GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2013 Subaru BRZ

BlaineWasHere

I brake for apexes!
Yeah, that is bad news. Bad news thinking there will be a significant 2015 refresh containing more power. My guess is it's only going to be a visual facelift.

It also may be bad news for the MX-5 and other possible cars like this.

hairyblackrabbit

Powerful like a gorilla
Cry much? Sales suck cause they produced a car that failed to meet the hype created for it. It's slow, not really all that practical, and not really that inexpensive either. They made it a niche car, it isn't actually one.

I think you both missed the important part, sales are bad to the point where the probability of future models has been hurt significantly.

I think you missed my point, anyone expecting sales of a niche car to be to the moon probably has cognitive issues. It is a great car but it's in a pigeon hole. It works for singles and those with multiple cars. Myself and gf can go out for a day bring our small dog with in his kennel, buy groceries and whatever else while were out. That isn't on the table with any other small rwd. So yes, relative to a miata, solstice, lotus, cayman, it is practical. Relative to the needs of someone who has to use a rear seat and only can afford/park one car it is impractical. If we take the 3 dogs another vehicle must be used. But that's fine have a truck, forester and golf also. That situation of which car to take doesn't exist in much of the world. 'Murica. I have fit 60" windows, a bike, more than a car worth of tires and a lot of other things in it. So yes. Some practicality does exist relative to the class, but obviously not compared to all cars as a whole.

I want to see the wagon turbo, Jesus version as much as the next person. But to think all these variants will spawn from a niche car is retarded.

So far there have been sti versions, wagon (please), sedan and convertible tossed around.

Any of which prices the car further out of it's already stretched price point. At 30k+ Which is what you can expect most of the sought variants to hit there are too many other appealing vehicles, even on the new market alone. At 24 (base frs negotiated) though it's passable.

This problem becomes even worse in other countries which Blaine illustrated and you missed the point on.

Lucidity

Marx
Yeah, that is bad news. Bad news thinking there will be a significant 2015 refresh containing more power. My guess is it's only going to be a visual facelift.

It also may be bad news for the MX-5 and other possible cars like this.

Not sure how the MX-5 got dragged into this, considering it's the most affordable convertible on the market, and despite recent sales not being ideal, has a good overall history sales wise. Also the newest iteration has already been green lit, is currently testing, and will also underpin an Alfa IIRC.

I think you missed my point, anyone expecting sales of a niche car to be to the moon probably has cognitive issues. It is a great car but it's in a pigeon hole. It works for singles and those with multiple cars. Myself and gf can go out for a day bring our small dog with in his kennel, buy groceries and whatever else while were out. That isn't on the table with any other small rwd. So yes, relative to a miata, solstice, lotus, cayman, it is practical. Relative to the needs of someone who has to use a rear seat and only can afford/park one car it is impractical. If we take the 3 dogs another vehicle must be used. But that's fine have a truck, forester and golf also. That situation of which car to take doesn't exist in much of the world. 'Murica. I have fit 60" windows, a bike, more than a car worth of tires and a lot of other things in it. So yes. Some practicality does exist relative to the class, but obviously not compared to all cars as a whole.

I want to see the wagon turbo, Jesus version as much as the next person. But to think all these variants will spawn from a niche car is retarded.

So far there have been sti versions, wagon (please), sedan and convertible tossed around.

Any of which prices the car further out of it's already stretched price point. At 30k+ Which is what you can expect most of the sought variants to hit there are too many other appealing vehicles, even on the new market alone. At 24 (base frs negotiated) though it's passable.

This problem becomes even worse in other countries which Blaine illustrated and you missed the point on.

It was never meant to be a niche car, you're only calling it such cause it hasn't sold for dick in a global market. The only class that truly matters for the average car buyer is that of price. I'm interested to see how the sales end up being as we are quickly approaching the release of the 2015 Mustang, another relatively small car, that is RWD, yet somehow is not niche and sells boatloads... The only reason it's in a pigeon hole is because it offers less value than every other vehicle in its class.

BlaineWasHere

I brake for apexes!
Not sure how the MX-5 got dragged into this, considering it's the most affordable convertible on the market, and despite recent sales not being ideal, has a good overall history sales wise. Also the newest iteration has already been green lit, is currently testing, and will also underpin an Alfa IIRC.

Ummmm because the current MX-5 has just about identical power to weight ratio and base MSRP as the FR-S. Both are handing focused cars and are cross shopable. I bought the FR-S because I wanted something like the MX-5 or s2000 but absolutely didn't want a roadster.

And something with the size of Mustang, 370Z, or gen coupe doesn't meet my autoX needs being so large.

Yes the new MX-5 is coming and Alfa will get a version. There is also a rumor the MX-5 will have a coupe variant for the first time ever.

Sterling

Steel Tip
Car(s)
S3
Where are all the fr-s / brz advertisements that label it NOT as a niche car?

BlaineWasHere

I brake for apexes!
It's production numbers are that of a niche car also. All of it's variants are built on ONE line in Japan.

How many lines in how many countries does VW build the Golf? That's NOT a niche car.

Also another thing we haven't touched on is even though worldwide sales are slow, North American sales are strong.

