GOLFMKV

Official College Football Smack-Talk Thread

slow91

Car Audio Guru
Go Horns..........:23:

On a side note...... USC = DAMN.........:eyebulge:

CTtornado

Ready to race!
thats why usc is ranked high they destroy teams like yesterday. besides yesterday osu has looked average, and during those games they were one int or 3 and out away from giving the other team enough momentum to win. not much changed this weekend besides byu losing like every other ranked team on thurs nights. all top 10 teams look good, it sucks if texas, bama, and penn state run the table PSU will get the shit end of the stick for the NC game. but i cant blame the system going undefeated in the sec or big 12 esp south is alot harder than the big ten. we will see alot of football to go.

CTtornado

Ready to race!
OSU fans stop crying about your rank.

LBKEN41

Too close for missiles...
Car(s)
2007 UG GTI 2-door
thats why usc is ranked high they destroy teams like yesterday. besides yesterday osu has looked average, and during those games they were one int or 3 and out away from giving the other team enough momentum to win. not much changed this weekend besides byu losing like every other ranked team on thurs nights. all top 10 teams look good, it sucks if texas, bama, and penn state run the table PSU will get the shit end of the stick for the NC game. but i cant blame the system going undefeated in the sec or big 12 esp south is alot harder than the big ten. we will see alot of football to go.

I sincerely don't think Bama will run the table. LSU and Auburn still left. If they can, they most definitely deserve to be #1 as well. After seeing Texas whoop up Mizzou, I have little doubt that they should be in the BCS title game. Still, Oklahoma State and Texas Tech stand in their way after this bye-week. It's a good time to be a Texas fan. If PSU can get past OSU they should run the table. They looked dominate in that second half...watch out for OSU....again.

69-0...second shut out in two weeks. The only problem I have is that we should have been playing like that all season. This next weekend is actually tough for us. Arizona is a good team that plays well at home. BTW, anyone notice they have a Freshman running back at 5'8" (listed) 180 pounds with good cuts? Oregon State all over again? :yikes:

Uh Boise State back as a BCS buster? Oh and Tulsa?! Anyone see their schedule? All they have is Arkansas really. They should beat everyone else on that schedule. I can see them being the "Where the heck did you come from" team of 2008 missing out on the BCS.

Car(s)
MkV R32
There is really no reason we should lose any games for the res of our season. Its not that hard I know, but we should still be #9 or #10 by the end of the season if we win from here on out and get a bowl game.

I like Texas for the national ship.

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
Just seen on ESPN where they were possibly looking at Penn State and USC being in the NC game. Were saying the other top 5 teams were in tough conferences and had too many good games to make it through. Where as Penn State only has to beat Ohio State and they should be done, and USC doesn't play a single ranked team for the rest of the year. Then again, they stated that USC having such a weak schedule may hurt them with the computer rankings down the road, so that a tougher scheduled #6 or 7 ranked team could squeeze past them.

I know it's all too early. Just stating what was being said.

In other news, looks like Florida got the shaft again. ESPN was also talking about this and the headline on the tv said "Will someone tell me why overrated USC and OSU are ranked higher than Florida?"

LBKEN41

Car(s)
2007 UG GTI 2-door
Just seen on ESPN where they were possibly looking at Penn State and USC being in the NC game. Were saying the other top 5 teams were in tough conferences and had too many good games to make it through. Where as Penn State only has to beat Ohio State and they should be done, and USC doesn't play a single ranked team for the rest of the year. Then again, they stated that USC having such a weak schedule may hurt them with the computer rankings down the road, so that a tougher scheduled #6 or 7 ranked team could squeeze past them.

I know it's all too early. Just stating what was being said.

In other news, looks like Florida got the shaft again. ESPN was also talking about this and the headline on the tv said "Will someone tell me why overrated USC and OSU are ranked higher than Florida?"

Florida did get the shaft, but it's early. Eh I don't think we can say either USC or OSU are overrated, but that is a valid question and I would like to know as well. Especially why they're not ahead of USC. I guess Oregon State is considered to be a better team than Miss. State.:iono:

gatorfast

man amongst boys
The computers dont like Florida right now. However if Florida wins out I think they will be playing for the BCS. Only way they might not make it would be if there were multiple unbeaten teams.

