GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ford Shelby GT350 Mustang Comes to L.A. With Flat-Plane V-8

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
Cadillac ATS 2.0T is pretty close to Mustang 2.3T pricing if you look at real world as opposed to MSRP. It manages to be 100+ lbs lighter while having 4 doors and a premium badge... and has an engine bay big enough to fit a V8.

Mustang is 7 inches wider and over 5 inches longer..... so there is your extra weight.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
If only the Caddy had a decent automatic transmission...

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
I would be way more interested in paying the premium for this car than the GT500....

The new GT500 isn't out yet... but yes new gen is almost always better than the last.

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
Right, it doesn't need to be that big. Why is a little pony as big as a midsize sedan?

It is not meant to be "little". It is a perfect blend of performance when you want it and comfort when you need it. It is a GT cruiser, not a hard nosed track machine. I think that fact is lost on most people because its performance data could put it in class with some hard nosed performers. They offer style, performance and enough comfort to make it a nice DD with enough fun for all.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Right, it doesn't need to be that big. Why is a little pony as big as a midsize sedan?

Because they used the last ancient platform and stretched it to make it seem like it was lower/sleeker without spending money on going all out on an all new platform.

The Mustang is the only RWD ford car platform left. Everything else went FWD so they are going cheap to save money. Adding that IRS is really not a big deal because that particular platform is modular enough to support both as the previous gens had both IRS and Non IRS rear suspension setups on the same platform.

GM is using the ATS platform and spreading it across god knows how many models, ford is too lazy at this moment so they have a huge cost advantage over ford in this case.

What they (Ford) should do is bring lincoln back to RWD and make real cars and offer a watered down non luxo version and call it a mustang. But that likely won't happen for a while. They were strapped for cash bad over the last 10 years and are only finally starting to spend some decent money on cars and take some chances.

frank5o

Passed Driver's Ed
Because they used the last ancient platform and stretched it to make it seem like it was lower/sleeker without spending money on going all out on an all new platform.

The Mustang is the only RWD ford car platform left. Everything else went FWD so they are going cheap to save money. Adding that IRS is really not a big deal because that particular platform is modular enough to support both as the previous gens had both IRS and Non IRS rear suspension setups on the same platform.

GM is using the ATS platform and spreading it across god knows how many models, ford is too lazy at this moment so they have a huge cost advantage over ford in this case.

What they (Ford) should do is bring lincoln back to RWD and make real cars and offer a watered down non luxo version and call it a mustang. But that likely won't happen for a while. They were strapped for cash bad over the last 10 years and are only finally starting to spend some decent money on cars and take some chances.

Good point. If I remember correctly the s197 chassis the 05 + mustang is based on came from the Lincoln LS/Jaguar platform. Until they put forth some monetary effort to build a lighter and physically smaller rear wheel drive platform, the mustang will continue to be a heavy " GT cruiser "...that is unappealing as a drivers car in my opinion.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion

:word:

SwiftGTI

Go Kart Champion
It does not handle like a boat. Jesus. It would put what you drive to shame in any handling test.

Couldn't find a way or just simply do not need to? They could, but why? To appeal to people who would not even buy the car anyways? They know their market, and build the car that best serves that. Not the small amount of people screaming for a lightweight car with low power. FRS and BRZ are low volume cars partly because they only appeal to a very limited audience to start with.

:laugh: I'll take you more seriously when you actually drive my FR-S and a Mustang GT on the track.

As to why, that doesn't matter to me. I have no interest in making sure Ford's pockets are lined or that they appeal to the greatest volume of people. If that's their goal, they should just turn the Mustang GT into a halfway decent minivan or any other appliance car for the masses.

Fact is, the Mustang GT at 3800+ lbs. is heavier than a midsize SEDAN, but doesn't even have usable rear seats. Yeah I get what you're saying that the Mustang wasn't meant to be a lightweight sports car, but even for a muscle car, that's just too fat.

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion

Ding winner! LOL Its size is so old news given technology on many fronts these days. Needless and shows how little thought really goes into it. Independent suspension has been around how long??

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion
I have a hard time believing Ford couldn't find a way to cut weight and size on the Mustang, and make the GT handle less boat-like if they put some effort into it. They don't really have any incentive since, as Max points out, Mustang sales are robust. As long as Ford continues to chase the largest common denominator, the Mustang will remain heavy and large.

The price point for this model is way beyond the market. It is where Vette sales are though - over 50 etc with money. Prime Boomer territory. Not so much a car of the young!

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
Ding winner! LOL Its size is so old news given technology on many fronts these days. Needless and shows how little thought really goes into it. Independent suspension has been around how long??

Are you going to jump all over Chevy for continuing to use a pushrod engine when "better" technology exists?

Old tech or not, there is no denying that even with a live axle that car was a serious handler. There are times when new does not necessarily mean better. It was just fine with a live axle.

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
:laugh: I'll take you more seriously when you actually drive my FR-S and a Mustang GT on the track.

As to why, that doesn't matter to me. I have no interest in making sure Ford's pockets are lined or that they appeal to the greatest volume of people. If that's their goal, they should just turn the Mustang GT into a halfway decent minivan or any other appliance car for the masses.

Fact is, the Mustang GT at 3800+ lbs. is heavier than a midsize SEDAN, but doesn't even have usable rear seats. Yeah I get what you're saying that the Mustang wasn't meant to be a lightweight sports car, but even for a muscle car, that's just too fat.

I would not be caught dead in that underpowered tin can. That car is so much of a joke, Toyota could not even make it on their own... :laugh:

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Are you going to jump all over Chevy for continuing to use a pushrod engine when "better" technology exists?

Old tech or not, there is no denying that even with a live axle that car was a serious handler. There are times when new does not necessarily mean better. It was just fine with a live axle.

I see your point but I also see theirs. They are not wrong for ragging on the stang for being 3800 lbs. Yes it is a great car but it is also a pig. Personally I think other than the size/weight of the car and how poorly it is packaged it is a great car.

Every car has its drawbacks weight/packaging is the mustangs.

The BRZs drawback is the lack of an engine. If the BRZ even had the ford TurBRO 2.3 it would be game over... against almost any other car under 100k
It is hard to argue the fact that the BRZ has the same interior space as a mustang that;
weighs 1000lbs more
is 22 inches! longer
6 inches wider
3 inches taller