GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Brake upgrades for the track

mike2727

Ready to race!
Good tip. This is usually reiterated a few times in HPDE1 classroom sessions but it doesn't hurt to say it again.

As for the "HPS+" pads- there's no such thing, it's HPS or HP+ :biggrin:

Sorry you are right I ment the HP+ pads, nice for the road not for the track

Mike

mkvtg37

women = cunts
Car(s)
ferrari
very good information... now here is a noob brake question:

do you have to upgrade both the front and rear brake systems or can you just upgrade and improve one (if you are going big brake kit for example)?

johnny love

don't be an asshat.
good threads, Meat! you might also want to mention the Tyrolsport bushings :thumbup:

mike2727 said:
I switched to XP10's and XP8's in the rear, [...], they cannot be beat at the track as Meat said, they are the best I ever used at the track

sure the XP10s can be beat: try XP12 or XP16.

mkvtg37 said:
do you have to upgrade both the front and rear brake systems or can you just upgrade and improve one (if you are going big brake kit for example)?

with the kits i've seen, you don't need to upgrade the rear rotors. the rears do too much work as it is.

Meat

rack rack 'em
Car(s)
2007 GTI [DSG]
good threads, Meat! you might also want to mention the Tyrolsport bushings :thumbup:

sure the XP10s can be beat: try XP12 or XP16.

with the kits i've seen, you don't need to upgrade the rear rotors. the rears do too much work as it is.

I'll make a mention of them.

And one more note: as you've told me, the XP12's and 16's can be too much for street tires to handle.

mike2727

Ready to race!
very good information... now here is a noob brake question:

You do not have to upgrade the rears, but you should use comparable pads in the rear, if you go BBK make sure they are balanced with the stock rears, the StopTechs I have are balanced with the stock rears

Mike

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
As in, the tires will lock up too quickly right Dan? R compounds or those pads aren't even necessary in a ~3100lb car.

Meat

rack rack 'em
Car(s)
2007 GTI [DSG]
even xp10s with street tires, the tires will overheat WAY before the brake pads will

yep, my Azenis 615's would start to get greasy well before the pads would start to fade. I haven't had a problem with the pads fading since I removed the dust shields, but I have had the tires still get a bit too hot a few times.

The xp12's and xp16's are also much more aggressive compounds that generate greater levels of braking torque- that makes lockups (or ABS intrusion) much more likely.