GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Just got deployed - FORCED!!!

GodSquadMandrake

Radioactive Rotary Rocket
Nothing beats the thrill and excitement of real danger. But I am 24 and by the time I am 36 I can imagine it would get old and there would be more important things like family to think about. It's nice to check that off the list and say "Yep I went there and did that." because not everyone gets to. It's nice to live your own adventure and not just watch it in movies. It comes at a huge cost though. %99 suck and 1% fun stuff that you see in the Army commercials.

Callsign_Jester

traction is for pussies
Good luck, assuming it's your first deployment it would seem there's plenty of knowledge in this thread about getting your affairs in order if you have any questions or if your unit leaves you hanging. Take it easy until then and enjoy your holidays stateside.

I just started paperwork today to transfer into the IRR. Got put into a fucked up Reserve unit after active duty did one of my tours with them and definitely ready to get as far away from the "command" as possible.

Tempted2Speed

is cooler than you
Car(s)
2007 GTI CW 6MT
No disrespect or anything liek that but Ive had a question in my mind that Ive really never asked for years on end.

What makes you guys want to go to the army and risk death?

Please honest answers not the whole goarmy.com commercial "the say it doesnt exist but I held it in my hand" stuff lol

GodSquadMandrake

Radioactive Rotary Rocket
Some men live long lives, but have never really lived. I admire Colin McRae who always raced all out with %100 dedication without being scared by the risk. Or even Steve Irwin who accomplished so much in his short life and shared his passion for animals with the world. James Dean is a hero of mine too. He spent his entire earnings from his first blockbuster on a Porsche and was very dedicated to racing. He was on his way to race when he died in that Porsche. They all died young but they lived more than most and left an impression on the world and inspired us.

Some things are worth fighting and dieing for. Not all of us who take that risk die but 13 soldiers from my Brigade made that sacrifice last deployment. I don't know if that helps you understand. I know it didn't make sense to me either.

I guess for me when I was in Iraq and I would wake up every day and get ready for a patrol it was just doing my job. I didn't think about the danger, just what I had to do. It was worth it because we were accomplishing something important. It felt like I was actually doing something meaningful and rewarding every day. There is a desire to fight and win and an instinctual blood thirstiness in me, I don't know if that's everybody and I don't expect everyone to understand either. But when they gave me a reason, attacking me or hurting someone else, that was all I needed. I wasn't afraid when bad things happened, just focused. But when you are driving around and you've already hit 1 or 2 IED's on the same road it's hard not to think about hitting another one and getting unlucky.

Usually I don't talk about it not because it's hard to talk about, but because other people don't understand and they like to judge.

Callsign_Jester

traction is for pussies
Usually I don't talk about it not because it's hard to talk about, but because other people don't understand and they like to judge.

There's a lot of truth in what you wrote, I find this to be the truest of it all.

As hard as we try to explain our reasoning, some will just never understand and that is perhaps the most frustrating thing I have ever experienced in my life. I gave up trying to reason with people a long time ago, my explanations fall upon deaf and indifferent ears.

The answer is "simple", everyone has a different reason.

Some do it for the thrill, some for the sense of purpose, yet others do it because they need a way out of the life they were living back home. Todays military is a complexity that few can ever understand without living it.

Me? I come from a long lineage of service, something that I am particularly proud of. A family tradition of public service and giving back to my community, something I was taught from a young age to appreciate. That was my driving force and to this day it still is in everything I try to accomplish in life.

plac

GTI Master
I guess some people are just more selfish. I love every minute of my life day by day, and i couldnt think about it ending early. Of course I'm married with a kid soon (hopefully).

-jakrbt-

.:R32 OG
:respekt::respekt::respekt:

Good luck over there, man! And I'm sure you'll hear it a lot, but THANKS!

And to everyone that's been/going on a tour, we really appreciate all you guys/gals do. We could not have the freedoms we enjoy from day to day without your sacrifice.

HipToss

Behind the iron sights
Car(s)
2008 GTI
I have been to Bosnia, Iraq, Afghanistan, and a few other places for a short while. Total time over seas has been more then 12 years. What I do, is a very specialized talent. I have been ASKED to go for 3 months to assist in a situation. I keep up on all various trainging, spent a few weeks at SIG's, and done some recent LRT.

Funny as I was just talking to Blackwater, since I have been unemployed for about 9 months now.

Time to get somemore beer!

njfast07

Go Kart Champion
OIF III vet here, keep your head down. Enjoy the ride as best you can, you'll make some incredible friends along the way at least. Respect.

do a lot of that.

good luck, and thank you for your service. The dub community anxiously awaits your return :respekt: