GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Letter/Petition to VWOA: Cam Follower Issue

Do you think VW should fix this issues via recall or some other means?

• Yes

Votes: 531 97.8%
  • No

Votes: 12 2.2%

• Total voters

Lucidity

Marx
The point of this thread is to get the MKV BPY community together in order to force VWOA into producing a solution to this faulty and poorly designed product on our cars. If your cam follower were to fail out of warranty you'd be paying close to 2000 dollars to fix it, and many dealerships won't simply check to see if your follower is going without having codes. So if we could draft a letter or petition of some sort to let VWOA we know about this issue, and that we demand that it be fixed that would be great.

So basically if you want something like this done click yes on the poll and voice your opinion down below and sign via your screen name.

Edit: It has been suggested that we start to call VWoA, and I think this is a good idea. I am in the process of getting the personal emails and numbers of some executives at VWoA so when I do I will make sure to post them so we can all call and email them about this situation. If I end up getting them, it will be due to help from the consumerist. Feel free to email them to convince them to get us this info!

One exec email thanks to 3In2Out Volkswagen Martin Winterkorn, Chief Executive - martin.winterkorn@volkswagen.de

Update 7/12/09: I'm going to start searching for a law firm to pick up this case starting Monday. Hopefully VW will have responded to one of us by then, but if not I got some really great advice from my uncle about how to pitch this to potential law firms.

Update: New email address: kundenbetreuung@volkswagen.de

Update: Upon getting a call from the VWoA executive offices I have decided to also post up the normal methods of contact for VW in addition. Keep emailing and keep calling please!

Phone:1-800-822-8987

volktalk@vw.com

COPY AND PASTE THIS INTO YOUR EMAIL

To Volkswagen of America, Volkswagen of Canada, Audi of America, and Audi of Canada,

We, the owners of your vehicles equipped with the 2.0T FSI engine, are writing to you to fix the severe engineering issues that revolve around the failure of the cam follower on the high pressure fuel pump. This flaw of engineering can and will cause severe engine damage if the cam follower is not checked and replaced if needed. There is no scheduled maintenance for this particular part, nor will this part cause a check engine light until it has failed. As owners and loyal customers of yours we request you come up with a solution for all owners of this engine with this design flaw. Whether this fix occur by free replacement and checking at regular intervals of the cam follower itself, or a complete redesign of the part and or high pressure pump system, we request that this issue be resolved.

Last edited:

leviathan18

Ready to race!
i do

critical part of our car.

leviathan18.- Axel Cortez

Zach L

VR junkie
I'd be down to sign/support anything you can come up with. I think VW should have done something on their own long ago.

Zach L - Zach Langan - San Marcos, TX

vlm7

Passed Driver's Ed
I think this campaign should be expanded to Audi of America as well and include all of the FSI motors that are affected by the cam design.

piston

Options
Those who have had their Cam Follower fail/wear down, were you modded/chipped/flashed or had any other engine/power mods?

Just curious to see if the majority of the reported issues is related to increasing the engine powerband beyond stock.

dorn101

Jai Guru Deva Om
Yes.

mose6161

OUT OF COMMISION
Car(s)
MK5 GTI
this isn't a valid petition.

i think you'd need to organize signatures and VIN numbers along with other information verifying the person signing the petition actually owns a GTI.

how about we all call VWOA and bitch.

make a new thread that has a poll that says "did you call VWOA and bitch?" and wait till we get 100 yes's.

DUB2OT

Banned
yea I’m in my warranty is about to run out.

Zach L

VR junkie
I gave my information above but feel I could be very useful in this campaign for a few reasons:

1) I bought my car new
2) Car now has 60,000 miles
3) Car has remained COMPLETELY stock
4) HPFP was already replaced under warranty @ 2X,000 miles
5) Cam follower (and possibly HPFP) need to be replaced again

ihavegti

Ready to race!
I will see if we can draft up an official letter. I am in the process to find legislations that pertain to automotive manufacturers to back up the letter. Whatever we do as a group, we have a better chance if we gather legal resources. One of my colleagues is an attorney at work and I will try to seek his guidance for us.

I might be able to draft a class action letter for all to review. If any one else has a legal background or can access to some, please feel free and help out on this regard.

Thanks!

Rukbars1

I F' with the cougars
this isn't a valid petition.

i think you'd need to organize signatures and VIN numbers along with other information verifying the person signing the petition actually owns a GTI.

how about we all call VWOA and bitch.

make a new thread that has a poll that says "did you call VWOA and bitch?" and wait till we get 100 yes's.

i agree with this dude we should all chip in some money and get one of those annoying machines to keep on calling vwoa and tell them how much this cam follower problem is bull shit. they should make a freaking solution to this shit or atleast make cam followers a lot fuking cheaper like 5-10 dollars would be nice.

mose6161

OUT OF COMMISION
Car(s)
MK5 GTI
\ like 5-10 dollars would be nice.

if that price included the stupid o-ring i would be perfectly happy with that solution.

pulling the fuel pump is about as easy as changing the oil and half as dirty.

and no i don't need any godamn drain tools to get oil out of my car, kitty litter and rags works just fine.