GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Official Rant-About-Work Thread.

Rockchops

Go Kart Champion
Thanks! Marketing manager of sorts...big jump for me! I can't even describe how pumped I am to get it and to FINALLY be out of the insurance industry. Job market is really opening up around here

dubessa

Go Kart Champion
Thanks! Marketing manager of sorts...big jump for me! I can't even describe how pumped I am to get it and to FINALLY be out of the insurance industry. Job market is really opening up around here

Congrats rockchops! marketing is a good choice.

i hate working in the cargo warehouse. i have no motivation to learn the job. i hate being stuck inside.

sounds like you need to look elsewhere!

Rockchops

Go Kart Champion
Thank you! Super competitive but definitely a fun field to be in.

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
Ah, another day, another few dollars. I'm hoping they give me tomorrow off since I've only had one full day off so far this month. At least I'm not on the road this weekend!

Rockchops, I hope the new gig goes well for you!

And JewFro, sounds like a total pain in the ass, but I imagine it'll pay off in the next few years.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Well....I have something to metion. Though its not officially a rant, its more of a reflection on life and prioritizing.

Over the last week, I have been in heavy talks with Joel at APR. I was offered a Job as an engine calibrator and hardware designer. I thought, "What a job to have, right?" Ive always wanted to really hone my automotive engineering skills to specific engine calibration and design. APR surely wouldnt have been a slack job, but I always enjoy the challenges of life and to overcome them in every aspect.

Honda has been excellent to me and I have NO complaints about it whatsoever. Golden handcuffs is a term often used here, much like you would hear in a government position. GREAT benefits and much room to move upwards based on either skill or management. They've been around for years and are not going anywhere soon. That being said, the wife was unable to get a job closer to Auburn and her opportunity up here was, bar none, the best thing she couldve done for herself and for us. She'll definitely be making bank more than me so that was a huge plus.

Was it the best decision? Yes. Was it what I wanted? For skill set....probably not. But overall I think the decision to stay will be one with No regrets.

Lou Maiuri

Banned
Well....I have something to metion. Though its not officially a rant, its more of a reflection on life and prioritizing.

Over the last week, I have been in heavy talks with Joel at APR. I was offered a Job as an engine calibrator and hardware designer. I thought, "What a job to have, right?" Ive always wanted to really hone my automotive engineering skills to specific engine calibration and design. APR surely wouldnt have been a slack job, but I always enjoy the challenges of life and to overcome them in every aspect.

Honda has been excellent to me and I have NO complaints about it whatsoever. Golden handcuffs is a term often used here, much like you would hear in a government position. GREAT benefits and much room to move upwards based on either skill or management. They've been around for years and are not going anywhere soon. That being said, the wife was unable to get a job closer to Auburn and her opportunity up here was, bar none, the best thing she couldve done for herself and for us. She'll definitely be making bank more than me so that was a huge plus.

Was it the best decision? Yes. Was it what I wanted? For skill set....probably not. But overall I think the decision to stay will be one with No regrets.

Seems like a good choice. Its probably hard being offered a somewhat dream job at a company you know inside and out without being able to accept; but it seems that the glass ceiling, so to speak, is much higher at Honda. Unfortunately we all must sell our souls at varying levels in order to make enough to satisfy a personal standard of living. Plus, having the woman make more than you isn't emasculating, its freaking awesome. My girl pulls in 10 grand more than I do and it's awesome splitting checks without that guilty feeling that society has thrown on us that men must pay for everything.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Seems like a good choice. Its probably hard being offered a somewhat dream job at a company you know inside and out without being able to accept; but it seems that the glass ceiling, so to speak, is much higher at Honda. Unfortunately we all must sell our souls at varying levels in order to make enough to satisfy a personal standard of living. Plus, having the woman make more than you isn't emasculating, its freaking awesome. My girl pulls in 10 grand more than I do and it's awesome splitting checks without that guilty feeling that society has thrown on us that men must pay for everything.

