GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Will's Air Build

germanbycar

Go Kart Champion
Thanks all.

Today I attempted to take a 2in hole saw to a thin sheet of aluminum.

In a matter of moments, my hard work had been turned into a useless pile of ashes.

But from the ashes rose a phoenix.

Fits better, looks better, and once the stain drys, will look classy.

TwentyonePSI

Crody
Car(s)
FSI
Great idea with the wood, but I would suggest using a nice piece of hardwood instead of the plywood you have there. It won't cost you anything to find a small piece like that in a remainder bin at a specialty wood store. It will look 100% better, I promise you.

germanbycar

Go Kart Champion
then throw on some clear and sand then more clear then sand them more then sand and it will look like glass. did that to a bunch of stuff at work and came out really nice.
:thumbsup: Thanks for the advice man!

Great idea with the wood, but I would suggest using a nice piece of hardwood instead of the plywood you have there. It won't cost you anything to find a small piece like that in a remainder bin at a specialty wood store. It will look 100% better, I promise you.

Honestly, I do think I am going to re do it. This'll look way better!

vwangler

Keep ur $ I <3 my clunker
Car(s)
2008 MKV GTI
If you ever want to put holes in thin sheet metal in the future, I'd recommend a set of of knockout punches like this:

http://www.harborfreight.com/knockout-punch-kit-91201.html

I purchased this set, and found that they needed a bit of sharpening with a fine tooth file... but a high powered drill + a conventional hole saw will do nothing but shred thin sheet metal. After a bit of sharpening these have worked great for me, perfect holes with no distortion. HF claims it will do 10ga... but I seriously doubt the bolts could withstand the torque needed to get through 1/8" mild steel. Should be perfect for what you need though.

germanbycar

Go Kart Champion
If you ever want to put holes in thin sheet metal in the future, I'd recommend a set of of knockout punches like this:

http://www.harborfreight.com/knockout-punch-kit-91201.html

I purchased this set, and found that they needed a bit of sharpening with a fine tooth file... but a high powered drill + a conventional hole saw will do nothing but shred thin sheet metal. After a bit of sharpening these have worked great for me, perfect holes with no distortion. HF claims it will do 10ga... but I seriously doubt the bolts could withstand the torque needed to get through 1/8" mild steel. Should be perfect for what you need though.

Those look neat. Too bad no hf near me.

I missed this. I like!
whoop!

love how much this has evolved.

I laid out and measured an actual piece of hardwood flooring to use tomorrow. Gauge pod mk3 will be the best one yet...I hope. Haha.

The rest of the management gets here Tuesday.

With regards to work/time I hope to have the fronts in by Thursday (won't happen) and then I'm just waiting on rears to get here. So I'll have a half bagged car for a couple days.