Doctor7474

Ready to race!
It makes me sick to hear people say things like "If USC/OSU/Penn St win this week then they don't have to play any more tough teams so they should win out and get to the national championship game". Since when does the easy road get the reward? One of the worst things about college football, teams can have easy scheduled games and make there way to the national championship. Thats how we get shitty games for the national championship like the last 2 where Ohio St got destroyed. I truly believe if Penn St ends up the only undefeated team in the country and there are Big 12 or SEC teams with only 1 loss then Penn St should not play for the championship. Easy should not be rewarded.

Speaking of Big 12.....

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=schlabach_mark&id=3651458

gatorfast

man amongst boys
^ I agree. I think losses are penalized too much and wins not rewarded enough. Quality wins should be able to make up for losing a game. A team with 1 loss but multiple high quality wins should be ahead of an undefeated team with an easier schedule. Not talking about any teams specifically, just my general philosophy.

LBKEN41

Car(s)
2007 UG GTI 2-door
I totally agree with that notion however you also have to consider the fact that these teams did beat good teams before. Like I said though, there have been many cases where a one loss team is far better than a team that is undefeated. That is why Hawaii didn't make it to the BCS Title game last year. That is why co-champions occur. I think it stinks, but this is why the BCS is more about money and not the best matchups. Only a couple times has the BCS pitted the two best teams in the country with one another.

Speaking of quality wins, the SEC is experiencing what some conferences have experienced before. Certainly the Pac-10 and ACC come to mind, but the ACC, PAC-10 and Big 10 can't really compete with the top teams in the SEC or even Big 12 this year. That is an overall look. The most recent memory for me is the Pac-10 (sorry I'm a Pac-10 guy). The teams feed off each other (much like the SEC this year) and beat every non-Pac-10 team they face, but don't get any love with the BCS when they lose to a conference team. Oregon and Cal are perfect examples. In any case lots of football to be played. I would also like to see if the offenses in the SEC can be sustained over the next several years as well. We certainly know they have the D at least in conference play, but can they put up the points against other conferences.

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
It makes me sick to hear people say things like "If USC/OSU/Penn St win this week then they don't have to play any more tough teams so they should win out and get to the national championship game". Since when does the easy road get the reward?
I agree, but haven't heard anyone saying that the easy road gets the reward. Like I was saying, ESPN stated that they simply thought the other three teams were probably going to lose toward the end of the season (which like it or not hurts in the computers) and even then they stated that USC may not make it due to the fact that they don't face another ranked team all year, which may result in a number 6 or 7 team passing them up. So yeah, easy doesn't necessarily mean you get the reward. Regardless, there's still plenty of football to be played this year.

LBKEN41 brings up a good point though. All these ranked teams have beat good teams before, or along the way this season. I'm sure they all deserve to be where they are. The BCS is the BCS and we've all got our complaints with it. Hence all the controversy it faces every year. It is what it is.

In other news: I'll be over here crossing my fingers and hoping for an Ohio State win over Penn State. I'm not one for stats. But if in fact Penn State beats us, it will be a first. They've been in the Big 10 since 1993 (I think) and haven't won a conference game here yet. I think there last win in Columbus was in '78 or something like that. Then again, they've got a hell of a team this year. And I've seen the Gameday guys on ESPN calling them the most "complete" team in College ball right now. If we could somehow win, it seems it would catapult us up the polls.

LBKEN41

Car(s)
2007 UG GTI 2-door
I agree, but haven't heard anyone saying that the easy road gets the reward.

LBKEN41 brings up a good point though.

In other news: I'll be over here crossing my fingers and hoping for an Ohio State win over Penn State. I'm not one for stats. But if in fact Penn State beats us, it will be a first. They've been in the Big 10 since 1993 (I think) and haven't won a conference game here yet. I think there last win in Columbus was in '78 or something like that. Then again, they've got a hell of a team this year. And I've seen the Gameday guys on ESPN calling them the most "complete" team in College ball right now. If we could somehow win, it seems it would catapult us up the polls.

Yeah, I haven't heard anything either and heard exactly what you said. USC may not make it because of the weak remaining schedule.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

You guys have them in Columbus...that is a BIG advantage for you guys. I gotta say it...Go Buckeyes!:biggrin: