GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Painting Lowers - Little Different Prep

agpatel

Touring Car Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI MkV
So I wanted to paint my lowers and talked to my dad who works for SEM Products. The first thought was to sand down the texture and go from there but he brought home some Scuff and Clean. It is pretty much soap with pumice in it. Using it with a scouring pad it will smooth out the texture enough to were you are able to prime and paint it. It will not get rid of the texture, can if you spend the time to do it, but will take it down a good deal. I felt that it was easier to do it this way than sanding it a few times. On the rear bumper I just put the scouring pad on a DA and used it on med speed.

Below you can see the Scuff and Clean and the plastic prep that was used to clean up the plastic to get rid of the residue from the scuff and clean.

As you can see above the ares above the bumper were taped off so I would not scratch and paint and the lower section was taped off as I wanted to keep that black.

Once everything was cleaned on the car, all the parts were taken off the car and given one final once over.

The side skirt removal was difficult as it was held in by the rail and the tape, ended up pulling a little and just cutting the tape as my dad pulled on the skirt.

The tape was then removed using Xylene(3m adhesive remove will work as it is mostly Xylene) Just soaked a rag in it and put it on top of the foam tape and it just started to come off pretty easily.

Took the parts to my dads work to use their new spray booth:

We tinted the primer red so that it would take less coats of base coat as well if the base coat chips for any reason the priper is red. First a adhesion promoter was sprayed on and allowed to flash then 2 coats of primer were applied:

Pic's Primed and cured 24 hrs:

Went back the next day and started the sanding, first started out with 320 grit to knock off the orange peal and make them smooth then a final pass with 600 grit.

Once everything was sanded, all the parts were solvent cleaned and tack clothed outside the booth, and then once more inside the spray booth.

All the products that have been used and mixing the base coat for spraying:

First coat of PPG base coat was applied as you can see some of the deeper sanding marks can be seen...

Now the 2ed coat of base coat was applied:

Once the 2ed base coat was given time to flash, 2 coats of SEM Real Clear was applied:

The parts were then baked at 140*F for 20 min with a 10 min cool down time. This was to help cure the finish stronger and faster.

Final parts after baking and cool down:

I have not put them on the car yet but will be doing it soon, waiting a day or so to finish the curing process. The color is a exact match, PPG allows a +/- 0.2% delta from a standard paint color, which the eye can not see the difference of 0.2%. Once put next to the car the color is pretty much exact. Will post installed pics as soon as i get them on and get some tape to put the side skirts on. Which one is most people using, the one i found at the store was 30 mil and seemed to be too thin, do I need 45 or 60 mil?

Let me know if you have any questions. But hope this shows that you don't need to sand it down the whole way and its just another way to prep the texture plastic for painting.

Last edited:

97C280

Stage 2
Works. Great write up. When I did mine, I wasn't sure if I should have sanded my base coat. So I just let it dry for a few hours and resprayed another layer on top. Then cleared and sanded it smooth and cleared again. Then did cut and buff. It came out pretty good for a first timer.

Dredknut

DSG Fart Fanatic
Car(s)
2007 GTI
Pics are coming up fine now. Parts look like they came out nice!

What is that lip I see under your hatch there? I have been looking for something similar to this, as that area under the hatch is getting scratched to shit from hauling my dog's crate in and out of the hatch.

agpatel

Touring Car Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI MkV
Works. Great write up. When I did mine, I wasn't sure if I should have sanded my base coat. So I just let it dry for a few hours and resprayed another layer on top. Then cleared and sanded it smooth and cleared again. Then did cut and buff. It came out pretty good for a first timer.

You normally do not wait for the base coat to dry before you put on the clear, just wait for it to tack up. The same with applying the coats of base coat and coats of clear just wait for it to flash and tack up. The only time i waited for the paint to dry was before sanding, for obvious reasons.

agpatel

Touring Car Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI MkV
Got the front and back on just now and looks good, cant tell a difference in the paint by eye in the sun. Will get pics up soon. What thickness tape is everyone using for the side, i tried 0.030" but it was to thin, i was thinking about 65 mil (0.065") molding tape would work, just wanted to see what others were using.

agpatel

Touring Car Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI MkV
Pics of the front and rear put on, sides wont be put on till I find the right tape thickness for the side skirts.

agpatel

Touring Car Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI MkV
looks good so far. must be nice to have a paint booth available to you

Correction it is nice to have a paint booth, all supplies, paint, and material needed available free to you. :biggrin:

Now I do not know the next big project, black wheels? black hood or roof..?

1canuck2

Ready to race!
Looks great! I would like to do my lowers, but can't justify the $$. If only my dad had a paint shop...

It looks like your rear lower bumper is not pushed all the way into the clips properly.

darcness

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI CW
Looks amazing bud. Good job all around. I too want to do my lowers, but taking them on and off is the main thing holding me back. I don't want to have the skirts end up fitting incorrectly when I put them back on.

Also, where did you get those sick tail lights? They look amazing! :wink: