GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Funny Audi Comic RE: Avant models, etc. (Troy, click here)

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
I can get behind this. Gas saved, space saved, materials saved. Less potential weight for some housewife to throw around blindly switching lanes without looking. It would be nice if everyone had to really justify the reasons which they bought their car, but that will never happen.

Men in this country have some kind of stigma about driving wagons. It is not so in Europe. America has this thing with size. We buy big, assertive vehicles in which to be big and assert ourselves. We will run out of space at some point.

Europeans would love to drive what we drive, but they are shafted up the ass with various taxes based on engine size etc etc etc.

SO they get the biggest cars they can powered by the smallest engines it isn't some wagon nirvana where everyone drives a RS6 Avant that costs the equivalent of 200k here.

Its more like a Audi A4 avant powered by a 1.4 liter TSI making 100hp with a 5 speed manual and roll up windows. That's what you see every day.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
Its more like a Audi A4 avant powered by a 1.4 liter TSI making 100hp with a 5 speed manual and roll up windows. That's what you see every day.

You don't think people here would buy something like a 1.6 TDI JSW with 7-speed dry-clutch DSG getting 50+ mpg with as much space as a Grand Cherokee for $25k?

People buy the Prius V, it would be the same damn thing.

DDKing13

Ready to race!
At the end of the day, a wagon is more practical for daily use than an SUV in today's world, in my opinion. Most people live in the city or a suburban, so offroading is NOT going to happen. Wagons are more fuel efficient, smaller in size, yet are still able to hold about the same amount of people/cargo.

The only reason Audi wagons, for example, are more expensive is because of the name. Don't try to say that there is no place for wagons in America purely because of the price, because you can easily get a VW, Acura, or dodge wagon for about the same price as an SUV.

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with SUVs. My father has had his Suburban for my entire life, so i know how valuable it can be. But i'm not convinced that a wagon couldn't handle the same amount of carrying capacity.

The only knock on wagons that I'll give the nod to the SUV is towing. I have yet to see a wagon pull a giant boat or Mobile Home, but the percentage of people who would need to tow something that big is nothing compared to the general population.

Wagons FTW.
Unless you're in that small percentage of people who need to tow a lot of weight.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
You don't think people here would buy something like a 1.6 TDI JSW with 7-speed dry-clutch DSG getting 50+ mpg with as much space as a Grand Cherokee for $25k?

People buy the Prius V, it would be the same damn thing.

The current TDI Sportwagen is a nice utilitarian car. The TDI with DSG starts at 27,350 it isn't exactly cheap. It is rated at 29/39 which I find to be fairly accurate, the 1.6 won't average anywhere near 50mpg. The prius runs on donkey piss regular and has a really proven drivetrain.

The TDIs tend to be a lot more maintenance heavy and cost of ownership is not that cheap.

That said you know which route I went so I am biased. But I wouldn't necessarily recommend a VW diesel to anyone out of warranty.

outshined

Go Kart Champion
Y'all are completely overlooking mass. I think that's a fairly big factor for a lot of people buying SUVs.

Stadpad

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2011 VW GTI
make this...

mattdibart

Go Kart Champion
I think everyone except Merkle has overlooked the fact that most of the people in North America buy a car for it's looks rather then it's specs. Most families spending 40k+ on an SUV just to drive to the mall really could care less about fuel efficiency or that you can fit an extra backpack in the wagon. Almost every person I know would take an SUV over a wagon for the looks. Personally I just hate the look of a wagon and I think most North Americans would agree. They are willing to sacrifice some performance or storage space to be in something they deem to look better.

GlfSprtCT1

Go Kart Champion
*cough* Add rs3 to the list *cough*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk