GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What is RSMark5 working on now!?

RSMark5

Go Kart Champion
What is RSMark5 working on now!? (Saab build)

So, me and my friends work work on cars in our free time. I don't want to keep multiple threads for all the stuff I'm working on so I'm condensing it all for your viewing pleasure at home into 1 thread. I like weird and interesting cars and trade them frequently. I'm not one to party, and spending time in the garage is what I love to do. If its what you love to do too, chime in. Tell a story. Gimme your $0.02. Tell me I'm wrong. Show me what you're working on Who cares!? Its my thread.

Its kind of a long story, but earlier this year I aquired this 74 beetle.

Some one thought it was a great idea to cut the roof off and make it into a convertible. Clearly they hadn't thought it through. So, the body was twisted, rusted out, pans were pretty beat, but it ran! I enjoyed it a while this summer tooling around town in it (thats not me driving) but for the most part its been sitting in a backyard since June.

About the same time, I aquired this 87 Jetta coupe that was mid transplant.

So, we got to work on both of them.

Pile of VW parts.

So the story is, the 87 Jetta is a CE1 car. It needed to have CE2 for a VR to ever work right. That meant rewiring pretty much the whole car. So, I had never done it before, none of my friends had done it before. I was pretty confident we could do it, but we were in over our heads. We didn't pull the harnesses out of the doner car, so we had no direction which to head where it went.

We did eventually get it to look mostly like a car though.

But then Hurricane Irene came.

Nothing really happend, except a tree branch came through the garage roof. So we had to clear out for several weeks, and I really had no where to take the Jetta. Plus, I was in over my head and didn't know where else to go on it. It had been sitting a few weeks.

So, I trade it away straight up for this 93 Saab 9000 Aero. 258k miles on it. 2.3L B234R. 225hp 258tq. Uses a Mitsubishi TD04 turbo. Its famous for being faster 50-75mph than a Ferrari testorossa. Not many people know anything about Saabs, so I'm here to tell you! Awesome cars. :biggrin:

It has these amazing recaro designed seats. Its like sitting on a nice old broken in leather sofa. The headrest were designed so that when you have passengers asleep, and you're whipping the car around, their head doesn't slide off the headrest and wake them up.

Similar theme in the back seat with bucket style rear seat.

Some one obviously went to ebay and found a vacuum line kit.

Its got this really trick airplane style dash and cluster. The a/c vents you can turn 360* so you can angle it exactly where you want. Its got this really trick trip computer where you can input the distance to your destination in miles, and it'll calculate based on you're average speed time of arrival, fuel consumption all that interesting stuff. Its also got a CD player and equalizer which was made by Clarion. I think thats pretty damn high-tech for 93.

So anyway, I'm finally stoked with my car collection. But my buddy Spears whos garage we're always in decided it was time to work on his project Rustang as I call it.

He went out to look at a hood from this guy.

But then we wanted to out there and look at a few more parts, and the more it came down it we came home with this.

Annnnnnd back to work.

Sooooo, in the middle of this. I'm really enjoying my saab. But, I MAY have gotten a little over zealous with the burn outs. Suddenly the clutch was burning up and smoking like a chimney every time I drove it. So I ordered a clutch, and headed to h2o.

Clutch came in quick so I let my buddy Spears go ahead and take the car apart. I came home to this.

Cleaned it up.

Was trying to install the throwout bearing. But the lip thats supposed to hold the bearing and spring on was totally worn out. There was no way to keep that SOB from popping off and not lining up when sliding the tranny to the pressure plate and flywheel. So, insert duct tape. OD green, military grade. Only the best. :biggrin:

And back in the hole.

Then a few weeks later, Another motor out.

And another one going in.

This was also a 5sp swap. So had to change out harnesses and pedals and ECU and a few other things. So was not all that pleasant.

But. It does live.

:biggrin: May want to turn it down.

So since the Saab was good and running great, the rustang was finally up and going and reliable again. It was time to move in a new project. Back to the bug. Insert buggy.

Gave $165 for it. Its made of an old trampoline, and a hog feeder. No joke. :biggrin: it's been run through the mudbog but the transaxle is seized and the motor is missing.

Well, just in luck.

Ohhhhh poor bug. let the destruction begin. It lead a good life, but some twisted owner sealed your fate long before I go there.

