GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

W6050 only this thread

kv12

Ready to race!
They would be on break for Chinese New Year.

Today is Friday in China, hopefully they can box up our orders and ship it out before they go on break. :)

I almost forgot about Chinese New Years.

murts

Hi guys, I'm just on the point of placing an order for the WD6050 but hoped you could alleviate a couple of concerns first.

1. Dialling from the phone book, someone said it was dreadfully slow, does this work okay for anyone as it's one of the major reasons I want the unit.

2. Swapping between 2 paired phones, is this possible ? i.e. me and the wife use the same car independently and don't want to have to manually pair each time we get in the car, Parrot does this fine.

3. Microphone for calling, how is this without an external mic ?

4. Pity the SD card is non SDHC but does it play mp3s off dual layer DVD-R okay ?

5. What's the deal with warranty ? pay the costs to send it back to Waywell if it breaks ?

I've actually started a thread on a UK SEAT forum about this unit at http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?p=2243322&posted=1#post2243322

I'll share any info on there thanks........

bazzle

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MY08 R32 Silver 3dr
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3121070
This link explains how to pull dash apart.

I was REAL careful and 2 trim fixers broke off. Luckily can be reglued.
Also one vent louvres sprang into 20 pieces in footwell... still there atm!
Have not finished my install yet as I want to put extensions on the camera and TV leads so I dont need to remove a 2nd time.:(

All seems to be working other than the dimmer for the knobs when lights on, screen dims.
I joined pink wire to grey benind light sw.
This end changes voltage when you rotate knob ok. The pink wire on W6050 has 12volts on it though and wont let signal vary ??
BUT lights still dim on dash, strange..

Maybe grey is wrong wire, maybe grey purple or grey white?

Anyway time to stop for the day.

Bazzle

jav

Passed Driver's Ed
JAV

Hi everyone,
I'm new to this thread and would like to introduce myself. My name is Javid and I live in Melbourne, Australia and own a 2007 gti with dsg and I'd like to share info and knowledge with everybody on the forum. Thanx.

I have just purchased the WD6050 today and the Fish Lee at Waywell said he will tell me the DHL number tomorrow, so I hope that means he will send it today before their holidays. Can't wait. :smile:

Lima

Vorsprung durch technik
Shitballs, I've just seen this thread. Might get a bit interested in one of these. :thumbsup:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3121070
This link explains how to pull dash apart.

I was REAL careful and 2 trim fixers broke off. Luckily can be reglued.
Also one vent louvres sprang into 20 pieces in footwell... still there atm!
Have not finished my install yet as I want to put extensions on the camera and TV leads so I dont need to remove a 2nd time.:(

All seems to be working other than the dimmer for the knobs when lights on, screen dims.
I joined pink wire to grey benind light sw.
This end changes voltage when you rotate knob ok. The pink wire on W6050 has 12volts on it though and wont let signal vary ??
BUT lights still dim on dash, strange..

Maybe grey is wrong wire, maybe grey purple or grey white?

Anyway time to stop for the day.

Bazzle

I have some pics of pulling the dash apart HERE. (I never finished the HK install as I need an adaptor which I've not got around to buying.)

faisan

Ready to race!
I have pulled apart the centre console 4 tiimes now and can get the stereo out in about 5 minutes with no tools apart from the torx screw driver.

After a bit of pratice it gets easier and the parts are looser. The MKV dash is actually designed quite well for removal. There is also heaps of space behind the stereo and behind the climate control knobs to hide cables and control boxes etc.

One tip I can share is that I dont bother totally removing the top trim piece with the hazard light. The cable for the hazard light is long enough for you to just pop off this piece and rest it on the dash out of the way.

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
Car(s)
VW GTI MKVI
For the person who asked above, the unit plays DVD DUAL LAYER MP3s just fine :) Made my 8.5gb disc yesterday and gave it a whirl! Have to admit, I miss the 6-cd changer MUCH less when I have 16 cds worth of music on one freekin DVD disc.

I still haven't hooked up any of the 3 unwired wires to anything.... anyone have a positive experience with wiring them up? Going on my first real GPS excursion today to the airport... we'll see how it holds the road when you are around a million other roads. My Garmin used to get SOOO confused when you drove in a mass of roads.

This weekend I am on a mission to get the text to speech working on the iGO8 software. Got a 2nd SD card to mess around with it so I don't screw up my original... AGAIN! lol

Hilton_K

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2007 GTI
wow this unit looks the goods!!!

Can it also play movies from I-Pod or just the music?

faisan

Ready to race!
This weekend I am on a mission to get the text to speech working on the iGO8 software. Got a 2nd SD card to mess around with it so I don't screw up my original... AGAIN! lol

You just have to load a TTS compatible voice and select it in your preferences. I find that it cheats sometimes though because on major freeways and highways, it says the highway number instead of the name eg S26 instead of Leach Hwy.

murts

jav & kv12 what unit price did Fish Lee give you, he is saying $450 to me. That's $450 before delivery/Paypal fee etc......

Last edited:

kv12

Ready to race!
Yeah I was qouted $450 as well as the price has went up. You can imagine it's been a hot item for them. I just got my tracking code from Fish Lee and paitiently waiting for mines to come in :)

mooselander

Passed Driver's Ed
jav & kv12 what unit price did Fish Lee give you, he is saying $450 to me. That's $450 before delivery/Paypay fee etc......

I ordered mine a couple evenings ago. Just got the DHL tracking number today, but the price did go up to $450 USD. With shipping to the US, Paypal fees and an SD card my total was $540.

mooselander

Passed Driver's Ed
For anyone that needs an SD card larger than 2GB, you may want to check out this one:

Transcend - Flash memory card - 4 GB - 133x - SD
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012ZL56A

I ordered one last week and it works fine in my Witson/AVC-9000, so I'm expecting that it'll also work in my WD6050 when it arrives. This transcend SD card is NOT SDHC, so it should work with all normal readers.

Total was $12.68 USD shipped to the USA.

bazzle

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MY08 R32 Silver 3dr
Shitballs, I've just seen this thread. Might get a bit interested in one of these. :thumbsup:

I have some pics of pulling the dash apart HERE. (I never finished the HK install as I need an adaptor which I've not got around to buying.)

Good pix :thumbsup:

Yours also broke off a tab http://27772.smugmug.com/gallery/3187773_ryYDx#175593513_WEfoY (Silver bit with 2 black dots)

Im going to superglue back on and use plastic grease on the metal tangs when I reinstall.

Bazzle

warhead

Passed Driver's Ed
What on earth, people who ordered later than me have either already received their units or DHL tracking numbers.

I've sent them 2 follow up emails and have heard nothing back.

I think I'm going to try and call them today, but it's only 6am in China right now