GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Alternative to RNS-510 Navigation/Bluetooth...

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
Car(s)
VW GTI MKVI
^^are you in the US? Did you get a version of iGO8 that works over here? ALl I have seen is iGO overseas but no US maps... maybe they put them out?

This unit looks awesome for $500... can the DVD be used while in motion for my passenger on road trips?

dbduke

Go Kart Champion
quaz - Thank you for posting the review. It looks great!

Do you mind answering a couple other questions?

Where did you get the alternative GPS software, and how did you get it to work with their unit?

How did you wire the ipod dock? Where do the cables run?

BarneyBoy

...and it's only a 1.4?
Car(s)
Mk5 Golf GT
quaz - one more question:

what are the contact details for buying one the way you did?

warhead

Passed Driver's Ed
Just ordered one of these, got sick of waiting for Auspack. It also looks more OEM to me which I consider important and most other specs are similar to others posted here and with TomTom which I like.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DOUBLE-DIN-VW...39:1|66:2|65:12|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Will let you know how it goes...... :w00t:

Paul

From the looks of it, I think the guts are the same as the AVC9000 which auspack sells

The screenshots of the interface looks identical. And I couldn't find anywhere on the site where it says it comes with TomTom.

Did you post the wrong ebay link??

Paul_OH

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf GT TSI
I couldn't find anywhere on the site where it says it comes with TomTom.

Did you post the wrong ebay link??

G'day,
I've had some correspondence with the seller and he advised this. Hopefully it does and it all works as stated.

Paul

aussie mkv gti

YM09 GTI, DSG, Black, RNS
hi mav

He's Chinese FFS, English isn't his first language. You want to buy from Chinese people then you have to accept that often their websites and listings are going to have spelling mistakes.

Sent you a "private email" as i need to get cracking on blue tooth kit, could you please call me on 0419274279 and ill call you back so we can chat about best way forward for me?
Cheers, matt

Skodillac

Just got Witson 720 unit... could someone please send me that modified sys.txt and data.zip! IGO software is working but the whole screen is not now in use bcause of the wrong resolution.

...by email is ok (you can find it from the profile).

Anyone else experiencing poor Radio performance? ...any solutions to this? Have to say that the original MFD2 unit wasn´t also very good at receiving FM-radiosignals but this is even worse. :( Crappy antenna or bad ground connection?

Passat4Ever

Just got Witson 720 unit... could someone please send me that modified sys.txt and data.zip! IGO software is working but the whole screen is not now in use bcause of the wrong resolution.

...by email is ok (you can find it from the profile).

Anyone else experiencing poor Radio performance? ...any solutions to this? Have to say that the original MFD2 unit wasn´t also very good at receiving FM-radiosignals but this is even worse. :( Crappy antenna or bad ground connection?

could poor radio performance be that the radio transmissions are in mono. Default the radio plays in mono. You have to set the radio to stereo manually.
Procedure is to disable RDS first in the settings, go to radio, you now see the st button, select it to turn transmissions in stereo, afterwards switch RDS back on.

Skodillac

Done that allready.... figured that stereo setting out myself.

The problem is that there is interference and static noice even in the city, where the signal really should be powerfull enough.

DiMmY

Looking for a quick answer here...

My Dad is about to buy a Passat R36 via lease (either tomorrow (Friday) or Monday), and he needs to know which options to request. Now, I was originally looking at the AVC-9000, but from what I've gathered from the last 2-3 pages is that there are other alternatives that may be better!

What is the best unit to buy and where can you get them from? Seems pretty stupid to pay $2.5k for the RNS-510 + another $700 odd for the bluetooth when you can buy a unit for <$1k that does both + more.

Last edited:

Maverick

Go Kart Champion
Looking for a quick answer here...

My Dad is about to buy a Passat R36 via lease (either tomorrow (Friday) or Monday), and he needs to know which options to request. Now, I was originally looking at the AVC-9000, but from what I've gathered from the last 2-3 pages is that there are other alternatives that may be better!

What is the best unit to buy and where can you get them from? Seems pretty stupid to pay $2.5k for the RNS-510 + another $700 odd for the bluetooth when you can buy a unit for <$1k that does both + more.

It may do more but it doesn't do anything better. Does it integrate into the car properly? Nope. Does it give a reverse camera with parking assist? Nope? Does it have a hard drive? Nope. Do the reverse sensor integrate into the sat nav? Nope. and so forth.

He's leasing the car, why would he shell out $1000 + install on a $60K + car when he can get the RNS510 with the car, with full warranty and financed as part of the deal.

By your logic, why get the Passat for $60K+ when a $20K+ Hyundai will do?

DiMmY

It may do more but it doesn't do anything better. Does it integrate into the car properly? Nope. Does it give a reverse camera with parking assist? Nope? Does it have a hard drive? Nope. Do the reverse sensor integrate into the sat nav? Nope. and so forth.

He's leasing the car, why would he shell out $1000 + install on a $60K + car when he can get the RNS510 with the car, with full warranty and financed as part of the deal.

By your logic, why get the Passat for $60K+ when a $20K+ Hyundai will do?

Well... fair enough. But we have to take into consideration my dad is an old polish tight arse =P Just had a quick talk to him and we kinda both decided it may be worthwhile on taking the RNS-510, simple for the full integration and comfort in knowing it will work seamlessly. That being said, not like the R36 sedan can have a reverse camera anyway =P Lease is giving a rather decent discount, with euro plates, dynaudio, GPS, bluetooth and mudflaps (would be about $81k RRP) they are saying $63k!

Thanks for your input :)