GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

W6050 only this thread

mrx

Connoisseur
Car(s)
2007 CW Golf GTI 5dr
So it would appear from the diagrams that the roof mounted antenna is indeed passive & the window mounted antennas are active. Strange that voltage was present on both outputs of the radio though? I guess it won't do any harm sending 12V to the passive antenna, maybe they just did it so it doesn't matter if the antenna connections get plugged into the wrong socket? Maybe the roof mounted antenna has a filter in it & is only for FM. That would explain why AM/FM only works with the powered antenna connected, and FM is improved by connecting both.

Anyway, you can use the connects 2 adapter that some of you are using, or a Y-adapter, both seem to work.

Oskar

Ready to race!
Some other points to answer questions
Verbatim answers from the factory techs.

1/. Can you see the telephone number and/or phone book in the MFD?

I am sorry that our maching can't see the telephone number and phone book in the MFD,as the phone date capability is too big, if operate too frequently,will cause the machine easily broken down.

2/. Can you also reconfirm this ?

a/. A shinier finish on it to more match the VW Dash
YES
b. calculater being added
NO
3/. Ability to access 4 different GPS programs from touchscreen rather than the previous 3
YES
4/. NO DESKTOP Function (I couldn't imagine that anyway)
NO,as the original model has a hard disk can access folder from the main screen,but we didn't have the hard disk in our machine,but we have GPS card and SD card,can also acess too many folders.

5/. Phone Button will function
YES

6/. Right side steering wheel controls will function
YES

7/ MFD interface
YES

mrx

Connoisseur
Car(s)
2007 CW Golf GTI 5dr
3/. Ability to access 4 different GPS programs from touchscreen rather than the previous 3
YES

Can you please explain what this means? I thought the only way to change between GPS software was to go into the Mesada interface and change the exe file to load?

Ylian

Passed Driver's Ed
Connecting both antennas, iGO8 update and more

Updating the firmware on the WD6050 would be great, lots of fixes they could work on.

I just ordered two antenna adapters on eBay that should allow me to connect both to the WD6050. You can search on eBay for a "Antenna Y-Adapter Splitter 2 Female to 1 Male ISO - DIN", and I also got another antenna adapter like the one that ships with the WD6050. MRX knows what is going on. After some research, I think both AM/FM antennas are in the rear-window and top antenna is just for Sirius Satellite radio in the US. So in the US at least, pushing +12v on both antenna lines is the way to go. I can't wait to try it. Thanks MRX!

About the sound quality, I do hear electronic noise in the speakers. A small beat and an occasional chirp. It seems like 16 beats and a chirp repeating, it happens even when the engine is off and WD6050 is not muted (stops when muted). Also, turning the volume dial will cause more noises. It's not loud, but it would be nice to get ride of it.

iGO8 v8.0.0 that came with the system have no POI (Point of Interests) for North America. This was annoying, you can't search the local airport or restaurants. A quick search online and I was able to add all of the iGO8 POI. I looked at "POI Plaza" web site, at first I figured it was great, but it's far inferior from the real POI that normally come with iGO8.

I also proceed to update to iGO8 v8.3.2.71348. It took a lot of fiddling around and the maps from iGO8 v8.0 are not compatible with v8.3. Still, I can confirm that it works well. I now keep both v8.0 and v8.3 SD cards in the car, just in case I run into trouble with v8.3. No major differences so far, but I expect new maps to be much better. I also added topographic & 3D building information, but have not seen what they look like yet. The device resolution of 480x234 is a bit odd, so it's not easy find the right iGO8 skins.

Y

Last edited:

Ylian

Passed Driver's Ed
I read something about being able to switch between 3 navigation programs. How do you do this? So far, I exit iGO8 and use the menu system to point to a different .exe files and launch the nav app again. With the new maps (USA, Canada, Mexico) with and all topo, buildings, voices and everything else, I am at 1.2G on the 2 gig flash card. I could remove a bunch of things, but unless I remove parts of the north American maps, I am not going to fit 3 nav apps on the card. Maybe two at most.

y

Ylian

Passed Driver's Ed
Read iPod input.

does this unit have a rear ipod input?

It does not, but it has a rear auxiliary audio and video input connectors. If you have an iPhone or IPod Touch, you can output video from the iPod to the WD6050 with the right Apple adapter. This said, using the auxiliary inputs, you can't control the iPod like you would if it was connected in the front iPod connector.

y

kv12

Ready to race!
They WILL Supply us Flash files for distribution to upgrade the older versions.

Factory confirmed.

Oskar: Wow! Sweet! I am looking forward to the update! Thanks again!

Ylian: Refer to Pg.30 Post #645 of this thread for a skin package and themes I uploaded for 480X234 / iGO8 v8.3.2.71348. You can also check out pics of the unit with the 3D buildings within the post.

benno

AU section: 1 man band
Hmmm bugger, I really want to have an ipod permanently in the glovebox and a separate mount for my iPhone using the AV input.

Do any of the alternatives to this unit offer a rear input?

Jayro

Old Newbie
P33 replies

Busy forum this,
The twin Fakra splitter to ISO I posted yesterday arrived and I hooked it up to a 12v power supply, and it feeds 12v to both Fakra's.
Will fit it today and report on performance.

The News from Oskar is brilliant, and I promote him where ever and when ever I can, he deserves our support.

The ipod fac, fitted centre consul linkes up to the Quadlock (the mini iso blue plug) and it works just like a cd changer if that is any good to you. This cable interface is available on Ebay.