GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY - Euro OEM Shark-Fin Antenna Swap

ewoo

Rally Car Newbie
DIY - Whip-Type to (OEM) Shark-Fin Type Antenna Swap

I ordered my US spec GTI with Package 0. Although I had no issues with the whip-type (aka bee-sting) antenna that came with it, I felt that the shark-fin antenna looked better (and more appropriate for this generation).

However, in reviewing the stock photos, I noticed that the Europeans got a nicer, more slender looking shark-fin compared to the bigger, bulkier ones here in the US. After some research, I found-out that the bulk was mainly due to the additional satellite radio circuitry needed for XM/Sirius.

Anyway, I ordered my european OEM shark-fin online and got it professionally color-matched/painted and did the install. Of course, before that, I spent quite a bit of time reviewing the service manual and looking for other DIYs out there. I noticed that some UK forum members had done it but none ever got around to posting their specifics.

So, here it is...

Pictures for now and write-up details later. (I got sorta burned out doing the install and taking the pictures!!!)

It was kind of a bitch to do it but, like many tough mods, totally worth it! (Mostly difficult because of the tight-confined spaces. If you took the time to remove all the necessary interior panels--include the back seat--you could significantly lower the headliner and easily reach all the necessary parts.)

UPDATE: BTW, I noticed that FM reception was fine without the antenna connected. However, AM reception was none-existent. This is strange since I thought both AM & FM antennas were built-into the rear windshield.

Both AM & FM were fine when I hooked-up the antenna--even with the thick coat of primer, paint & clear-coat.

UPDATE 5/2007: Doing this swap may throw "Antenna disconnected" fault codes behind the scenes (ie. they won't show-up on your MFD but may show-up when scanned with a VAG-COM). As far as I can tell, it's not show-stopper but please do it at your own risk.

UPDATE 6/2008:The EU antenna shown in this DIY are for extending cellphone reception. It does nothing to enhance FM/AM reception. Also, for more information on FAKRA connectors look here: http://vwnavi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7561

Attachments

• sharkfin_closeup.jpg
    sharkfin_closeup.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 123,590
  • antenna_base_view.jpg
    antenna_base_view.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 119,078
  • panels_interior.jpg
    panels_interior.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 112,840
  • roof_edge_trim.jpg
    roof_edge_trim.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 107,462
  • roof_hole.jpg
    roof_hole.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 114,690
  • under_headliner.jpg
    under_headliner.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 106,654
  • antenna_nut.jpg
    antenna_nut.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 108,923
  • connector_hookup.jpg
    connector_hookup.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 103,331
  • connector_closeup.jpg
    connector_closeup.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 101,671
  • c-pillar_closeup.jpg
    c-pillar_closeup.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 103,062
Last edited:

ewoo

Rally Car Newbie
Continued...

Torque Specs:

- Torx screw behind the AIRBAG emblem: 4Nm (35 lbsf/in)
- Grab handle screws: 2Nm (18 lbsf/in)
- Hex nut on c-pillar: 1.5Nm (13 lbsf/in)

Attachments

• airbag_front.jpg
    airbag_front.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 98,720
  • airbag_side.jpg
    airbag_side.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 98,083
  • airbag_back.jpg
    airbag_back.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 97,899
  • side_view.jpg
    side_view.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 105,352
  • full_view.jpg
    full_view.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 104,160
Last edited:

seung

Oval Newbie
wow,
very nice.

kinda off- topic but
i've noticed that "shark fin" antennas are
almost always installed crooked.
(i thought it was just my car but
after seeing my co- worker's and friends cars...)
maybe i can fix mine with your write- up...

ewoo

Rally Car Newbie
seung said:
wow,
very nice.

kinda off- topic but
i've noticed that "shark fin" antennas are
almost always installed crooked.
(i thought it was just my car but
after seeing my co- worker's and friends cars...)
maybe i can fix mine with your write- up...

Yeah, I read about lots of people having crooked fins... Hopefully it's not a factory hole stamping issue! Because the antenna's base fits tightly into the square hole. If the hole is crooked~ ahhhhh!!!!! :mad:

Maseroche

Ready to race!
Very nice. Thank you for the write-up.

Maseroche

Ready to race!
As I understood from his write-up, the AM was non-existent before he hooked up the Sharkfin Antenna.