GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Finally; A functional intake

eurocars

5/17/15 - Never forget
Car(s)
2006 GTI
i'ld think there would be more air movement in general on the open driver side. plus you can mount the intake filter slightly further from the engine on that side.

just throwing ideas out there, not bashing your work eric, looks great so far!

notice how the stock intake pulls air in from the drivers side above the radiator support? Im going to modify the passenger side to look exactly the same. Im assuming that it will negate the area that is currently blocked. I'll confirm it with iat logging

You really need a headset for ps3 so we can talk about this. Theyre sereiously 12 bucks from walmart...

Looks fucking killer man.

thanks. I play on my roommates ps3 and he whores it out most of the time (justifiably...its his afterall) and i just never really use the headset because its a pita. I'll start using it more

TechnikSLR

Ready to race!
why not route it further down into the well?

lunchbox1987

Ready to race!
Car(s)
emmmmkaaaay5
Are you worried about the serp belt throwing water into the filter when its raining hard? I doubt it'll be a lot to cause any kid of damage but the idea of water being flung at the air filter worries me a little bit.

t.c. gtimkv

Steath mode
Car(s)
07 UG MKV 4door
Looks clean. I just wonder how much belt dust the filter will collect. I would have really tried to make an oval maf section. Please post logs when done. Sub'd for final product.

dubbin

All in, All out..
Car(s)
09 GTI
Phil@BSH had this very same design on his car at wustefest last year, im surprised they are not advertising it, but i think it is a better idea, good work man that looks solid..

Right side intake is an awesome mod for the car, cools the air just that much more. A bunch of BT peeps have these, so if a 3" tube can work, this will work fine.

Check your LTFTs after a few days and report back, i might do something like this, maybe even add in an air straightener.

eurocars

5/17/15 - Never forget
Car(s)
2006 GTI
relocate the battery to the trunk? pics?

Just a plywood floor for now. haven't decided what to wrap it in or if i should wrap it at all. I still have to build a box for the battery but everything is in and functional otherwise. pics:

Right side intake is an awesome mod for the car, cools the air just that much more. A bunch of BT peeps have these, so if a 3" tube can work, this will work fine.

Check your LTFTs after a few days and report back, i might do something like this, maybe even add in an air straightener.

I looked into adding a honeycomb air straightener right before the maf, but i wasnt sure how to do it. the material is so thin that it cant be welded/brazed and the bead roller i have access to only rolls beads out not in. I've been looking into the aem airflow straightener for their mx-5 intakes

interested..

I've thought about making more if there was enough interest. I'll keep everyone posted here.

Last edited:

Flapenn

2011 Wheel Gap Champion
wondering where the battery went also....
edit- cant see pics of where u put the battery , sry

and Phil@bsh had the same intake?? where did he put his catch can or does he even rock his own product?

Viking445

Souless Day Walkin Ginger
I looked into adding a honeycomb air straightener right before the maf, but i wasnt sure how to do it. the material is so thin that it cant be welded/brazed and the bead roller i have access to only rolls beads out not in. I've been looking into the aem airflow straightener for their mx-5 intakes

I'v been thinking about this too. You can weld little tabs that a section of honeycomb can rest on.