GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY stereo removal with pix

h82bslo

Autocross Newbie
hey guys,
trying to help as much as i can. here is to how you can remove your stereo.
it was suppose to diy ipod adaptor install, but the one we bought from mp3yourcar.com does not work they way they claim it should. so here are the instructions. DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK AND I'M NOT LIABLE FOR DAMAGES THAT YOU CAUSE TO YOUR CAR.

tools needed:
torx-hex and flat head screwdrivers
towel to put between your screwdriver and your car.
10mm socket

1. DISCONNECT YOUR CAR BATTERY using the 10mm socket. remove the tab right in front of the center top vent to remove the vent cover.

2. after removing the vent you are able to remove the torx-hex screw holding the vent switch and door.

3. with the vent switch and door removed you will uncover the two screws holding the top part of your center dash together. you are now able to remove the top partion of the your center dash including the center vents.

4. after the top part is remove there are two screws holding the bottom part of you center dash. remove those and you'll be able to pop the bottom of your center dash out using your flat head screw driver. BE SURE TO USE YOUR TOWEL ON THE HEAD OF YOU FLAT HEAD SCREWDRIVER. so you won't scratch your car.

5. last step is the removal of the four screws holding your stereo together. remove those and BAM you are done. putting the stereo back is just the reverse order.

Attachments

• IMG_2698.jpg
    IMG_2698.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 100,143
  • IMG_2700.jpg
    IMG_2700.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 99,770
  • IMG_2703.jpg
    IMG_2703.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 100,017
  • IMG_2704.jpg
    IMG_2704.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 122,939
  • IMG_2706.jpg
    IMG_2706.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 99,406
Last edited:

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Couple of tips to add. It is easier to take off the top part of the stereo surround if you loosen the pops on the bottom part. This release the tabs on the top part that slip behinde the bottom stereo surround part. Also get a plastic pry tool when poping this dash, it is very easy to mark up. Oh yeah....don't forget to remove your cd's too. LOL

h82bslo

Autocross Newbie
thanks for adding the tip. i didn't write that in, but i had to do that too just to have the bottom loose enough to release the top.

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
You can install a double din unit in there. I have a single din center channel speaker and my kenwood indash unit in my car.

nomad

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
hey man, thank you for that DIY, definately very informative and helpful!

Mary and Phil

Passed Driver's Ed
hey guys,
trying to help as much as i can. here is to how you can remove your stereo.
it was suppose to diy ipod adaptor install, but the one we bought from mp3yourcar.com does not work they way they claim it should. so here are the instructions. DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK AND I'M NOT LIABLE FOR DAMAGES THAT YOU CAUSE TO YOUR CAR.

tools needed:
torx-hex and flat head screwdrivers
towel to put between your screwdriver and your car.
10mm socket

1. DISCONNECT YOUR CAR BATTERY using the 10mm socket. remove the tab right in front of the center top vent to remove the vent cover.

2. after removing the vent you are able to remove the torx-hex screw holding the vent switch and door.

3. with the vent switch and door removed you will uncover the two screws holding the top part of your center dash together. you are now able to remove the top partion of the your center dash including the center vents.

4. after the top part is remove there are two screws holding the bottom part of you center dash. remove those and you'll be able to pop the bottom of your center dash out using your flat head screw driver. BE SURE TO USE YOUR TOWEL ON THE HEAD OF YOU FLAT HEAD SCREWDRIVER. so you won't scratch your car.

5. last step is the removal of the four screws holding your stereo together. remove those and BAM you are done. putting the stereo back is just the reverse order.

Yer GTI doesn't have the metal trim around the radio huh? How come?