Only reason I'd buy an FRS over any other small ass car that competes with it

It was the major reason for me. I prefer it's styling over the MX-5 as well.

hairyblackrabbit

Powerful like a gorilla
It was never meant to be a niche car, you're only calling it such cause it hasn't sold for dick in a global market. The only class that truly matters for the average car buyer is that of price. I'm interested to see how the sales end up being as we are quickly approaching the release of the 2015 Mustang, another relatively small car, that is RWD, yet somehow is not niche and sells boatloads... The only reason it's in a pigeon hole is because it offers less value than every other vehicle in its class.

Wait.

How is a small rwd coupe with an imaginary back seat not a niche car? Frz, miata, rx8, exige, etc, etc. all niche cars, all fantastic vehicles for picking up some penis

It sure as fuck isn't aiming for mainstream sales.

Saying the frz isn't a niche car is like saying lucidity doesn't start internet debates for jerkoff material.

Lucidity

Marx
Wait.

How is a small rwd coupe with an imaginary back seat not a niche car? Frz, miata, rx8, exige, etc, etc. all niche cars, all fantastic vehicles for picking up some penis

It sure as fuck isn't aiming for mainstream sales.

Saying the frz isn't a niche car is like saying lucidity doesn't start internet debates for jerkoff material.

Heres' how;

http://wardsauto.com/sales-amp-marketing/scion-expects-20000-fr-s-sales-annually

That's US sales. For Subaru it was never meant to be a sales leader, for Scion it was supposed to help get them to actually turning a profit. And to but that into perspective, I think Mustangs do something like 60k annually, given they have about 8 variants (coupe and convert of everything + shelby models etc etc). 25k between both models is not what I would call niche.

hairyblackrabbit

Powerful like a gorilla
Heres' how;

http://wardsauto.com/sales-amp-marketing/scion-expects-20000-fr-s-sales-annually

That's US sales. For Subaru it was never meant to be a sales leader, for Scion it was supposed to help get them to actually turning a profit. And to but that into perspective, I think Mustangs do something like 60k annually, given they have about 8 variants (coupe and convert of everything + shelby models etc etc). 25k between both models is not what I would call niche.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10766 looks like they just about hit that target domestically

miata is also niche http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2011/01/mazda-mx-5-miata-sales-figures.html

corolla clearly is not niche

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Corolla#Sales_numbers

5k, 25k, or 60k none of them compare with the 300k of a mainstream sedan, whats your point again?

how hard is it for you to understand that coupes will only ever have a fraction of the appeal/demand/production/sales of a sedan, this becomes even more defined in locations where a person may only be able to afford one car to handle needs more pressing than driving enjoyment. There are priorities higher than race car.

Heres usa sales where many driveways have 2 or more cars. Now imagine the difference in the rest of the world where someone is lucky to have one car or a driveway.

Personally, I want to be the guy that bought the only rx8.

Last edited:

Sterling

Steel Tip
Car(s)
S3
Still waiting to see where Scion/Subaru did mass advertising for this car to be made for the masses?

goneD4rk

Banned
Still waiting to see where Scion/Subaru did mass advertising for this car to be made for the masses?

they did hell of a lot more advertisement than say the Rx8,
crz, csi, mazda 3, genesis, evo, and sti.

More people recognize the frs, car nut or not. :paddle:

and it is also offered in automatic, for the posers

and Toyota-scion is not exactly a niche car company ever since they killed Mr.two and the Super Supra.

hairyblackrabbit

Powerful like a gorilla
More people recognize the frs, car nut or not. :paddle:

I have at least as many people ask me what it is as people that know about it. Really kind of a mix.

My heavily modded forester flys under everyones radar, the frs bone stock draws head turns, honks, revs, tc fly bys, conversations in parking lots and gas pumps and a request by a middle aged man for a walk in the woods alone.

It pulls mad dick.

and Toyota-scion is not exactly a niche car company ever since they killed Mr.two and the Super Supra.

its a 2+2 where the +2 is less useful than a donut spare. It was not designed for and is not suitable for the majority of auto shoppers. It isn't suitable for people with children or friends. Its really only suitable for people who like driving and those that are forever alone, which makes it ideal for a number of people here. But no fatties, cause that would slow down the race car.

What this car is is what would happen if you take the lotus motto and forget to add lightness.

How does that make it not niche?

Sterling

Steel Tip
Car(s)
S3
Even the article lucidity provides.

Scion labels it as a light rear wheel drive sports car.

goneD4rk

Banned
I have at least as many people ask me what it is as people that know about it. Really kind of a mix.

My heavily modded forester flys under everyones radar, the frs bone stock draws head turns, honks, revs, tc fly bys, conversations in parking lots and gas pumps and a request by a middle aged man for a walk in the woods alone.

It pulls mad dick.

its a 2+2 where the +2 is less useful than a donut spare. It was not designed for and is not suitable for the majority of auto shoppers. It isn't suitable for people with children or friends. Its really only suitable for people who like driving and those that are forever alone, which makes it ideal for a number of people here. But no fatties, cause that would slow down the race car.

What this car is is what would happen if you take the lotus motto and forget to add lightness.

How does that make it not niche?

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/niche

compared to the camry, frs is niche,

compared to the crz, not as niche, more similar to civic coupe. which is not nichy. :happyanim: