GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Official Rant-About-Work Thread.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
$200 in tips alone holy jesus... That's like working a 100k a year job.

andylaiphoto

Go Kart Champion
I've been in and out of the service industry since I was 15yrs old. The things the OP is mentioning are typical of poorly run restaurants. It all starts from the top down. If the owners are idiots they hire idiot managers. Idiot managers drive away quality staff. Understaffed managers hire out if necessity. Subpar staffing creates an unsavory work atmosphere and turnover becomes an issue. Then factor in if the food is worth a shit or not.

I think you've already made the right step by looking for something else.

DUBPL8

Go Kart Champion
I've been in and out of the service industry since I was 15yrs old. The things the OP is mentioning are typical of poorly run restaurants. It all starts from the top down. If the owners are idiots they hire idiot managers. Idiot managers drive away quality staff. Understaffed managers hire out if necessity. Subpar staffing creates an unsavory work atmosphere and turnover becomes an issue. Then factor in if the food is worth a shit or not.

I think you've already made the right step by looking for something else.

Yup that's why so many family-run restaurants often have family members as staff, less chances of turnover obviously.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
whomever created Microsoft 2010 should be shot.

SkullV

Thunderbunny.....
Car(s)
2010 Tiguan 4Motion

Bartenders at the campus bars at Purdue make 6 figures take home. Servers get close to that number, even the door men at one of the bars (I was one) make $60k+ after tips.

rawbdog

Go Kart Champion
whomever created Microsoft 2010 should be shot.

also whoever created CITRIX should be shot. My work ( and 8 other locations ) run off of one server which i know is just terrible but CITRIX just blows ass. I work at a place that specializes in industrial hydraulics and pneumatics. as of now i just do shipping and receiving and also taking small orders but I really enjoy my job. I make pretty decent money for my age and I can't really complain. The only complaint I have which is getting worse everyday, is there is a "clinic" up the street from my work and we get a lot of crazies walking around. Had a guy last week talking a million miles an hour to himself and then RAN to the coffee (which was cold) and started chugging it. I swear the next crazy that comes in I am going to chop them in the neck. :thumbsup:

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
also whoever created CITRIX should be shot. My work ( and 8 other locations ) run off of one server which i know is just terrible but CITRIX just blows ass. I work at a place that specializes in industrial hydraulics and pneumatics. as of now i just do shipping and receiving and also taking small orders but I really enjoy my job. I make pretty decent money for my age and I can't really complain. The only complaint I have which is getting worse everyday, is there is a "clinic" up the street from my work and we get a lot of crazies walking around. Had a guy last week talking a million miles an hour to himself and then RAN to the coffee (which was cold) and started chugging it. I swear the next crazy that comes in I am going to chop them in the neck. :thumbsup:

yeah, that shit sucks too, we are on that as well.

dubessa

Go Kart Champion
There are certain...*ahem*...establishments that pay rather well.

yeah, funny. but no.

this is based on a friday/saturday night. Most I've made in one night is $300-$350 tips. Keep in mind that I get paid $8/hr. And I don't work full time. Sometimes I only have 2-3 shifts a week. Some shifts can last 2-3 hrs long on a not-so-busy night, and some shifts I work 12 hours straight without eating or taking a piss. When it's not that busy, I expect making $30-50 on a dead night. And that's not enough to pay for my bills.

$200*5*52 = 100k?
Hourly wage is only ~$7k annually on top of that assuming 40 hr weeks.
More like a 59k/year job with those numbers.

And there's a lot of variation, good shifts and bad.

^this sums it up. Only Thursday-Saturnight night shifts have potential for making good money. Day shifts are the worst!

dubessa

Go Kart Champion
There are plenty of places were bartenders and servers can make $400 and up a night consistently. VIP bottle service servers at top night clubs walk with $1500/$2000 on a Friday/Saturday night easy.

Miami probably has a lot of successful restaurants/bars. This is my first serving job so there's no way I'd be able to get into a club and do VIP bottle service lol. But maybe now that I have some experience I could try that out in one of the clubs downtown Toronto. Only downside is walking around and serving in heels... ouch :(

JewFro

Ready to race!
Need to blow off some steam about work...

I had something longer written up but it was definitely a TL/DR post.

25,have been working for a huge electronics company for 1.5 years as an internal SAP consultant for Warehousing and Distribution. They're hiring young people in droves to replace the aging work force that pioneered our SAP system.

The company continually acquires new companies and is obsessed with having $20 billion in sales by 2015. They have us booked solid with SAP implementation projects through 2016 and while that is great for job security it means constantly working to what is nearing my and many others' breaking points. We're constantly on the road, sacrificing our weekends to travel, going in early, leaving late, and often working from the hotel at night. When you travel there is hardly time to hit up a gym, eat, and get some rest. Traveling has its perks but as some of you know its hard to have a normal life when you're on the road all the time.

My main concern is they're promoting some of us beyond our skill level. We're still learning the system but management has recently promoted some of us to project managers. Its a great opportunity but it feels like I'm running around with my head cut off and need to "fake it till' I make it". We're always dealing with people whose company has just been bought and our job is to make them confident in our system and methodology. How can we do that is we aren't truly experts on the system yet? The effort required to stay afloat is taking its toll on many of us and I wonder how long some of us will last. Beyond that they have gotten so aggressive with the project timelines we truly don't have time to do a proper job which leads to nightmarish implentation "go-lives". During a go-live in June at our automotive factories in Mexico many of us worked 100+ hours a week and slept in the factories.

Depending on how the next 6 months go I might be looking for something new next summer.

swfloridamk6

Go Kart Champion
Need to blow off some steam about work...

I had something longer written up but it was definitely a TL/DR post.

25,have been working for a huge electronics company for 1.5 years as an internal SAP consultant for Warehousing and Distribution. They're hiring young people in droves to replace the aging work force that pioneered our SAP system.

The company continually acquires new companies and is obsessed with having $20 billion in sales by 2015. They have us booked solid with SAP implementation projects through 2016 and while that is great for job security it means constantly working to what is nearing my and many others' breaking points. We're constantly on the road, sacrificing our weekends to travel, going in early, leaving late, and often working from the hotel at night. When you travel there is hardly time to hit up a gym, eat, and get some rest. Traveling has its perks but as some of you know its hard to have a normal life when you're on the road all the time.

My main concern is they're promoting some of us beyond our skill level. We're still learning the system but management has recently promoted some of us to project managers. Its a great opportunity but it feels like I'm running around with my head cut off and need to "fake it till' I make it". We're always dealing with people whose company has just been bought and our job is to make them confident in our system and methodology. How can we do that is we aren't truly experts on the system yet? The effort required to stay afloat is taking its toll on many of us and I wonder how long some of us will last. Beyond that they have gotten so aggressive with the project timelines we truly don't have time to do a proper job which leads to nightmarish implentation "go-lives". During a go-live in June at our automotive factories in Mexico many of us worked 100+ hours a week and slept in the factories.

Depending on how the next 6 months go I might be looking for something new next summer.

Paul, you know I got 20 years in the SAP game. Hit me up if you want some tips. Its been a great career for me, but you do need to be able to set limits. You obviously are very smart and management recognizes that. PM me if you want my advise bud.

Rockchops

Go Kart Champion
Just accepted a job offer.