GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Custom parts interest

eurocars

5/17/15 - Never forget
Car(s)
2006 GTI
I've been toying with the idea of making custom parts for FSI and TSI owners. Since i've made so many parts for my own car that i've gotten used to fabricating one-off pieces and how to engineer them correctly. I get PM's all the time asking about the passenger side intake I made a while back and have thought about making a few to sell. These would be made to order parts. Pictures for reference:

Old bay picture:

I have also figured out how to get rid of the OE expansion take and lines that run behind the head (atleast for fsi's, havent looked into tsi's yet). I know how to keep the low coolant light off as well from when I made my custom coolant bar. I havent made this part yet, other than the large expansion bar that I made previously so I would have to make one for someone or myself to test.

Another product that might have some interest is a simple battery relocate to the front framerail. It would use a small battery (odyssey or braille) that bolts to the front framerail behind the bumper. Changing the battery out would require removing the bumper, but disconnect would be sinple with the use of a switched breaker.

What im wondering is how much interest there is in products like these? Would it be worth my time to make a few or would I end up buying the parts to make them just to have a finished product end up sitting on the shelves in my garage? I know everyone and their mother makes an intake, but no one makes a "production" intake that sits on the passenger side. One of the only factors holding me back is cost. For example: I've figured out a way to extend the MAF harness on the TSI with no splicing, but the harness would cost around $100 alone.

If you haven't noticed, most of these parts would be designed to help clean up the engine bay. Im working on making "tuck" harnesses, but those are still a ways away. Who would be interested in parts like these?

drtechy

How you doin?
Car(s)
2008 TR GTI
Eric, wanna measure a passenger side intake for my beetle at sowo? Would love to have another one

eurocars

5/17/15 - Never forget
Car(s)
2006 GTI
Im guessing you would have to have access to the car to be able to make custom parts right?
Cts turbo is taking forever with my turbo outlet pipe

in some instances yes. Things like the intakes, coolant pipes etc all replace a single piece of factory hardware. With your non oe turbo, etc, it makes it more difficult because its not something that can be replicated or modified from a factory design

ViRtUaLheretic

╭∩╮(︶__︶&#6
Car(s)
2009 VW GTI
Im in for a passenger intake. :thumbsup:
I can test fit the coolant bar for the TSI if needed, but I dont think I would be really interested.

eurocars

5/17/15 - Never forget
Car(s)
2006 GTI
Im in for a passenger intake. :thumbsup:
I can test fit the coolant bar for the TSI if needed, but I dont think I would be really interested.

I wouldnt make a bar, I didnt really like that design either thats why i sold it. The new design would replace the upper radiator hose. I know a guy with a mk5 tsi in town, so ill see if i can make one here and let you try it out as well

drtechy

How you doin?
Car(s)
2008 TR GTI
I wouldnt make a bar, I didnt really like that design either thats why i sold it. The new design would replace the upper radiator hose. I know a guy with a mk5 tsi in town, so ill see if i can make one here and let you try it out as well

Would love to get rid of that ugly coolant reservoir too!

HereticByDefault

Go Kart Champion
It might be a while from now, but I'm gonna do some testing on airflow and IATs with my GT28 and VF intake. If there's room to grow, I'll surely be interested in a passenger side intake.