GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

W6050 only this thread

jav

Passed Driver's Ed
I paid $540usd which equates to $840aud. This include shipment and 5% paypal fee.
I have recieved a dhl number , so I hope this means he's actually packed and sent it!

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
Car(s)
VW GTI MKVI
Eureka! I have finally got the text to speech working 100% and I have found the brightness adjustment and contrast hidden deep in the Windows CE options... now I can actually see the screen during the day :) After much playing around, I have this unit exactly the way I wanted it. Whoohoo!

Anyone who is on the fence about this thing... it's awesome.

mrx

Connoisseur
Car(s)
2007 CW Golf GTI 5dr
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3121070
This link explains how to pull dash apart.

I was REAL careful and 2 trim fixers broke off. Luckily can be reglued.
Also one vent louvres sprang into 20 pieces in footwell... still there atm!
Have not finished my install yet as I want to put extensions on the camera and TV leads so I dont need to remove a 2nd time.:(

All seems to be working other than the dimmer for the knobs when lights on, screen dims.
I joined pink wire to grey benind light sw.
This end changes voltage when you rotate knob ok. The pink wire on W6050 has 12volts on it though and wont let signal vary ??
BUT lights still dim on dash, strange..

Maybe grey is wrong wire, maybe grey purple or grey white?

Anyway time to stop for the day.

Bazzle

Yes, those louvres are a bit of a bitch if you accidentally separate them from the rest! After getting into that spot many times before, I did that for the first time the other day - it took longer to put that back together than the rest of the install!

If when you disconnect the illum wire & the voltage varies on the grey wire when you turn the dial, then you are connecting to the right wire on the switch. The illum wire should have no voltage (or a very small one) on it - certainly not 12V. It sounds to me like maybe the loom has been incorrectly assembled, or incorrectly labelled? What voltage do the p-cont and acc wires have on them? What you're experiencing sounds to me like you're feeding 12V into the car's dash lighting circuit, as would happen if you connected up the p-cont wire.

I still haven't hooked up any of the 3 unwired wires to anything.... anyone have a positive experience with wiring them up?

If you're interior illumination is wound right up then I wouldn't bother. If you like the lighting dim, and want the head unit to match everything else, then it's necessary.

wow this unit looks the goods!!!

Can it also play movies from I-Pod or just the music?

Supposed to be able to, and the appropriate menu is available, but don't know for sure - none of the iPods I have connected so far have had any videos on them.

You just have to load a TTS compatible voice and select it in your preferences. I find that it cheats sometimes though because on major freeways and highways, it says the highway number instead of the name eg S26 instead of Leach Hwy.

So what exactly does TTS do for me? Does it just say, for example, "turn left at leach highway" instead of saying "take the next left"?

I paid $540usd which equates to $840aud. This include shipment and 5% paypal fee.

They are probably sick of sending out one item at a time. I get the feeling that US$380 is supposed to be their wholesale price if you are buying the unit in reasonable quantities. Glad I got mine when I did. Just wait until there is an Australian distributor and the price doubles!

I have found the brightness adjustment and contrast hidden deep in the Windows CE options... now I can actually see the screen during the day :) After much playing around, I have this unit exactly the way I wanted it. Whoohoo!

Do you mean the brightness & contrast for just the GPS? or have you somehow found a way to access the windows CE operating system?

gh172

Ready to race!
Hey BAZZLE, did your unit come with the digital tv tuner intergrated with the unit or did it come as a seperate component?
My DHL tracking info said that my unit had cleared processing in Perth at 9-27am yesterday but it didn't get delivered yesterday as yours did. Im spewing, probably wont come until Monday now as the tracking info hasn't changed.

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
Car(s)
VW GTI MKVI
after I got my tracking number it only took like 3-4 days to the US. Your in aus so it should be faster no?

Lima

Vorsprung durch technik

debuch

Eureka! I have finally got the text to speech working 100% and I have found the brightness adjustment and contrast hidden deep in the Windows CE options... now I can actually see the screen during the day :) After much playing around, I have this unit exactly the way I wanted it. Whoohoo!

Anyone who is on the fence about this thing... it's awesome.
Can you please tell us what you did to achieve this. debuch

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
Car(s)
VW GTI MKVI
If you take out the sd card with gps on it while the player is ON in the car then navigate to the NAVI screen... it will tell you there is no GPS software (no kidding) ... just touch the screen for that message to go away... now poke around with the settings at the bottom of that screen. The options for screen contrast are one screen to the right ( >> arrow on the right will get you there) ... you can reposition the screen, brightness, contrast and the shape of it too. I turned up the brightness and the contrast a little... too much and it looks really fuzzy! But at least there is an option, it's just hiding ;-)

mrx

Connoisseur
Car(s)
2007 CW Golf GTI 5dr
If you take out the sd card with gps on it while the player is ON in the car then navigate to the NAVI screen... it will tell you there is no GPS software (no kidding) ... just touch the screen for that message to go away... now poke around with the settings at the bottom of that screen. The options for screen contrast are one screen to the right ( >> arrow on the right will get you there) ... you can reposition the screen, brightness, contrast and the shape of it too. I turned up the brightness and the contrast a little... too much and it looks really fuzzy! But at least there is an option, it's just hiding ;-)

Oh, so you did just mean the GPS screen brightness - it won't affect the rest. You can also get into these menus by selecting "exit" from the GPS software you are running - no need to remove the card.

bazzle

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MY08 R32 Silver 3dr
Hmm, I don't think anything broke when I was taking those photos??? Certainly everything was put back together with no issues at all with fit or rattles.

Yeah, mine broke off 2 of those bits like yours. Super glue worked great. Have a look at the pic. You will see the silver bit with 2 black dots. Thats the broken plastic tags.
The spring steel bit is still att to dash.

Bazzle

bazzle

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MY08 R32 Silver 3dr
Im getting a constant clicking sound when on Navi and radio in background.

EdiT: follows the flashing red cursor on Navi screen, need to find out how to change/edit?

2nd Edit: Turned off power save and clicking noise "appears" to have gone....

I have IGo8.
Info is great, even knows local speedlimit, its and says Im over speed :(

Anyone have a linky for another nav software to trial :)

Bazzle

Last edited:

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
Car(s)
VW GTI MKVI
lol, I drove my fiance to the airport yesterday and the GPS goes, "DING, you are driving over the speed limit" ... I look down and I'm going 75 in a 55 and it says that on the GPS screen too... how do I cover up chronic speeding now!? Turned that feature off when I got home ;-):thumbsup:

I'd also be interested in trying out some other GPS software just for kicks... I love iGO but I'm always looking for a custom look. I tried to "skin" iGO8 but I have failed numerous times now. The skin folder is still grayed out on the unit even when I put skins in it.... anyone know how to skin iGO8?