GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY: Diverter Valve Change - tips

mose6161

OUT OF COMMISION
Car(s)
MK5 GTI
okay so here goes. i know a lot of people have tons of trouble with the top bolt, i know at one time i did, and i believe this is due to lack of proper tools, and in some cases, improper technique.

i took a couple pictures to illustrate how to remove the top bolt, as well as a picture of the proper tools.

first of all you must use a 1/4 socket wrench, short extension, and 1/4 drive 5mm allen socket.

i feel like the removal/installation is very self explanatory, if you do not understand what to do, you SHOULD NOT BE DOING THIS. if you just need a push in the right direction, then here are the steps.

1. Secure car on jackstands/ramps. be careful and safe, as it is you and your life underneath your car.
2. locate DV, unclip solenoid plug.
3. there are 3 bolts symmetrically spaced out on the DV, 5mm allen/hex bolts. begin by removing the top bolt. correct positioning can be seen in pictures below.

i suggest getting it loose, then using the socket extension w/o the socket wrench as you will may not have enough clearance with it on. either that, or use your hands.

4. remove the other two bolts. do not remove the 4th bolt placed unevenly between the bottom two.
5. inspect / remove diverter valve.
6. reinstall or install new DV, using Blue Locktite on the bolts

i suggest beginning with one of the bottom bolts, not tightening all the way, to get the valve secure. then replace the top bolt, and then install the 3rd bolt.
7. go for a drive stupid! your car is fast again!

Attachments

• gv2.JPG
    gv2.JPG
    276.3 KB · Views: 54,964
  • gv3.JPG
    gv3.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 60,932

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
Car(s)
VW GTI MKVI
nice tips - how did the broken clip work out for you that you posted up earlier? Switching those wires out of it is a pain!!

gmakdaddy

Yummy
Car(s)
Red 4 Door
I found this tool worked great. Along with a 5mm bit. I got it at a Murray's discount auto for $7.

Attachments

• 940482.jpg
    940482.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 51,863

loudib

Dingle Berry Champ
nice write up...how do you know when to replace your DV?...will a CEL come on?...I took a dealer trip today and they replaced my breather valve (i think thats a pcv) with the G version...at first I was thinking it was a G DV...also, can you tell which version you have just by looking really quick or do you need to unbolt and remove the valve?

mose6161

OUT OF COMMISION
Car(s)
MK5 GTI
hey btw if there is anything you guys want added to this thread, let me know and i will try and take more pictures / add more details.

hope it helps!