GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

W6050 only this thread

FJ_Steve

Age shall not weary him
Amazing....last year, he was trying to sell the business.

DaveOZ

Ready to race!
Not sure if this has been noted before but it looks like Rob from Auspack (the original seller of the AVC-9000) is now selling the WD6050 on his website.

Well I know where I would be buying from if I didn't already have one. Local support would be nice given all the problems noted on here. I never dealt with Rob but from what I have read on the AVC-9000 his support has been good.

Ylian

Passed Driver's Ed
Rear-view camera story

I got my rear view camera installed last night and tried it for the first time in day light today and was not impressed. It's a black and white camera and is over-saturated with light during the day time. Certainly, not the best quality camera around. Still, works ok. I wish the unit would keep the radio sound while I am backing up and viewing the rear-view camera.

On a related story, I was worried about running the camera video + power wire from the front to the rear of the car. Last night I have the cable going thru the center of the cabin and that was just not acceptable. Today, I ran the wire over the passenger glove box, removed a few pieces to the right of the glove box (the snap on and off) and was able to run the cable to the floor on the right passenger side without problem. I could then run it on the floor without it being visible and passed the rear seats to the trunk. Completely hidden so far. Tomorrow, I will work on hiding the wire in the trunk.

I snapped a few pictures, I can't say I like it that much. The camera is much larger then I expected. I will follow the advice of this forum and order a different camera that can be installed above the license place.

(Full Album Here)

I did not yet clear up the wire from the camera, so it's dangling right now. For people wondering how I wired the camera. I mentioned in my last large post that I got a security camera wire that had both video and power connectors at each end. The wire fits perfectly both video and power connectors on the camera. I connected the video signal to the "Camera" input, and power red line to the "ACC" cable that comes out of the head unit. I then connected the black power cable to the any ground... I used a TV antenna adapter to give me a good ground, but any ground will work.

Ylian

Last edited:

samps

Car(s)
'06 GTI
I've read the first 10 pages of this thread and I'm pretty tempted to get one of these. Will read the remainder in the coming days. Against the standard in dash stacker unit in my '06 GTI, how much better is the audio quality with this unit? Thanks.

mrx

Connoisseur
Car(s)
2007 CW Golf GTI 5dr
I connected the video signal to the "Camera" input, and power red line to the "ACC" cable that comes out of the head unit.

You mean you've connected to the red ACC wire going into the head unit? I don't know how you're getting away with this?! Did you measure the voltage on this wire before connection? Is it 12V? Does the voltage maintain 12V with your accessories connected to this wire? By my own logic of every car stereo I have installed (and there have been many) the ACC (red wire) should be connected to the accessory position of the ignition key, so that the head unit knows when to turn off/on. In the new VW's this is not necessary as it gets this info from the canbus. I've looked at the circuit diagrams provided by Oskar, and this confirms that it is an ACC input in the traditional sense. There are two reasons I can think of, why this might be working; they have done something strange with the canbus/module wiring loom because the signal is not needed for the VW. The circuit diagrams weren't supplied for the canbus module; OR, the voltage is being held high by a pullup resistor, and the small amount of current you are drawing isn't enough to lower the voltage enough for you to notice.

All accessories powered by the headunit should be connected to the blue p-cont/ant amp wire! Only relatively low current devices should be connected. ie. Don't try and power your external audio amp off it, but a remote turn on signal for the amp would be fine, as would an antenna amp, reversing camera, iPod charger, etc.

Reversing cameras

I think we need to find out who is selling this camera , fits into the Volkswagen plate light and looks much cleaner, previously shown on this thread , I cant find anyone selling them on Ebay . Audiosources.net only sell them in 50's,

Tensixty6

Old & Senile
Not sure if this has been noted before but it looks like Rob from Auspack (the original seller of the AVC-9000) is now selling the WD6050 on his website.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/auspacks/productPage12.html

I have no affiliation with Auspack or any other seller but if anyone is looking for a means to buy this unit locally then this might suit a few people.
Apologies if this has been noted before.

Cheers

The unit that Auspack is selling offers either iGO or TomTom GPS software. Most of the people that have bought the WD6050 seem to go for iGO. Is TomTom not as good?

buckm

I've read the first 10 pages of this thread and I'm pretty tempted to get one of these. Will read the remainder in the coming days. Against the standard in dash stacker unit in my '06 GTI, how much better is the audio quality with this unit? Thanks.

Its well worth reading the rest of the forum, specifically the last 20 pages or so as it applies to the new version WD6051. From all accounts the sound quality is as good as a the RCD300, although depends on your speakers

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
Car(s)
VW GTI MKVI
pics of said camera above?? There are just so many pages of this thread I apologize it's hard to go back and find!