GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

R32 KW SHS HPA suspension installed and road impressions

HowieR32

The Stooge-master
I have finally installed the kit after waiting 3 months delivery of it from Canada.

The KW SHS HPA sports suspension is a kit with dampers and springs. Only the sprins are adjustable in height. I went for around 10-15mm drop in height where it would settle down closer to 15. So far I haven't experienced aby major scraping although on tight corners the front guards would rub if I hit a bump mid corner.

I run 46psi all round and still the ride quality has improved with a significant reduction of the crashing one gets from ruts or pot holes on the road. I think on very small oscillations of the springs the dampers are underdamped as I feel the juggling on the car body when coming to a complete stop.

Overall the ride is very similar to oem with a sharpening of the steering response and better road surface controll. Smooth roads definitely feel smoother than before and body roll has reduced a tad.

I had them installed two days ago so the setup is still bedding in and will report more on the progress when I can.

The ride height is very nice, subtle and completes the look of the R32 with the 18" wheels filling in the guards nicely. There is only a fingers width gap on the front with almost no gap in the rear.

I am pleased with the results as I expected as much after driving RADIUM black R32. Thanks for the test drive!

Howie

srbsta

Banned
Car(s)
2006 Volkswagen GTI
:needpics::needpics::middlefinger::middlefinger::middlefinger::middlefinger::middlefinger:

Hilton_K

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2007 GTI
Firstly, 46PSI!! :eyebulge:

Need some photo's of the car, sounds like it sits good on the road with the 15MM drop.

How much was the kit and what site did you order through.

HowieR32

The Stooge-master

here are the pics as promised, it was a pita to do this as I'm on my iPhone. I bought them from HPA as they're a tuned item from KW for HPA. However I was slugged with customs and a painfully long lead time. Not sure if I would buy from them again, though the customer service was okay.

HowieR32

The Stooge-master
Yeah 46psi. The manf. Specs state around 280kpa which is around 42psi. The guys at Ian luff say that all cars should be up pressured by 4psi to improve handling and safety as all factory specs are too conservative for ride comfort.

Jester_Fu

My Name is Angela.
Car(s)
Daytona Grey TT RS
38/36 is too low in the R from my experience. The steering feel is reduced and the amount of understeer increased with low pressures like those.

Glad to hear you're happy with the shs, howie.

G-rig

Go Kart Champion
That looks great Howie, so does your UJ R32..

I can't imagine 46PSI either but agree 38 is a bit low. I've been putting 40 PSI in which seems ok, otherwise feels more bumpy that the suspension :lol:.

The tyre shop probably said this as they want you to wear your tyres out quickly..

One of the guys in the US is wondering how low you can go with these, ie close up the gap?

15mm would be more than a one finger gap i reckon. I took mine down about 32mm at the front and that was a bit less than a finger.

cheers,
Ps Nice LED's too.

Last edited:

Blitzen

Professional .....
Damn all those good reviews. Fell I need those coilovers ..... and the HPA has them only sale ..... must resist .....

-jakrbt-

.:R32 OG
Damn all those good reviews. Fell I need those coilovers ..... and the HPA has them only sale ..... must resist .....

Don't fight it! Just order them! I'm about to do the same as soon as I can see what a 35mm drop looks like. Ordering exhaust, too.:biggrin:

I love my wife! :wub: Has to be the coolest chick around. She pretty much lets me get what I want for my car/quads without question. Only stipulation is that whatever I do, it has to pass the Wife Test.

HowieR32

The Stooge-master
I guess they've settled down over time. There is barely a fingers gap at the rear and a bit more than one at the front. So far no scraping , only a bit of rub at RNP which by the way the setup handled MAGICALLY! even the gravelled section stood no chance on these tasty coils.