225/40/18's. I think this is the most common tire on the GTI as well...Wouldn't the overall compund be more important than sidewall height?

2. Does anyone have any good online resources for track tires OTHER than Tirerack.com? (they dont have Nitto's) and our sales tax here in Calif is almost 10%. I'd rather pay for shipping than sales tax.

TIA.

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
Personally, I'd recommend getting an 8" wide wheel because I think with a 7.5" wheel the max tire you could support is probably a 235/40/17. I've got that size on my 8" wheels and they fit fine as well, but next year I want to run 245/40/17 Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs; that's why I got 8" originally.

As for your question, 225/45/17 is technically the same spec as 225/40/18 since the middle number is an aspect ratio and it's based on the width as well as the diameter of the tire.

uscrew96

Ready to race!
there was a guy in Texas that put 285/30/18 Kumhos 710 on Huffs 18-71/2.

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
there was a guy in Texas that put 285/30/18 Kumhos 710 on Huffs 18-71/2.

Damn that's crazy. I'd be worried about breaking the bead though with hard cornering.

how many miles should I have on the car before I take it to the track?

VW says ~1000 miles for break in so I'd wait until at least that. But I don't see why you can't track it that early. I autox mine on the stock clutch at 52k and the clutch is on its way out but I still autox it.

Fahrenheit53

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2007 Fahrenheit GTI
Questions:

What would you recommend for a beginner to get into first, Autocross or HPDE, and why?

Or are they similar enough in concept that learning on both would not hinder the enjoyment or experience of the other?

Thanks!

BlueAHR32

Autocross Champion
Questions:

What would you recommend for a beginner to get into first, Autocross or HPDE, and why?

Or are they similar enough in concept that learning on both would not hinder the enjoyment or experience of the other?

Thanks!

Either one is fine. Personally I would suggest autocross. The techniques you learn in autocross will not transfer over into track racing, however it will help give you some confidence in pushing your car. Autocross is also cheaper in respect to the actual cost of the event, and modifications needed to race. For tracking what you need are brake pads, fluid, brake bushings, and tires. For autocross all you really need is tires. Mostly comes down to what you are willing to spend.

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
Either one is fine. Personally I would suggest autocross. The techniques you learn in autocross will not transfer over into track racing, however it will help give you some confidence in pushing your car. Autocross is also cheaper in respect to the actual cost of the event, and modifications needed to race. For tracking what you need are brake pads, fluid, brake bushings, and tires. For autocross all you really need is tires. Mostly comes down to what you are willing to spend.

While this is true for those of us who are more involved/competitive for it, on my first autox I ran 17x7 wheels with 215/45 Falken 512 all seasons and did just fine. Honestly IMO the biggest advantage you can have in autox or any driving is the driver mod. And that comes with practice and time and other guys giving you good advice.

Now on my second autox event, I had already purchased a set of 17x8 wheels with extreme performance tires:biggrin: (same ones in my sig, just different size).

But you don't absolutely need that if you're just doing it for fun and enjoy it. I enjoy autox a ton, but I'm a very competitive person as well. And yes, I 110% agree with it comes down with what you are willing or have to spend.

BlueAHR32

Autocross Champion
While this is true for those of us who are more involved/competitive for it, on my first autox I ran 17x7 wheels with 215/45 Falken 512 all seasons and did just fine. Honestly IMO the biggest advantage you can have in autox or any driving is the driver mod. And that comes with practice and time and other guys giving you good advice.

Now on my second autox event, I had already purchased a set of 17x8 wheels with extreme performance tires:biggrin: (same ones in my sig, just different size).

But you don't absolutely need that if you're just doing it for fun and enjoy it. I enjoy autox a ton, but I'm a very competitive person as well. And yes, I 110% agree with it comes down with what you are willing or have to spend.

Yea I do agree with you. You don't NEED tires. I did a whole half a season on crappy all season tires. However like you said, you will start to get competitive (I think everyone will) and then tires are a must :biggrin:

leegf

(OO=[][]=OO)
Questions:

Thanks!

autocross, because there's less initial up-front cost, and your chances of doing any damage to your car are far smaller (which isn't to say that hpde is unsafe- it's perfectly safe as long as you run with a reputable club). and you'll feel more comfortable exploring your car's limits in autocross than in hpde, at least initially. dollar-for-dollar, though, hpde is better bang for your buck because you get more seat time relative to what you pay.

they really are apples and oranges- one isn't really like the other. both are great, but i prefer road courses (track days) over parking lots.

Fahrenheit53

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2007 Fahrenheit GTI
Thanks for all your input. I am attending my first autocross tomorrow, but I have also been eyeing HPDE through NASA in the florida region. I would obviously be starting as a beginner but I'm hoping to be ready to attend the one coming up at the end of April at Palm Beach. Does anyone have experience with the Florida region NASA HPDE's?

For tracking what you need are brake pads, fluid, brake bushings, and tires. For autocross all you really need is tires. Mostly comes down to what you are willing to spend.

I've read about brake fade and it seems the consensus is to go with Hawk HPS or HP+ and to also upgrade the fluid. Can you ball park what this would cost, including labor? $150 to $200? What are brake bushings??

As for tires, my current set have about 3-4/32 of tread left and so I was figuring that I would need new tires shortly after the autocross.