GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY: Diverter Valve Change - tips

soze

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Something Else
I found this tool worked great. Along with a 5mm bit. I got it at a Murray's discount auto for $7.

That tool was magnificent. Got it at Kragen's 1/2 off tool sale for $4.50

Cybe

GolfMK5 Graduate
Car(s)
89, 97 Jetta, 07 GTI
You can do this with a standard allen wrench with the car on ramps, FWIW. I like the T-handled ones myself.

TravisMKV

So I wanted to thank the community for putting together such outstanding DIY's. I just popped my mechanic cherry on my MKV by swapping out the DV with a "D" version of the valve. My "B" version took a dump and once I got it removed I saw there was a small tear in one of the internal rubber pieces.

I'd like to add my .02 cents for what it's worth. I located a set of hex sockets and was unable to use them for the following reason.. They were 3/8" drive which just won't fit in at the right angle. Like the original poster writes - the socket must be a 1/4" drive to fit. So since I already had the car jacked up I figured I could accomplish the task with the allen key set that I have. I found it very cumbersome but I was able to get the bolts in and out. For the top bolt I had to stick the long end in which of course gave me no leverage whatsoever. To overcome this obstacle I used a shaft from a "reversible" screwdriver. This proved quite handy and gave me the leverage that was needed.

Another point that I want to make is that if you have never removed an electrical connector from a VW is to practice with one from the top side under the hood first. This allowed me to get my technique for how to remove the connector. It's a 45 degree angle in from the wire side of the connector. You stick it in the square and then pry towards the wires and simply pull off.

Hope my comments help.

And seriously - This is soooo true -> 7. go for a drive stupid! your car is fast again! :happyanim:

07DSG

Ready to race!
Just did this, sort of a PITA. Access is very tight. As Travis said above, I had to use an allen key too, I guess you need a 1/4 drive and I was using a 3/8.
I used an allen key set with removable T-handle from home depot.

Can't believe the difference this has made on my car, amazing.

Last edited:

Cornbread

Ready to race!
Just replaced my stock dv with this one http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_V--2.0T/Search/Diverter/ES263879/

The install was quick and easy just using a set of 12,000lb rhino ramps.

Just wanted to pitch in and say yes this can be done without too much issue using an allen wrench and a shaft from a screw driver ( as Travis MKV said).
Also when un-doing the electrical plug, i found the easiest way was to push the whole clip together ( just like you would as if you were putting it back together) then insert a standard screw driver into the square box looking thingy on the top of the clip, and just twisting the blade a little bit, you will head a slight click you then just simply pull the unit apart.
Also make sure when removing your origional dv that the yellow o-ring ( the big one that goes around the outer most part of the unit ) comes off. Mine stayed on the car when I took it off and I almost missed it when I put the new one back on.

GREAT DIY mose6161!!!
Thanks

plac

GTI Master
thanks for the tips. im swapping mine today. maybe ill go buy the correct allen socket ahead of time just to make it easier than an allen wrench.

GTI_MMM

hello , nice diy , thanks , i`ve bought my gti last week and now i have a question , the dv valve craks only from chipped models ? i bought my gti with this valve cracked ...i`ve changed it 3 days ago and it goes like a roket now :) ... i don`t know if i have a modded software ... how can i find out if i have without going to a dyno ! thanks , sorry for my english .

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
First Thanks for the post it was very helpful. I thought I would add a few pics and additional info. Trying to figure out how to remove the electrical connector without breaking anything took the longest. Few pics below will explain how they work if you find you need the info. Also below is the old ruptured part and the new factory replacement which as you can see has been upgraded.

Diverter2.jpg

Diverter3.jpg

Diverter4.jpg

Diverter5.jpg

tehwhiteegg

White Egg
Car(s)
2006 mkv gti
Anyone know the list in terms of having a shit dv in order? I'm pretty sure i have a revision d but I'm not near the car now. Just wondering for when I reflash..

plac

GTI Master
Something weird.. i notice my flutter a lot more now. No intake, no downpipe. But after having an intake i guess i know what to listen for. now bone stock i hear the flutter easily when i step into it and let go. at some point during this i changed to the piston DV style. i wonder if this style makes more flutter than the older diaphram style?

ken vw

I really think i need to upgrade my dv simply because these orange rubber ones are notorious for breaking and leaking. My question is should i get the upgraded VW OEM piston DV? i found one shop just US$69.99 + shipping
http://www.bold-sport.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=91

or the forge DV??
and for those of you who say forge please explain why because the forge is almost 200 dollars more than the OEM one.

:bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow: