GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY: Rear Seat Removal

NewaveRide

LOLOMGWTFEUROVERATED
Car(s)
07 VW Rabbit 2-door
So a few people are interested in taking out their rear seats and I figured if anyone else wants to do it for track or audio install I might as well make a DIY for it.

I am not responsible for any broken parts, this is for guidance purposes only.

Since my car is already done I used the GF's car to show where the each part is.

1. Starting with the bench seat, there are 4 plastic clips along the back of the bench seat. They are just a matter of pushing down on the front and pulling them out.

2. After getting all 4 clips off you want to lift up on the front of the bench seat on both sides. Get your hand under the bench and lift up in the back then pull it out.

3. Now that you have the bench out you can work on the back rests. Start off by pulling the trunk cover out along with the styrofoam surrounding the spare. You can pull out the spare if you want but its not necessary. After all that is done you can start by pulling off the plastic cover from the seat bearing. Best way to do this is pull out on the sides and pull back.

4. Underneath there is a bolt that holds on the the top of the seat bearing. It just takes a T25(?) torx bit to come out. To get the top off you can wiggle it around or use a flat head to pop it off.

5. The single seat backrest will now be able to lift out of the bearing. To get the backrest out you lift it up out of the bearing on the one side and then pull the seat towards the center of the car off the shaft from the side of the car.

6. The double seat backrest requires a 10mm (?) triple square driver so you can unbolt the seat belt that is attached to the seat. It is torqued down to 40Nm so it will require a bit of force to pull off. To get to the bolt pulling the backrest up and off the bearing will make it easier, just lay it out of the way some. After you unbolt the seat belt you pull towards the center to slide the backrest off the shaft on the side of the car. (You can also pull the seat off completely and then unbolt the seat belt if you like)

And a better look at the bolt for the seat belt:

And a look at the seat bearing after the seats are out with the top piece on:

After all is done you can sit back and enjoy the fruits of your labor:

Hope this is helpful for you. It will not take long to pull out or put in the seats if you have all the tools available. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

NewaveRide

LOLOMGWTFEUROVERATED
Car(s)
07 VW Rabbit 2-door
thanks, i am almost 100% positive on the bit sizes but since im not 100% due to the fact i did this a couple days ago i put the ? next the them.

NewaveRide

LOLOMGWTFEUROVERATED
Car(s)
07 VW Rabbit 2-door
i think its a T 30 screw?

it may be. i just looked at what bit was still on the wrench but i also pulled the grill off for some things.

the seat belt bolt is definitely a 10mm triple square though

NewaveRide

LOLOMGWTFEUROVERATED
Car(s)
07 VW Rabbit 2-door
nice write up. :thumbsup:

did you find out how much all of it weighs?

someone on vortex said something that with the spare, jack, rear seats, ect. out it knocks off just over 100lbs. i think the back seat alone takes out like 55lbs but i lack a scale to actually weigh it all. i'm leaving the seats out for good unless i need them then ill pop them back in and when im done they come back out.

the spare and shit will come out for track days.

NewaveRide

LOLOMGWTFEUROVERATED
Car(s)
07 VW Rabbit 2-door
very nice right up. I have a scale when I remove all the stuff I'll weight it for sure :) and post it in here :)

sounds good bro

Drone

Watching U
Car(s)
2006 VW Rabbit
Well I thought . I had the proper Tools for this turns out I didn't Ha ha. Ill get them this week. But in the mean time I weighted The Spare and the tools :)

Spare 15 inch steelie at spec inflation is 32Lbs
Tools are 6 lbs for a total of 38 lbs :/

Its a start I suppose lol.

Last edited:

VTECnical

Great. Thank you. The girl and I do not need the rear seats. I am going to yank them out for less LBS and more storage...

Does anyone know of a kit that can be installed after the rear seats are gone? I would like a flat non skid insert...

Last edited:

NewaveRide

LOLOMGWTFEUROVERATED
Car(s)
07 VW Rabbit 2-door
Great. Thank you. The girl and I do not need the rear seats. I am going to yank them out for less LBS and more storage...

Does anyone know of a kit that can be installed after the rear seats are gone? I would like a flat non skid insert...

you could always make your own using some plywood and 2x4s. just measure it out and build it and then wrap up in some carpeting. and to take care of rattles just put some pieces of rubber around the bottom.

really not hard at all but if youre too lazy to do it, im sure you could find an audio shop to make something for you