Whoops. :lol:

Something tells me this is not how this is supposed to go.

Oh well, good nights work. This was always something I wanted to do. It finally happened. Couldn't have been more excited.

Forgot some useful bits. Wiring harness, gauges, radio switches etc....

Problem solved.

So, don't you love when people use materials inppropriately? I sure do. Some one had filled the fender cavity with that GreatStuff foam. Making it impossible to pull the wiring harness through like we needed to. Soooooo back to destroying shit.

Gutting complete.

:biggrin: Gonna use the nose of the bug as a push bumper on my buggy.

So, thats where that project is sitting as of this minute. You won't believe whats gonna come next. :lol:

And today, I got to fall back in love with the Saab again. It spent a good ammount of its life in TX OK and NY, so its paint was pretty tortured. Also the car sat outside for 5 years not running. So I'm no detail master, but I had a canister of poishing compound and some free time today, sooooo this is what I came up with. No more pink doors and faded body panels. Single stage paint came right back to life.

So this is my life. I had been not sharing this stuff, but I get questions about it all the time. So this is what I do! :attention_whore:

Last edited:

BoardSnow6

Banned
Car(s)
Capita Scaremaster
Theres probably going to be more useful information in this thread than there will be on the rest of this site... :thumbsup:

RSMark5

Go Kart Champion
Kinda sad my poor bug has been reduced to this :lol:

Should have got a carfax.

Buggy is finally in the houuuuuuse. Nice. Time to get to work.

So everything is 100% working on my old bug, but the body was junk. Everything is half assed and and ghetto rigged on the buggy. So, our current plan is to split the cage off its chassis, and transfer it over to my chassis. Its only welded in 8 different spots. and it'd be a whole hell of a lot easier than transfering my rear torsion over to that hacked up chassis. Its not a traditional barrien frame. This was made in some ones backyard, out of an old trampoline. No shit. Wish I was kidding. But the frame is SOLID. Welded really well together. Guys who built it obviously did a lot of planning and measured twice and cut once. Because everything for the most part is symetrical. I want to come back in, and add a couple gussets, and braces in a few places. But for the most part its good. I also want to add a harness bar behind the seats so I can run a 4 point. Saftey is my main concern. I don't ever plan for it to be road legal. Just something for a whole lot of laughs.

So, while its just sitting here and we're planning. We're trying to mock up a push bumper for the front, using the rear bumper and nose from the bug. Haha. Whatever? Just for kicks right?

RSMark5

Go Kart Champion
SUB'D!!!. Keep the saab. I think they're awesome

Man, I can't get rid of the saab. That would break my heart. Its crossed my mind a few times, but I'm in it until it dies. And maybe a little after.

:thumbsup:
:wub:

I know I know I know. Dumb purchases are dumb.

In for this!
:wink: HI DUSTIN! I know you love an aircooled as much as I do. At least I've still got the heart of one.

intense! def sub'd
Thank you sir! Doing what I love best

Like camping.

Hi Mark :thumbsup:

:thumbup::thumbup: HI CHRIS!

:wub:

Subscribed fo sho'.

Thank you sir. I love that old car so much. Man after cleaning the shit out of the the other day its like a whole new car now. Feels like a proper luxury car, mixed with an old couch.

Theres probably going to be more useful information in this thread than there will be on the rest of this site... :thumbsup:

Haha, I dunno if I'd go THAT far, but I'm here to answer questions on pretty much any topic. Haha, its my thread. I'll talk about any car you want!

sub'd cuz the OP is a baller. :p

:wub: Come to SoWo.

I've always like the Viggen, be cool if you could source some parts from it to your car. Nice!

Mmmmm I love a viggen too. Really cool cars. Its like a 2dr version of my car, (only a tad slower :wink). See the thing most people DON'T know about 9K Saabs is that its a crossplatform much like Subaru BRZ/Toyota FR-S/Scion GT-R whatever it is. The 9K is really an Alfa Romeo 164, and a Lancia Thema. We never get Themas in the US to my knowledge, but we DID get 164's one project a few months down the road (due to a bad blower motor anyway) is to dash swap a 164 dash into mine.

I have confirmed that they share the same electronics and have all the same mounting points. Its just a wishful project because of just how rare those cars are, and finding a clean dash is just ambitious.