Yeah. It was tough turning it down, but I really considered it heavily and really stressed myself out about it trying to THINK how I would make it down there. I even consulted to my wife about driving the 2 hours to and fro to work every day just so she can keep her awesome job. But it just wasnt going to work. In the end...I know I made the right choice.

As for the promotion ceiling....within the last 2 years Honda has really made an effort to promote skill levels to that of management. It used to be a KNOWN path that you must transition to a production "firefighter" to move up in the company. Now, we move up based solely off of skill and are compensated and recognized for it. I could literally work here 25 years, continue to be promoted, and NEVER become a manager of any sort. Its nice knowing that.

I 100% agree with you on the wife thing. Knowing she's making more than me actually makes me HAPPIER. I'm glad to know she's worked hard to get where she's always wanted to be. It really has paid off. Our contributions to the family are equally divided down the middle at 50% of our paychecks. So, technically she'll be contributing MORE, but at an equal share of her earnings. All of this is heavily controlled by our massive excel budget sheet....but its really been stress free having to not worry about the "emotional aspect" behind the money. People get greedy, and I for one....love the fact that she hasnt.

Lou Maiuri

Banned
Yeah. It was tough turning it down, but I really considered it heavily and really stressed myself out about it trying to THINK how I would make it down there. I even consulted to my wife about driving the 2 hours to and fro to work every day just so she can keep her awesome job. But it just wasnt going to work. In the end...I know I made the right choice.

As for the promotion ceiling....within the last 2 years Honda has really made an effort to promote skill levels to that of management. It used to be a KNOWN path that you must transition to a production "firefighter" to move up in the company. Now, we move up based solely off of skill and are compensated and recognized for it. I could literally work here 25 years, continue to be promoted, and NEVER become a manager of any sort. Its nice knowing that.

I 100% agree with you on the wife thing. Knowing she's making more than me actually makes me HAPPIER. I'm glad to know she's worked hard to get where she's always wanted to be. It really has paid off. Our contributions to the family are equally divided down the middle at 50% of our paychecks. So, technically she'll be contributing MORE, but at an equal share of her earnings. All of this is heavily controlled by our massive excel budget sheet....but its really been stress free having to not worry about the "emotional aspect" behind the money. People get greedy, and I for one....love the fact that she hasnt.

Haha it's funny I know a lot of guys (including me) used to make playful jokes about girls being hard workers and book smart in college and high school while touting our knack for cleverness and outside the box thinking. Who would have known that down the road hard working book smarts landed the higher paying jobs.

nik

Go Kart Champion
While I'm in school for finance, I've been living off the tips I make from my waitressing job. I started off amazing when the restaurant first opened. We had awesome business flowing in, and everyone was making a steady amount of money. It was typical to make $200+ in tips in one night.

1 year later and the place is going to shit. Half the staff I started with when the restaurant opened has quit/transferred locations/got fired. Even the managers. New people come and go (which is common with any restaurant but still sucks nonetheless). Business has slowed down drastically now that the hype of a new place is over. We're overstaffed and everyone is getting shat on for hours.

Worst of all, the current management SUCKS BALLS. The place is run by stuck-up bitches who do not know how to read an availability sheet. I've been scheduled a countless amount of times on days that I'm not even available because I'm in class. And when you book days off because you're going to be in another country, count on them to schedule you ALL of those days. Then they tell you to fix their f-ups and find someone to cover your shift that you shouldnt have been scheduled for in the first place!

/rant.

I feel a bit better now. But tell me your stories & tell me what you do for a living, even if you like your job. I know I'm not the only one who wants to punch a baby repeatedly in the face sometimes because of my job.

& Dont worry, your employers are *probably* not going to read this :)

That place needs a visit from John Taffer

I had a manager who blocked me from applying to positions closer to Toronto because I did all his dirty work and people below me were given the opportunity... he also gave you crap if you left on time from work and threw you under the bus for his screw ups. I decided to quit and do my MBA.

Lou Maiuri

Banned
MBA is the path to that six figure salary for sure. My company has partnerships with GWU and Georgetown :thumbup:

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Build confirmations................sigh